The Student Room Group

PhD Guidebook

Hello,

I've just been accepted onto a PhD programme (politics part-time at QMUL) and will start the methodology courses in January. But before starting I'd really like to get a better idea of what it's all going to involve.

Does anyone out there know if there are any decent guidebooks that would give me an idea of what's going to be expected of me and what I should and shouldn't be doing?

Thanks a lot

Danielillo
Read this

There are quite few books you can read to help prepare you. I've read this one and found it useful.
Reply 2
Danielillo
Hello,

I've just been accepted onto a PhD programme (politics part-time at QMUL) and will start the methodology courses in January. But before starting I'd really like to get a better idea of what it's all going to involve.

Does anyone out there know if there are any decent guidebooks that would give me an idea of what's going to be expected of me and what I should and shouldn't be doing?

Thanks a lot

Danielillo

I think you've got this all backwards. You should know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE you even think about applying.

It seems nowadays people are quite flippant when it comes to postgraduate studies; I fear the day a PhD means nothing.
Reply 3
doing a PhD is hard... really hard... im studying at University of Birmingham for mine at the moment. You have to be willing to put your whole self in to it, to eat, sleep and dream about your topic and nothing but it for the next few years, without this you won't get through the first year... good luck
Reply 6
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Both books look really interesting, and I'll probably end up buying both.

Poi12 - sorry to have offended you with my request for information. I really must try not to be so insensitive.

Danielillo
Danielillo
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Both books look really interesting, and I'll probably end up buying both.

I've just noticed you're a politics person - you'll probably find the Dunleavy one pretty useful in that case!
Reply 8
Thanks for the tip, Ilex.

From the few pages they let you read on Amazon the Dunleavy one looks very good for the more technical aspects of research and methodology, and if it's more geared up to social sciences, then perfect.

And I think I'll get one of the other ones to help me with the more emotional/ organizational side of things.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Danielillo
The Phillips & Pugh book (recommended by tigermoth99) is very good. probably the best part is the chapter on 'how NOT to get a phd' - well worth the read.

Rowena Murray has written a couple of good general help books for phd students including 'how to write a thesis' and 'how to survive your viva'. She writes well and gives sound advice IMO.

HTH! SP :smile:
Reply 10
tigermoth99
Read this

There are quite few books you can read to help prepare you. I've read this one and found it useful.

Yikes.. that blog was pretty depressing...
I like The Unwritten Rules of PhD Research

Poi12: Stop being so dramatic. The big decision isn't in applying anyway, it's whether you accept a place that's offered to you.

Nevertheless, getting a good idea of what's expected of you now will help a lot with the interview process. :smile:
Reply 12
RadioElectric

Poi12: Stop being so dramatic. The big decision isn't in applying anyway, it's whether you accept a place that's offered to you.

That's not being dramatic; it's being sensible. Either way, I think you illustrated the point I made.
poi12
That's not being dramatic; it's being sensible. Either way, I think you illustrated the point I made.

It's not, though. I've been told to read those books during my PhD. So either my entire department are a bunch of ingenues, or it's quite normal to not be 100% clued up on the finer details of the PhD process when you start. Anyway, I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to criticise someone for trying to cure their ignorance - surely you should save it for the actual idiots in this forum who really don't have any idea, and worse, don't realise it? :dontknow:
I suppose it goes without saying that I didn't read the first half of the OP's post.

Latest

Trending

Trending