The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I was rejected outright for English by UCL (no interview) on the 28th Oct. The reason given was my academic profile even though I got A*s in all 10 of my GCSEs, straight A's at AS with 100% in the English AS exam and 90% in Coursework, and an average of 94% across all my subjects, four A* predictions for A2, a great school reference and more extra-curricular stuff than I could fit into my personal statement, including slaving away at the Royal Society of Literature for a month.

I hope I don't come across as arrogant, but what the hell!?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
egbertonline
I was rejected outright for English by UCL (no interview) on the 28th Oct. The reason given was my academic profile even though I got A*s in all 10 of my GCSEs, straight A's at AS with 100% in the English AS exam and 90% in Coursework, and an average of 94% across all my subjects, four A* predictions for A2, a great school reference and more extra-curricular stuff than I could fit into my personal statement, including slaving away at the Royal Society of Literature for a month.

Lol *high five* I'm sorry - that must really really suck. We're kind of in the same boat, except your academic record is much better. At least I have my GCSEs to blame. I don't get it... it's odd, very odd. Perhaps it was your personal statement? You could contact UCL through your school for further details?
Where-else have you applied? Don't worry cos it's totally UCL's loss, and you have the grades to get into somewhere just as highly regarded. Don't take it too personally as well.
ollypocket
Lol *high five* I'm sorry - that must really really suck. We're kind of in the same boat, except your academic record is much better. At least I have my GCSEs to blame. I don't get it... it's odd, very odd. Perhaps it was your personal statement? You could contact UCL through your school for further details?
Where-else have you applied? Don't worry cos it's totally UCL's loss, and you have the grades to get into somewhere just as highly regarded. Don't take it too personally as well.

Thanks Olly, hopefully we'll both get offers from somewhere even better and then we can mail it to them with 'whoops...' written across the letter. No, I'm sure there were plenty of people with better qualifications and personal statements than me, its just the lack of interview that I don't get, especially when the official UCAS deadline is like January so why are they so desperate to get rid of our applications so soon?! I thought about contacting them but figured they weren't gonna change their mind and apparently they don't really give specific feedback. I've got an interview at St. John's Camb on the 10th so maybe that will work, although this definitely has shattered my confidence. I've also got Bristol, Durham & KCL down but no offers yet. Stressful times! Where are you applying?
Ahh, just read your spoiler :O . Oooh Kings, I hope you're a fan of the red army!
egbertonline
Thanks Olly, hopefully we'll both get offers from somewhere even better and then we can mail it to them with 'whoops...' written across the letter. No, I'm sure there were plenty of people with better qualifications and personal statements than me, its just the lack of interview that I don't get, especially when the official UCAS deadline is like January so why are they so desperate to get rid of our applications so soon?! I thought about contacting them but figured they weren't gonna change their mind and apparently they don't really give specific feedback. I've got an interview at St. John's Camb on the 10th so maybe that will work, although this definitely has shattered my confidence. I've also got Bristol, Durham & KCL down but no offers yet. Stressful times! Where are you applying?

Yep totally!!!
Or drunk call their admissions office like "Youuu can goo f**k yooourrseellvves e.t.c." haha.
It really doesn't make sense, really really doesn't. I guess it must be based on personal statements and so really subjective. Meh.
But yeah I'm sure you'll get in somewhere just as good - the places you're applying to certainly are. Good luck on the Cambridge interview - mines on 8th :O. And erm nope absolutely not a commie, but I figured as long as I keep my mouth shut and keep out of the way of the Kings College secret police I should be good lol. At least I'm not Conservative - I bet they like ritually sacrifice them or something!?!
ollypocket
Yep totally!!!
Or drunk call their admissions office like "Youuu can goo f**k yooourrseellvves e.t.c." haha.
It really doesn't make sense, really really doesn't. I guess it must be based on personal statements and so really subjective. Meh.
But yeah I'm sure you'll get in somewhere just as good - the places you're applying to certainly are. Good luck on the Cambridge interview - mines on 8th :O. And erm nope absolutely not a commie, but I figured as long as I keep my mouth shut and keep out of the way of the Kings College secret police I should be good lol. At least I'm not Conservative - I bet they like ritually sacrifice them or something!?!

Haha, looks like we've got a multiple-pronged attack in the making. Yeh maybe my PS was a bit too odd and pretentious..I actually put that literature is "the greatest currency of thought". No joke. Good luck too, I definitely think having done AEA last year will give you the edge, I wouldn't dare! Yes, I think the annual 'Eton scholar' at King's should divert the focus of the Marxists away from anyone else, besides I doubt it's like its used to be, they've repainted the red hammer & sickle bar for starters..
egbertonline
Haha, looks like we've got a multiple-pronged attack in the making. Yeh maybe my PS was a bit too odd and pretentious..I actually put that literature is "the greatest currency of thought". No joke. Good luck too, I definitely think having done AEA last year will give you the edge, I wouldn't dare! Yes, I think the annual 'Eton scholar' at King's should divert the focus of the Marxists away from anyone else, besides I doubt it's like its used to be, they've repainted the red hammer & sickle bar for starters..

Haha I fancy toilet papering the English faculty... juuust joking.
No that's a really good phrase :smile: "currency of thought" - like the true worth of philosophical thoughts, or any other kind of thoughts for that matter lol, is to be found and utilised through literature. Coolness.
I hope so - I'm not too sure how important the AEA is lol.
And yeah I was at Kings to deliver my essays two weeks ago and I was kinda unimpressed with size of the hammer and sickle painting - if they're gonna be communist they might as well go all out and make some kind of statue of Lenin lol.
egbertonline

Dude...you got screwed over.
Here's me with my modest 4 A*s going what the ****?! (one was only a half in PE too. PE! I'm a total slacker really). I think they only offered me an interview because I go to college in Huddersfield and they felt sorry for me.

Maybe, maybe.. (and don't take offence if you're not) UCL are weeding out those who went to public school? I assumed you go to one because you do 4 A levels and have major academic achievement, but it's a cheeky generalisation as some students at state school (albeit not as many) will be on a par with you.

I think something went wrong there; my college usually phone up the uni and ask why someone who they thought should have got in/been offered interview didn't. Yours should, or you should at least phone. Then at least you'll know why.
ollypocket
Haha I fancy toilet papering the English faculty... juuust joking.
No that's a really good phrase :smile: "currency of thought" - like the true worth of philosophical thoughts, or any other kind of thoughts for that matter lol, is to be found and utilised through literature. Coolness.
I hope so - I'm not too sure how important the AEA is lol.
And yeah I was at Kings to deliver my essays two weeks ago and I was kinda unimpressed with size of the hammer and sickle painting - if they're gonna be communist they might as well go all out and make some kind of statue of Lenin lol.

Lol i didn't even know Kings was commie until now. I've applied there too, but i didn't think you had to give in any essays?
i_bring_you_fire
Lol i didn't even know Kings was commie until now. I've applied there too, but i didn't think you had to give in any essays?

Yay :smile: hadn't heard of anyone-else applying for English there!

But English applicants needed to hand in two previously written essays from school by 8th November. Please tell me you did that!!!
ollypocket
Yay :smile: hadn't heard of anyone-else applying for English there!

But English applicants needed to hand in two previously written essays from school by 8th November. Please tell me you did that!!!

argh where did it say this???? it doesn't say it on the applications at all- you're Q300 right? and i thought college would have told me :s-smilie:
i_bring_you_fire
argh where did it say this???? it doesn't say it on the applications at all- you're Q300 right? and i thought college would have told me :s-smilie:

Oh waaait - are we talking Kings College London, or King's College, Cambridge?
ollypocket
Oh waaait - are we talking Kings College London, or King's College, Cambridge?

You're mean :-O haha. I was stressing then. yeah King's College London XD I don't know any cambridge colleges seeing as I'm an oxford applicant, so I got a bit confused :P You only have to hand in one essay for Oxford. I did an Othello essay on Iago's motivations.
i_bring_you_fire
You're mean :-O haha. I was stressing then. yeah King's College London XD I don't know any cambridge colleges seeing as I'm an oxford applicant, so I got a bit confused :P You only have to hand in one essay for Oxford. I did an Othello essay on Iago's motivations.

Lol not my fault! It says it in my signature :p:
Oooh Oxford huh? Good luck! Yeah I'm applying to King's College, Cambridge... which is not one of my best moves but whatever, I'll give it a go lol. My essays were a terrible one on Hardy's poetry 1912-13 and a fairly okay one on the relationship of Joe and Clarissa in Enduring Love. Have a group discussion and test at interview too :s-smilie:

Hmmm my signature has disappeared lol. There it is!
ollypocket
Lol not my fault! It says it in my signature :p:
Oooh Oxford huh? Good luck! Yeah I'm applying to King's College, Cambridge... which is not one of my best moves but whatever, I'll give it a go lol. My essays were a terrible one on Hardy's poetry 1912-13 and a fairly okay one on the relationship of Joe and Clarissa in Enduring Love. Have a group discussion and test at interview too :s-smilie:

Hmmm my signature has disappeared lol. There it is!

haha yeah your sig vanished :P
i'm sure it was good and omg, really cheeky, but would you mind letting me have a look at your essay? i mean i really love Hardy but i haven't studied Hardy and i put in my pm i was getting into his poems (blatant lie, though I do like one atm). unfortunately i can't find many and don't have much time :s-smilie: i can however talk about his novels with ease, they're amazing.

You'll do great in interview :smile: i find out if i have an interview in a few days!
i_bring_you_fire
haha yeah your sig vanished :P
i'm sure it was good and omg, really cheeky, but would you mind letting me have a look at your essay? i mean i really love Hardy but i haven't studied Hardy and i put in my pm i was getting into his poems (blatant lie, though I do like one atm). unfortunately i can't find many and don't have much time :s-smilie: i can however talk about his novels with ease, they're amazing.

You'll do great in interview :smile: i find out if i have an interview in a few days!

OMG just had a total freak out lol because you reminded me that I lost my USB and that my Cambridge essays (which I'll be quizzed on in the interview) were on there and it was my only back up. Fortunately I remembered I emailed them to my teacher the other day, phew!
Yeah I don't mind sending it BUT obviously please don't copy in any way and bear in mind IT IS REALLY REALLY BAD. Lol. I was embarassed sending it, but kind of had to since AS standard is so much lower than Cambridge/uni standard and I didn't really put much effort into my work last year as I knew this. My other one is better.
Yeah so don't judge me on the crappiness of my essay :o: and PLEASE do not copy (not sure how you would lol but if the opportunity ever comes up to send in an essay :p: though I would advise against it anyway cos it's a bad essay) though I guess if the poems come up in your UCL/Oxford interview (which I hope you get :smile:) and a point of mine comes to mind (WHICH I DOUBT lol) it's probably not plagarism... whatever lol.
i_bring_you_fire
Dude...you got screwed over.
Here's me with my modest 4 A*s going what the ****?! (one was only a half in PE too. PE! I'm a total slacker really). I think they only offered me an interview because I go to college in Huddersfield and they felt sorry for me.

Maybe, maybe.. (and don't take offence if you're not) UCL are weeding out those who went to public school? I assumed you go to one because you do 4 A levels and have major academic achievement, but it's a cheeky generalisation as some students at state school (albeit not as many) will be on a par with you.

I think something went wrong there; my college usually phone up the uni and ask why someone who they thought should have got in/been offered interview didn't. Yours should, or you should at least phone. Then at least you'll know why.

Thanks, yeah apparently UCL put a lot of emphasis on personal statement as well so perhaps you wrote circles around mine.. You're right about the public school thing but then again some people from my school with worse grades got interviews there for English, including one who didn't get an A* in English Lit GCSE.. Have you heard anything that makes it seem likely that they are anti-public school? I drafted an email and gave it to my universities adviser who said not to bother sending it because they only ever give you generic feedback anyway, but perhaps he just didn't want the hassle.
I've heard many times that if they suspect you've applied for Oxbridge, they automatically reject you. Which seems ridiculously unfair in my opinion!
I have an interview for late February (I sent my UCAS off pretty late) so fingers crossed! I come from a mediocre state school, did the best in my year at GCSE, and my personal statement and references were pretty strong. My AS levels weren't great but I'm resitting so didn't put them on my application :biggrin:
I think it's largely down to pot luck whether you get an interview or not...admissions officer could have been having a bad day or something.
One stupid question: how smart should I dress for the interview?
Well, for my Cambridge interview I just wore formal trousers and a collared shirt with a jumper, with no tie and it seemed fine, some people wore suits but I think they looked quite silly (after all, they want intellectual types, not city banker wannabes), and some people wore like, jeans and a t-shirt. I do think appearance matters, but if you go too far that also looks strange.

Latest

Trending

Trending