The Student Room Group

Royal Mail lost my Birth Certificate during one of there many strikes; can I claim?

Hi, so basically 5 or 6 weeks ago I applied for a new bank account and had to send off my Birth Certificate to the bank, of course the next day after sending in there infinite wisdom the Communication Workers Union announced another strike :rolleyes: and somewhere along the line it has been lost or as Royal Mail like to call it ‘misplaced’ :mad:

Its £25 for a new birth certificate :eek: , which I feel is highly unfair if I have to pay it, can I make a claim using Royal Mail’s “lost an item” claim process? Or does that only apply to parcels?

:thumbsdown:
Reply 1
Did you send it signed for or not, if not I think you have to prove that the birth certificate was the actual item sent
Reply 2
Davidosh
Did you send it signed for or not, if not I think you have to prove that the birth certificate was the actual item sent

Thats the problem :biggrin:

It was sent in a pre-paid packet (from RBS) along with all the other relivent documents.

I'm not sure how I can 'prove' that I sent it though :s-smilie:
Reply 3
DanielNewton
Thats the problem :biggrin:

It was sent in a pre-paid packet (from RBS) along with all the other relivent documents.

I'm not sure how I can 'prove' that I sent it though :s-smilie:

Thats the exact problem it's nigh on impossible to prove you may want to speak to RBS about what insurance they have on prepaid envelopes
Reply 4
Davidosh
Thats the exact problem it's nigh on impossible to prove you may want to speak to RBS about what insurance they have on prepaid envelopes

I spoke to RBS the other day and they said to take it up with RM, but after an hour of searching online and 20 mins on the phone trying to speak to someone at RM that knows what there talking about I was told to just "Send in the claims form anyway" by some man who sounded suicidal :rolleyes:

That's why I started this thread, Just incase someone had experienced something simular :smile:

I guess I'm just going to have to fork out £25 for a new one, which will probs just get lost again but never mind :mad:
Next time, when you're sending improtant documents, remember to send a copy or send originals by special delivery. But I think you know that now =)

So I guess you just have to apply for a new one :frown:
Their*

Sorry, but you did do it twice...

And unfortunately I don't think your claim will be successful if you can't prove you sent it. Speak to RBS about it, probably your best bet. Good luck. Bloody Royal Fail :rolleyes:
Reply 7
SomeStudent
Next time, when you're sending improtant documents, remember to send a copy or send originals by special delivery. But I think you know that now =)

So I guess you just have to apply for a new one :frown:

How? RBS sent there own pre-paid packet so I cant use special delivery.

And to be honest I shouldn’t have to use special delivery because of incompetent Royal Mail employees who say they have too much work to do and said employees are then pictured at a betting shop or doing something else rather than working, these same people who then feel the need to strike every week over pay and working conditions; yet fail to deliver a simple letter to the correct address or put sorry you where out cards through your door when your in and just in general make a spectacular catalogue of cock-ups day in and day out :mad:

/rant

Latest

Trending

Trending