The Student Room Group

stating your grades

Hi Guys

So basically I am doing 4 AS modules in Jan, and I have been told by my teachers that if i flop these exams the grades that I have got will be stated on my UCAS application, but however when i was reading through some explanations on this forum it has stated that I have to state the grades that I get after June.

So i am really confused now. Does that mean that even if i flop in Jan and re-sit the exam in June I still have to state it on my UCAS application?

Thanks
Reply 1
please someone help me!!!!
Your results are totted up and you find out your overall grade in August. You can retake this Jans modules in June, they are not the only and final shot at that section of A2.
You don't have to say anything about your performance in Jan though really you should be aiming to nail them and be able to concentrate on the summer.
I'm still confused about one thing, does your predicted grades have to match the minimum entry requirements or the actual grades you got for AS, to be obliged for an offer ?

How does this grade thing work, do they actually take the grades into consideration or they just give you a offer which you have to match by august, no matter what you got at AS.
Liverpool F.C.™
I'm still confused about one thing, does your predicted grades have to match the minimum entry requirements or the actual grades you got for AS, to be obliged for an offer ?

How does this grade thing work, do they actually take the grades into consideration or they just give you a offer which you have to match by august, no matter what you got at AS.

They don't have to match, if believe you can achieve the entry requirements then by all means stick it down in your choices. You will however need a personal statement and reference that is spot on and conveys your ability to do better than what you are officially predicted.
Of course they take your grades into consideration. However, you can obviously leave your grades pending for AS. This does not matter but you will just rule out the possibility of getting an unconditional based on your current achiement.
Right, so I'm applying for a course with minimum entry requirements of AAB, my predicted grades are AAB but my actual AS grades are ABC. Would I be given a conditional offer ? (keeping in mind they liked my application/PS, and the course is not full yet).
Liverpool F.C.™
Right, so I'm applying for a course with minimum entry requirements of AAB, my predicted grades are AAB but my actual AS grades are ABC. Would I be given a conditional offer ? (keeping in mind they liked my application/PS, and the course is not full yet).

You can't make sweeping statements. It's totally dependant on the popularity and academic rigour required for the course, what univeristy etc.
A lot of schools would say leave all your grades as pending and I would probably go along with that. Lets face it you're two grades below the requirements and the course you want to apply may have plenty of people applying with AAA already achieved and predicted.

If you apply with an awesome reference and PS that they like I would hazard the guess that they may indeed offer you a place though.
Good luck
alexterry
They don't have to match, if believe you can achieve the entry requirements then by all means stick it down in your choices. You will however need a personal statement and reference that is spot on and conveys your ability to do better than what you are officially predicted.
Of course they take your grades into consideration. However, you can obviously leave your grades pending for AS. This does not matter but you will just rule out the possibility of getting an unconditional based on your current achiement.

You have posted twice in this thread with the clear implication that candidates can choose to hide their AS achievements by stating their grades as "pending". In fact, candidates have no choice in the matter: if their grades are certificated (which depends on school policy, not candidate choice) they must be declared, even if modules are being re-taken.

Candidates to English universities are not likely to receive unconditional offers when their only qualifications are at the AS level (unless the institution is a very poor one and looking to boost its numbers regardless of candidate quality, and the candidate is a very good one who should never have applied to such a university).
Reply 8
Good bloke
You have posted twice in this thread with the clear implication that candidates can choose to hide their AS achievements by stating their grades as "pending". In fact, candidates have no choice in the matter: if their grades are certificated (which depends on school policy, not candidate choice) they must be declared, even if modules are being re-taken.

Candidates to English universities are not likely to receive unconditional offers when their only qualifications are at the AS level (unless the institution is a very poor one and looking to boost its numbers regardless of candidate quality, and the candidate is a very good one who should never have applied to such a university).

but what if you flop an exam in Jan and resit it in June do you still have to declare this in the Application, coz I mean I will get my grade before applying.
Schoolio
but what if you flop an exam in Jan and resit it in June do you still have to declare this in the Application, coz I mean I will get my grade before applying.

It depends on whether it is certificated when you apply.
Liverpool F.C.&#8482

no it depends, take this situation:

"the university states that it doesnt score your As grades"

your schools policy doesnt declare AS grades, but that doesnt matter because of the statement above

so they wont know your AS grades, but even if you got bad (they still wont know)you teacher can still predict you AAA (as long as you believe, and they do you can achieve)

however if your schools policy, is to declare As grades ( and any resists, if a school doesn't declare grades , the uni wont know if your doing AS resists, since your AS certificate will be given at the end with your A2 certificate) and you got bad grades (which the uni WILL see if your school declares them), even tho the uni has stated they dont score them, they will be suspicious of why the student has high grade predictions.

so no, technically you predicted grade can be a hell lot higher then your AS, but some schools are strict, i have a friends who must take an additional test to prove he can have those predicted grades.

but your predicted grades must meet the minimum requirements of the uni, or the student will most likely be rejected (they usually dont even read the personal statements of those who dont reach the minimum academically)

however there are some exceptions, take the one below as an example:

medicine is a very competitive course (60% dont get any offers), due to the high gcse requirements and work experience etc, the a-level requirements are not as high (its getting the offer that's hard, not achieving it, well that inst to easy but you get the point, getting the offer is harder then fulfilling it).

leicster medical school give offers of AAB. and as said you must reach the minmimum. however with reserach i found out that leicster score on the floowing out of 20

acadmics 5
personnal statement 5
reference 5
ukcat (medical test just ignore this for now) 5

with each out of 5 (4x5=20)

now remember the uni give offers of AAB. now to get the score out of 5 for academics you need

-over3 A*s at gcse and AAA prediction (5 points)
-under 3 A8s at gcse and AAA prediction (4 points)
-AAB prediction with chem an bio as As (3 points)
-AAB predition with chem as A 2points
-ABB prediction (1point)
so look at this, even tho the uni gives AAB offers, you can still get a point with an ABB. last year students needed a 16/20 for an offer so technically even with lower grades then the offer, you could still get one (given that the reference, personal statement and ukcat are full points )

however this is one example, so you need to do you research to see how unis score applications, some use a scoring system as above, some consider all those who reach the minimum academics and over equals, and use the personal statements to decide who to interview
Schoolio

if your school declares AS grades, then on ucas (the resist, separate from the AS subject, you basically have to input it twice, one with what you got, and another to tell them its a resist, but not if your school doesn't declare AS grades) it would be put down as pending (in a seperate section so the uni knows its a resit). this "pending" wont change untill the end of the year, when its finilized so you can do the exam as many times as you want (well twice, in jan and june), but it wont make a difference (so basically, to ucs you could be planning on doing it in ajnd and june, or just jan, but to ucas its the same thing, because even if your hapy with your grade in jan you still have to wait till june for the grade)

then again if you school doesnt delcare AS grades, the uni wont know what grades you got (they can if you want them to know its optional, onyl to schools that DONT decalre AS greades) or whether your resiting. because if you school doenst declare the grades, you have to put in the over all a-level as pending (you get the result at the end of 2 years), but if you school does declare AS grades, you have to put the overall a-level grades as pending ASWELL AS putiing down the AS subject down) the only way the uni will know your AS grades if your school doesnt declare grades is by the following:

you put in the overall a-level as pending.
when you click it you will see 6 sections (3 modules of AS and 3 for A2). you can leave all of them as pending (if your re-siting AS subjects, you must leave the firt 3 as pending, since your improving them, but i would check to be safe). the bottom 3 must be left as pending, because well you havent done them yet (A2 remember). the only way unis will know your AS grades is if YOU put down what you got in the first 3 modules (AS) and they work it out for themselves.

you might ask, well if i dont put down the first 3 sections and someone else does, even tho i didnt have too they will prob know i'm trying to hide my grades.

well no, since most unis wont check this, many of them relise many schools tell their students to just leave it all as pending (some students with excelent marks actually complain because they CANT put it down)

hope this helps
Reply 12
Schoolio
What you will declare in your application is the certificated grade which you presumably won't get until June, when you have completed all the modules for that qualification. If you take a module in January and retake it in June, you put in the better of the unit grades - whichever it is - or none at all if you choose not to enter unit grades.

CHILLIN-DRAGON has got rather muddled. Check out the stickied thread on declaring grades, at the top of this forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending