The Student Room Group

Go for the safe option? Or aim for exactly what it is you want to do?

Just curious what people's thoughts/actions are when it comes to making a decision to either stick with a current safe option, or really going for something else that you think is what you want more? Especially if you're not sure on the 'other less safe option'

In one of these situations myself (sort of) and, without going into the particular details, just curious how other people feel they behave? Do you always go for the only thing you want to do, or do you settle for something 'less' (even if less is a good option) and safer...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Always go for the thing I want to do. There's no point ever 'settling' in life.
Reply 2
The latter, every time!

Two reasons:

a) What fun is life without risks? The bigger the better :p:
b) Why settle for second best? Choose what you want, and do everything in your power to make it happen. If you fail, you'll know that you did your utmost. And if you succeed, you'll have your dreams in the grasp of your hand :h:
I probably stick with the safe option unless I know I can sort things out if the risky option backfires :colondollar:
I almost always take the riskiest routes and things, because they are what interest me most usually, and it kind of adds a bit of adventure to things :h:

I don't think there is an objective 'best' thing to do. Things vary from person to person; do whatever suits you best.

Obviously, don't be stupid about it though
Reply 5
Go for what you what to do knowing that if you fail you have another stable option to pick up on.
nothing is without risk. but risk is fine, provided one is prepared to live with the risk.
Reply 7
Depends. How much is there to lose?
Reply 8
**** it go for the big-time I say. Should be at least slightly careful though, depends on the situation and you should evaluate if the risk is worth the reward.
Reply 9
Higher Risks= Higher potential gains

that was the first ever economics lesson where I learnt something that I still keep with me.
Reply 10
lol, don't be so ridiculously dramatic.

If it meant you lost the other option of being sure of a good second-best, I'm sure a lot of people would take a moment to think about it. Which is a good thing, really. You should think before you act.
I always go for what I want. I can't stand stand having what if thoughts later on after the moment has passed.
Reply 12
Lefty Leo
The latter, every time!

Two reasons:

a) What fun is life without risks? The bigger the better :p:
b) Why settle for second best? Choose what you want, and do everything in your power to make it happen. If you fail, you'll know that you did your utmost. And if you succeed, you'll have your dreams in the grasp of your hand :h:

letsdothetimewarpagain
I probably stick with the safe option unless I know I can sort things out if the risky option backfires :colondollar:

gummers
Go for what you what to do knowing that if you fail you have another stable option to pick up on.

Yeah, I'm trying to find an 'option' between the two.

Skadoosh
Depends. How much is there to lose?

A year of my life... hah, actually works out at 2 I guess.

peanutkitkat
I normally go for the dafe option, but end up wondering "what if" about whatever it was that I really wanted to do. Recently I've taken the latter route with regards to a couple of things, just because I couldn't bear wondering "what if I'd gone for what I really wanted to do?"

Besides, you ever know if you don't try.

Yeah, well, thats the situation I don't want to be in, sitting there in a year or two wishing I'd done something else.
Reply 13
Anywho, basically, I've applied for chemistry, got offers/interviews and its all going well for a course...

But, I really want to do another course. Like, I want to do the one I've applied for, don't get me wrong, but, I think I'd rather do the other one. I'm not gonna mention what the course is, as I reckon it'd completely sway people's thoughts/answers :tongue:

But yeah, trying to decide whether I should stay safe, and carry on as I am now; play it 'risky' and withdraw my app when I'm 100% sure about the other course and apply for that one next year. Only problem is, I wouldn't get in this year, and might not get in the next, don't wanna be the guy that is applying every year and not getting in. So that's the risk heh.

Thanks for the replies anyways, appreciate it!

edit: its not so much, pick one or the other to go for... its, stop going for one i want to go for, to go for one i want more... :tongue:
Reply 14
Yeah, last time I checked, movies weren't the best reflection of real life. I think I was pretty spot-on when I pointed out the drama of your post.
Yeah,
His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
He's choking how, everybody's joking now
The clock's run out, time's up over, bloah!

Eminem. <3
I'd go for the riskk as life would be boring without risks, however it depends on the size of the risk and if the safe option would still be available if I failed (which I never do obviously)
I always go for it - i've sometimes succeeded and sometimes I've failed but I don't have an regrets so I figure I'm taking the right approach to life...so far.
Reply 18
Do people's opinions change then, when it is the 'safe' option of chemistry vs the other option of studying medicine..?

Latest

Trending

Trending