The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To my great grandad in WW1, grandad in WW2 and friend of a friend who died in Iraq- thank you for giving your lives so that we can give ours in peace.
The ultimate sacrifice for a better world.
Baz1990
this rememberance stuff is boring

Well no one is forcing you to visit this thread.

To all the soldiers that laid down their lives, and to those who are still fighting for our freedom, words are never enough to describe how brave you are. Thank you.
Reply 42
Bagration
<O

What does this mean?
What does this mean?
It's an ascii salute. (If you were facing the salute, the hand would be on the correct side, by the way.)
And in case nobody's posted it before;

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blessed by the suns of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts a peace, under an English heaven.
Reply 45
Bagration
It's an ascii salute. (If you were facing the salute, the hand would be on the correct side, by the way.)

Ah, I see.
Reply 46
Bagration
<O

I concur.
Reply 47
*bows head* I detest war, but those who have selflessly given their lives defending our country - and those who are prepared to die now - deserve the utmost respect. Remembrance Day saddens me deeply, from the stories and poems to the Last Post, but it's a necessary reminder of all those lives and a fitting tribute. We will remember them.
Reply 48
lest we forget...
Keep it respectful in here please now, any arguments can be discussed outside of this thread.
Good thread.
Reply 51
I'm in France, and I can't believe how little they do here. Its a day offf work, and they don't wear poppies, and there is no silence. There is no observation of the Armistice by anyone other than the President or other officials.

When I think of what we do to remember the fallen by comparison, I feel really proud to be British. God bless all those who fought/are fighting for our freedom.
Reply 52
Lest we forget. May they rest in peace.

Latest

Trending

Trending