The Student Room Group

Queen's University, Belfast 2010 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Don't think im going to make my firm, Law (AAA), due to two bad exams in june. Im not stressed atm but i know nearing results time that i am going to have my act together to sort out a new life plan. :/
'Me=
']Don't think im going to make my firm, Law (AAA), due to two bad exams in june. Im not stressed atm but i know nearing results time that i am going to have my act together to sort out a new life plan. :/

what's your insurance?
princess_me07
I'm confirmed for philosophy and history at qub. Can't wait! :smile: rele nervous about coming to belfast from england though. How is everyone getting all their stuff there?

Hey, this may seem a little random but im from Cheltenham too and am goin to Queens in september :smile: i never thought there'd be someone else within 100 miles of me going to Belfast!! Are u starting in Sept? Oh and im piling my dads car up with my stuff and ferrying it across :p: im nervous about goin Belfast too but iv been there plenty of times and love it. Us english will be in good company :smile:
laura_frances
Hey, this may seem a little random but im from Cheltenham too and am goin to Queens in september :smile: i never thought there'd be someone else within 100 miles of me going to Belfast!! Are u starting in Sept? Oh and im piling my dads car up with my stuff and ferrying it across :p: im nervous about goin Belfast too but iv been there plenty of times and love it. Us english will be in good company :smile:

Hey which bit of Cheltenham are you from? This is so exciting lol. Yeh i'm starting in September to do philosophy and history. Which accommodation have you applied for? x
princess_me07
Hey which bit of Cheltenham are you from? This is so exciting lol. Yeh i'm starting in September to do philosophy and history. Which accommodation have you applied for? x

Im from Bishops Cleeve so just outside Chelt. Ooooooh i wanted to do philosophy but chose international politics instead, am currently reading the idiots guide to philosophy to keep my interest alive (iv never studied it before but find it so interesting) lol, further reading for a subject im not even studying..not a politics book in sight :s-smilie: haha. Iv applied for accommodation at Elms but single sex or quiet living, im 22 so "trying" to tame the formative party animal inside me before delving back into education lol. What made you choose Queens then? its quite an uphaul from little old chelt! X
laura_frances
Im from Bishops Cleeve so just outside Chelt. Ooooooh i wanted to do philosophy but chose international politics instead, am currently reading the idiots guide to philosophy to keep my interest alive (iv never studied it before but find it so interesting) lol, further reading for a subject im not even studying..not a politics book in sight :s-smilie: haha. Iv applied for accommodation at Elms but single sex or quiet living, im 22 so "trying" to tame the formative party animal inside me before delving back into education lol. What made you choose Queens then? its quite an uphaul from little old chelt! X

I need to start further reading again. I've not done much of that on my gap year :s-smilie: International politics sounds good though. What has made you want to go to uni now? Queens was a completely random choice for me tbh. Just one of those things. I got the entry requirements in my resits and then delved a bit deeper into Belfast life and just got rele excited about it. Its different and will force me out my comfort zone - main reason. What made you choose qub? Do you know when you are going over to Ireland? I think we have to be in accommodation by the 18th?
princess_me07
I need to start further reading again. I've not done much of that on my gap year :s-smilie: International politics sounds good though. What has made you want to go to uni now? Queens was a completely random choice for me tbh. Just one of those things. I got the entry requirements in my resits and then delved a bit deeper into Belfast life and just got rele excited about it. Its different and will force me out my comfort zone - main reason. What made you choose qub? Do you know when you are going over to Ireland? I think we have to be in accommodation by the 18th?

Ahh well I left school at 16 and went to work in retail, got fed up with it after 4 years and went back to college to get my A levels and to my suprise I did quite well so for the first time ever uni was a possibility! My boyfriend is from Belfast so have been goin there for the past 3 years and love it, my choice was made easier by the fact Queens is a good (and in my opinion underrated) university. Iv been sooo unorganised with getting ready for uni, i didnt kno when we're able to move into accommodation but the 18th sounds reasonable lol. So i dont kno when i'll be moving over :confused: Have u had a conformation for your place at accommodation? is it Elms you chose too? x
laura_frances
Ahh well I left school at 16 and went to work in retail, got fed up with it after 4 years and went back to college to get my A levels and to my suprise I did quite well so for the first time ever uni was a possibility! My boyfriend is from Belfast so have been goin there for the past 3 years and love it, my choice was made easier by the fact Queens is a good (and in my opinion underrated) university. Iv been sooo unorganised with getting ready for uni, i didnt kno when we're able to move into accommodation but the 18th sounds reasonable lol. So i dont kno when i'll be moving over :confused: Have u had a conformation for your place at accommodation? is it Elms you chose too? x

Ah I see. I'm working in retail now on my gap year. No I haven't had confirmation yet but I think we get it when everyone else has their results ie mid august. Have you booked the ferry for going over yet? I think i'm going to scotland and then going that way. Yeh i chose elms coz we'll be with loads of other first yrs. I'm so nervous :s-smilie: but hopefully it'll be ok.
princess_me07
Ah I see. I'm working in retail now on my gap year. No I haven't had confirmation yet but I think we get it when everyone else has their results ie mid august. Have you booked the ferry for going over yet? I think i'm going to scotland and then going that way. Yeh i chose elms coz we'll be with loads of other first yrs. I'm so nervous :s-smilie: but hopefully it'll be ok.

Well as i said before, im SO unorganised so therefore i havent even thought booking a ferry :frown: bad i know lol. I think im gonna go from Stranraer too but will look into goin from Hollyhead in Wales, only take u to Dublin but might be cheaper. I dont think u have to take THAT much stuff, clothes will be taking up most of the space in our car! Jeeez iv been so relaxed about everything but i guess its not long now til we'll have to leave, about time i got on to planning. Im nervous too, especially for the first few weeks: who we'll be living with, making friends and not being out of my depth on the course! Eventhough i dont kno you, it has made me feel less worried about going all that way and being "that english girl" if you kno wat i mean :o:
laura_frances
Well as i said before, im SO unorganised so therefore i havent even thought booking a ferry :frown: bad i know lol. I think im gonna go from Stranraer too but will look into goin from Hollyhead in Wales, only take u to Dublin but might be cheaper. I dont think u have to take THAT much stuff, clothes will be taking up most of the space in our car! Jeeez iv been so relaxed about everything but i guess its not long now til we'll have to leave, about time i got on to planning. Im nervous too, especially for the first few weeks: who we'll be living with, making friends and not being out of my depth on the course! Eventhough i dont kno you, it has made me feel less worried about going all that way and being "that english girl" if you kno wat i mean :o:

Yeh i completely know what you mean. I'm gonna take clothes, pictures etc but then get pots, pans and bedding when i'm there. It's prob easier than guessing if we'll get a single or double bed, what kind of kitchen blah blah blah. Very exciting but very scary. I think they'll be lots of english people there but its good to know someone is coming from sunny chelters. I've only been to the city a few times so I don't really know it well but is there anything you think I should see/go/know about Belfast? :smile:
Reply 410
pinkmonkey3
what's your insurance?

Business Economics at Queen's. I really don't want to do it anymore since i looked at books online about mathematics for economists and it looks disgusting, i don't think i'd be that interested in it anymore. I think that my dream to do law is overshawdowing my judgement :frown: Im torn whether to try get into law in Jordanstown through clearing or not (got offer but declined), i haven't decided, but i heard that they always have places available :/ I don't know what it is, but i really don't like Jordanstown? Its going to be pretty much the same as Queen's but i don't want to go there! :s-smilie:
princess_me07
Yeh i completely know what you mean. I'm gonna take clothes, pictures etc but then get pots, pans and bedding when i'm there. It's prob easier than guessing if we'll get a single or double bed, what kind of kitchen blah blah blah. Very exciting but very scary. I think they'll be lots of english people there but its good to know someone is coming from sunny chelters. I've only been to the city a few times so I don't really know it well but is there anything you think I should see/go/know about Belfast? :smile:

Well I wudnt say i know it well either but i think it might be an idea to get to know the history of the place and lets be honest it doesn't lack any of that lol! So a good starting point might be the museum (if u havent been there already) its new and modern, right near the uni and filled with stuff to keep u occupied for while. I should really do more exploring myself, considering iv been there so many times, i dont kno a lot about the place. We'll leave it to the locals around us to show us the ropes. What school did u go to? And i guess cus ur on a gap year u already have the grades so do u have an unconditional offer? i keep having to remind myself that i mightnt even get the grades!! :frown:
Reply 412
Hey! I think I've already posted on this thread but I feel strangely compelled to update with my QUB situation

All started last year! I missed my grades for Economics &Accounting (by 1 UMS, gutted for me) and took a place in French at Queens. The course is amazing, but I never really wanted to leave my Accounting aspirations behind. So, I applied for Accounting with French and got an offer of AAA. It's usually AAB but since I was repeating they put it up a grade :frown: I repeated in Jan and got ABB and then a further module in June and will hopefully have AAB. I'm sure to fall short of my offer, again! But I couldn't repeat my 3rd subject as it was a legacy specification. I emailed QUB and was told by admissions that they will only be lenient if there are extra places & that last year was the 1st in the last 7 years where they were able to take applicants who had missed their grades or averaged out (but not me:frown: ) She also said that if there are places available, my having sat the 1st year of French will work in my favour as well as the fact that I chose Economics for my elective modules

On the whole, I feel a little glum about the situation. I am sure to miss my offer even in the best case scenario and will only be offered a place if a lot of people miss their's which in the past has proven uncommon.
My insurance is Economics & Accounting (AAB) which, if my last module goes up, I will achieve, I just really want my firm :frown: Anyone want to make me feel better? lol

PS sorry for the lengthy post :frown:
laura_frances

Hey just saw in your sing you were nervous about coming over to Belfast for uni. Don't be! We're all pretty friendly I promise :p:
I'm (hopefully) going to be studying Law with Politics so I might even see you in some politics lectures! :biggrin:
FootPrints
Hey just saw in your sing you were nervous about coming over to Belfast for uni. Don't be! We're all pretty friendly I promise :p:
I'm (hopefully) going to be studying Law with Politics so I might even see you in some politics lectures! :biggrin:

Aww thanks for the reassurance :smile: iv been to Belfast a good few times so kinda kno my way around but doesnt stop me from being a little nervous. From my experience i can fully rely on your notion that Northern Irish are friendly :smile: fingers crossed see you in september!
laura_frances
Well I wudnt say i know it well either but i think it might be an idea to get to know the history of the place and lets be honest it doesn't lack any of that lol! So a good starting point might be the museum (if u havent been there already) its new and modern, right near the uni and filled with stuff to keep u occupied for while. I should really do more exploring myself, considering iv been there so many times, i dont kno a lot about the place. We'll leave it to the locals around us to show us the ropes. What school did u go to? And i guess cus ur on a gap year u already have the grades so do u have an unconditional offer? i keep having to remind myself that i mightnt even get the grades!! :frown:

I went to Dean Close School in Cheltenham and was there for 4 yrs (did 1yr at Cheltenham College). Where did you go? Yeh i got my grades in the summer of 2009 but knew I could do better so i decided to take a gap year and re-did 3 exams in january 2010. It was pretty scary but i knew i was capable of going to a rele good uni and didn't want to settle for second best. I now have an unconditional :smile: , which is rele cool as all the pressure is taken off. What are you hoping to get in the summer? Do you have any idea of what you want to do after uni?
'Me=
']Business Economics at Queen's. I really don't want to do it anymore since i looked at books online about mathematics for economists and it looks disgusting, i don't think i'd be that interested in it anymore. I think that my dream to do law is overshawdowing my judgement :frown: Im torn whether to try get into law in Jordanstown through clearing or not (got offer but declined), i haven't decided, but i heard that they always have places available :/ I don't know what it is, but i really don't like Jordanstown? Its going to be pretty much the same as Queen's but i don't want to go there! :s-smilie:

Clearing at Jordanstown would be good. I know, it isn't as pretty as Queens lol. But still in Belfast, and a degree in something you want is better than something you dont really want to do. You could do the whole Law conversion thing after ecomomics too. 'tis an option.
princess_me07
I went to Dean Close School in Cheltenham and was there for 4 yrs (did 1yr at Cheltenham College). Where did you go? Yeh i got my grades in the summer of 2009 but knew I could do better so i decided to take a gap year and re-did 3 exams in january 2010. It was pretty scary but i knew i was capable of going to a rele good uni and didn't want to settle for second best. I now have an unconditional :smile: , which is rele cool as all the pressure is taken off. What are you hoping to get in the summer? Do you have any idea of what you want to do after uni?

Ah i dont know anyone who went to Dean Close or Cheltenham College but i kno both are fairly reputable. I on the other hand went to tiny Winchcombe School, properly out in the sticks, because they dont have a sixth form I didnt bother carrying on. So i started at Gloscat in 2008, despite its reputation im predicted 2 A's and a B BUT my sociology exam didnt go too well so who knows what'll happen come August 19th! There's plently of things Id like to do with my degree, because I couldnt do zoology or conservation due to lack or biology qualifications, id love to use my aquired skills to educate people on the environment around them however id be equally happy working in institutes like the Eurpoean parliament, EU, UN haha, or political journalism. What do u plan to do after uni?? Tbh the reason i didnt take philosophy is cus i cudnt see any job opportunities at the end! :confused:
laura_frances
Ah i dont know anyone who went to Dean Close or Cheltenham College but i kno both are fairly reputable. I on the other hand went to tiny Winchcombe School, properly out in the sticks, because they dont have a sixth form I didnt bother carrying on. So i started at Gloscat in 2008, despite its reputation im predicted 2 A's and a B BUT my sociology exam didnt go too well so who knows what'll happen come August 19th! There's plently of things Id like to do with my degree, because I couldnt do zoology or conservation due to lack or biology qualifications, id love to use my aquired skills to educate people on the environment around them however id be equally happy working in institutes like the Eurpoean parliament, EU, UN haha, or political journalism. What do u plan to do after uni?? Tbh the reason i didnt take philosophy is cus i cudnt see any job opportunities at the end! :confused:

Yeh i had some pretty good years at both tbh. I plan on going into business, i think (not too sure really). I'm doing my degree because i'm interested in the subject. Because its critical thinking and teaches you how to think properly most people go into law, business, accounting, english, journalism. My friend wants to go into the EU as well. She's doing french and italian. Have you done any work experience?
princess_me07
Yeh i had some pretty good years at both tbh. I plan on going into business, i think (not too sure really). I'm doing my degree because i'm interested in the subject. Because its critical thinking and teaches you how to think properly most people go into law, business, accounting, english, journalism. My friend wants to go into the EU as well. She's doing french and italian. Have you done any work experience?

Ahh interesting plan lol. I haven't done an ounce of relevant work experience :o: I couldnt really have, until about 18 months ago I couldnt have cared less about politics!!! im definatley NOT one of those people whos always known what they wanted to do. Was just my last few years at college and taking World Development at A level that got me really interested. Arrgh iv just been looking at ferries across and its really pricey! I plan to go over on the 1st of Sept and stay with my boyfriend til halls open but its like £200 approx return :frown: might just get a plane lol! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending