The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

66% of the British population are also in the bottom two-thirds in terms of intelligence. Coincidence? I think not...
I pronounce it 'scone'. :teehee:
Reply 3
it has a magic "e" at the end which means you have to pronounce the vowel in the word as its name.
I.e Scone = Sc-oh-ne
Reply 4
Kinsula

66% of the British population pronounce "scone" to rhyme with "John" (ie: the right way). You wouldn't argue with democracy, now would you?

Eerrrr yes i would in this instance. Scone rhymes with cone ftw!!!!
**** off; it rhymes with "bone"
"The pronunciation of the word across the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, two-thirds of the British population pronounce it /ˈskon/, rhyming with "con" and "John", with the preference rising to 99% in the Scottish population. The rest pronounce it /ˈskone/, rhyming with "cone" and "Joan". British dictionaries usually show the "con" form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognizing that the "cone" form also exists."

SKON FTW
Reply 7
Finbar21
it has a magic "e" at the end which means you have to pronounce the vowel in the word as its name.
I.e Scone = Sc-oh-ne

Exactly :yep:
definitely skon.... The joke wouldn't work otherwise, and then we'd all be missing out... :eek3:

what does ftw mean by the way?
Reply 9
'sc-oh-n' people just sound odd :yep:
Fastest cake? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
:lolwut: Oh.
TomandJerry09
definitely skon.... The joke wouldn't work otherwise, and then we'd all be missing out... :eek3:

what does ftw mean by the way?

ftw = for the win! :biggrin:
Reply 13
This didn't turn out to be a joke thread :frown:

I was expecting something really stupid like:
Finbar21
I.e Scone = Sc-oh-ne

What about gone? None? Shone?
SKON :yep:
Reply 15
definatly a victoria sponge cake with butter icing and cinamon man those cakes move..
Reply 16
I thought this was a question about what was the fastest cake to make :sigh:

Damnit! For those that care.

Spoiler

stardust123
Fastest cake? :s-smilie:

There there :console:
Reply 18
the other day i ate some victoria sponge cake on a spaceship travelling at 0.99c as measured by a stationary observer.

the observer thought the cake was a little thinner than usual but i thought it was fine.

k bye
Reply 19
How does this make it a fast cake? I don't understand the joke...

Latest