The Student Room Group

C-Pop, K-Pop, and J-Pop lovers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yes! It's a good idea >..< international music is always good. Whenever I visit Korea there is always a big section of western pop etc but you never see much of Asian music in the UK and if you want to buy a CD you have to import it which is really expensive -_-I don't know how it is like in other parts of UK but my local music stores lack international music. Even when they do have an 'international music' section it's focused on europe or traditional folk music of certain countries. i guess it's cause of the language issue but i dont understand Japanese but i still listen to j-pop/rock and pick up a little bit of the language.

I like J-rock more than J-pop, even though I have no idea what they are saying XD like L'arcenciel, Hyde, Uverworld, ABS (these have all been mentioned before i think) but i was sad nobody has mentioned Alice 9 yet. Check them out~

As for korean music, K-rock is not as 'developed'(or should i say less known/shown through the media) as K-pop. I'd like to know more K-rock other than Eve(&#51060;&#48652:wink:, seotaiji(&#49436;&#53468;&#51648:wink: i know my knowledge of k-rock is limited :frown:.

K-pop groups to look out for are definitely Big Bang, 2NE1, Brown Eyed Girls, 8Eight, F(x), FT Island and the list goes on and on. Recently, there has been like a baby boom for pop groups like mblanq, Beast, Rainbow, Ham, DNT, Secret...the list seems endless but i guess it means people are spoilt for choice ^^

Some korean groups though are MIA from korea, in general like wondergirls are busy trying to conquer USA and BoA is always in Japan or USA

Just to let you guys know there are alot of Korean singers like Boa, FT-Island, DBSK that do J-pop so don't be surprised if you see groups having both korean and japanese songs :biggrin:
sk1

I like J-rock more than J-pop, even though I have no idea what they are saying XD like L'arcenciel, Hyde, Uverworld, ABS (these have all been mentioned before i think) but i was sad nobody has mentioned Alice 9 yet. Check them out~

You're right, its sooo annoying about not being able to buy that sort of music and having to import it.

Oh I like Alice 9 too- there was just too many good ones to list. :p:

tbh though, if ya wanna talk in depth about it, if you haven't already check out soompi or asainfanatics as they have dedicated sections to it. :smile: Yes, though?
sk1
yes! It's a good idea >..< international music is always good. Whenever I visit Korea there is always a big section of western pop etc but you never see much of Asian music in the UK and if you want to buy a CD you have to import it which is really expensive -_-I don't know how it is like in other parts of UK but my local music stores lack international music. Even when they do have an 'international music' section it's focused on europe or traditional folk music of certain countries. i guess it's cause of the language issue but i dont understand Japanese but i still listen to j-pop/rock and pick up a little bit of the language.

As for korean music, K-rock is not as 'developed'(or should i say less known/shown through the media) as K-pop. I'd like to know more K-rock other than Eve(&#51060;&#48652:wink:, seotaiji(&#49436;&#53468;&#51648:wink: i know my knowledge of k-rock is limited :frown:.

K-pop groups to look out for are definitely Big Bang, 2NE1, Brown Eyed Girls, 8Eight, F(x), FT Island and the list goes on and on. Recently, there has been like a baby boom for pop groups like mblanq, Beast, Rainbow, Ham, DNT, Secret...the list seems endless but i guess it means people are spoilt for choice ^^

Some korean groups though are MIA from korea, in general like wondergirls are busy trying to conquer USA and BoA is always in Japan or USA

Just to let you guys know there are alot of Korean singers like Boa, FT-Island, DBSK that do J-pop so don't be surprised if you see groups having both korean and japanese songs :biggrin:

I totally agree with you there. It's so hard to find music...since they don't usually import the CDs here.

I honestly feel that there are a lot of problems having to use the Internet as a source to get the CDs...and that usually costs a lot of money from shipping and handling.

I know that a few K-Pop artists go to China and Japan to expand the industry...and create a breakthrough. I don't think it will be successful in America...except for the Wonder Girls...I believe.

I think it's also a language issue...but there is a huge minority group in the US which consists of an Asian population. To be honest...I believe that America should be more open and willing for these artists to expand into their territory. :yep:
zero_Gravity91
Thank you for sharing these songs! :biggrin:

Oh...so you've heard of them. I don't think that you should ignore them...although you found them annoying. In fact...those are the songs that helped them rise to power in the K-Pop industry...so I think they're songs that should not be missed! :eek3:

In my opinion...I think you lean towards C-Pop and Taiwanese Pop. I presume that you're Chinese? :wink:

I never heard of Hokkien songs. Do you know &#31119;&#24314;&#35441; (Fukienese)?

Lol =) My mother's a Korean-Chinese but my father was a British. I assume that I must have been Chinese as well then. And if you're asking me if I could read in Korean or mandarin, then you'll be dissapointed. Fukienese is also known as Teowchew right? ^.^".

Originally, Dong Bang Shin Ki helped to rise the power in the K-Pop industry. The group is like a "big brother" to Super Junior (as both are from the same company), and other rising groups like Girls Generation, etc.
fuzzybluelight
Lol =) My mother's a Korean-Chinese but my father was a British. I assume that I must have been Chinese as well then. And if you're asking me if I could read in Korean or mandarin, then you'll be dissapointed. Fukienese is also known as Teowchew right? ^.^".

Originally, Dong Bang Shin Ki helped to rise the power in the K-Pop industry. The group is like a "big brother" to Super Junior (as both are from the same company), and other rising groups like Girls Generation, etc.

Oh...I see. Well...I'm not really disappointed in the fact that you don't know Korean or Mandarin. I believe that people usually don't learn their native language...so I think it's all right. :biggrin:

I don't think Fukienese is known as Teowchew. I thought they were both separate dialects.

Hmm...I would totally agree with you...but I think their power is starting to fade...after rumours of the breaking up of the group. I hope that doesn't happen though. :frown:

I know that many groups are starting to form in the K-Pop industry...which is a good thing...but I think the boom is making the competition much much greater than before. As a result...I think it would be even harder to impress the audiences after the creation of several K-Pop groups...but it does provide diversity. :smile:
How about listen to Ikenai Taiyou by Orange Range? It's the opening song for Hanazakari No Kimitachi E. I don't know why, but that song seems to stuck in my head!
If you would like to have this society created...then please say "Yes!"

Yes, please. :yep:
SerpentineLara
If you would like to have this society created...then please say "Yes!"

Yes, please. :yep:

Yay...that's awesome! :yep:

By the way...I love your signature. :love:
Is there anyone else that would like to share their list of songs with us?
zero_Gravity91
Is there anyone else that would like to share their list of songs with us?

Not exactly a list but Taeyang's Wedding Dress is all over my playlist nowadays. I'm not exactly a Big Bang fan, but this song is awesome. :wink: I also liked 2PM's Again and Again, and Only You. Waiting for TVXQ's Toki wo Tomete to come out in HQ too. :wink:
Reply 30
fuzzybluelight
This will be a list of some of my favourites!

Taiwanese:
Jay Chou- Among my favourite songs by him Qi Li Xiang (Orange Jasmine), Dao Xiang (Fragrance Rice), Ting Mama de hua (Listen to your mother)...
Michael Wang- Tong Hua (Fairytale)
Hua Er Yue Dui- Xi xua xua
Wu Ke Qun- Da She Tou
F.I.R
Leehom Wang

Hong Kong:
Janice-Tai Kor
Charmaine Sheh- Kom sam kai (Beyond the realm of conscience) theme song
Justin Lo
Eason Chan
Anita Mui
Aaron Kwok

Korean:
Super Junior & Super Junior-M
Dong Bang Shin Ki
WonderGirls- Nobody, Tell Me
SHINEe- Stand by me (Boys Over Flowers OST)
SS501

Japanese:
Utada Hikaru- Flavours of life
Shimatani Hitomi- Viola
Kiroro- Mirai E
K- Only Human (One Litre of Tears theme song)
Kou Shibasaki
Otsuka Ai- Peach (Hana Kimi OST)
Kazuki Kato- Warning

AARON KWOK IS AMAZING!!

and so is Jay Chou!!
cuddlebuggy
Not exactly a list but Taeyang's Wedding Dress is all over my playlist nowadays. I'm not exactly a Big Bang fan, but this song is awesome. :wink: I also liked 2PM's Again and Again, and Only You. Waiting for TVXQ's Toki wo Tomete to come out in HQ too. :wink:

I love that song too! It is so addicting!

I think everyone likes "Wedding Dress". It has become a phenomenon. :yep:
Aarome
AARON KWOK IS AMAZING!!

and so is Jay Chou!!

LOVE JAY CHOU <3 He is a legend. :h:
JJ Lin's songs are always nice to listen to as well.
I <3 Big Bang's songs, they're all so catchy. G-D is my favourite ^_^

Has anyone heard of Park Bom's (2NE1) song 'You & I'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qskMJfhVrxM

It's been put on repeat on my ipod for the past 24hrs XD
Reply 34
I was getting bored of stalking the medicine threads and the depression that was taking over me so I thought I'd find some Asian music threads... it took so long though, and so few replies! Why is K/C/J Pop still quite unpopular in the UK? I think it's taking off quite well in the US right?

Anyways... I looooove the music. I admit that most Korean pop music is very shallow.. I'm not complaining though. Nice looking people making nice music. I think the language makes everything sound amazing. Since I have sooo much Korean music I'll only mention a few faves.
I like 2PM, Big Bang, 2NE1, Brown Eyed Girls, Super Junior, DBSK, SHINee, Epik High, Drunken Tiger, Tasha, Shinhwa, 1TYM, Se7en, Rain, G.O.D, Wheesung, Dynamic Duo, Outsider, MC Sniper, BoA, Clazziquai, F.T Island...
OK maybe that was too many but seriously the list goes on and on and I even like the underground indie stuff as well and the old school stuff like Seo Taiji.

Japanese pop and rock is really good too. Also love Japanese as a langauge and major love for Japanese rappers cos (unlike Korean) it seems really difficult to rap in.
I like Soulhead, Dragon Ash, M-flo, Amuro Namie, Crystal Kay, Abingdon Boys School, B'z, Polysics, Yui, Ayumi Hamasaki, Hikaru Utada, Ami Suzuki, Koda Kumi, Gackt, Arashi, UVERworld, SEAMO, Funky Monkey Babys, Yellow Magic Orchestra! There's also loads of nice Japanese indie stuff.

C-Pop is great too. I have loved Jay Chou for a looong time. Also like Wilber Pan, Fahrenheit, Kelly Chen, David Tao, Super Junior-M, Patrick Tang, Vanness Wu, Jolin Tsai, Evan Yo, A-Mei

Anyways.. long post. I'm up for the society.

theartyard

I love Bom's 'You & I', have you heard CL & Minzy's solo 'Please Don't Go'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHllqr0n-Xc
They're so great live as well!
theartyard
I <3 Big Bang's songs, they're all so catchy. G-D is my favourite ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qskMJfhVrxM

It's been put on repeat on my ipod for the past 24hrs XD

Yeah...BIG BANG songs are really catchy. :biggrin:

I actually heard of that song before...but I don't know if it's super good. :o:

I actually recommend "Heartbeat" by 2PM. :smile:

For this hot and sexy performance, click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHd8S97Crvo
hyptonic
I was getting bored of stalking the medicine threads and the depression that was taking over me so I thought I'd find some Asian music threads... it took so long though, and so few replies! Why is K/C/J Pop still quite unpopular in the UK? I think it's taking off quite well in the US right?

Anyways... I looooove the music. I admit that most Korean pop music is very shallow.. I'm not complaining though. Nice looking people making nice music. I think the language makes everything sound amazing. Since I have sooo much Korean music I'll only mention a few faves.
I like 2PM, Big Bang, 2NE1, Brown Eyed Girls, Super Junior, DBSK, SHINee, Epik High, Drunken Tiger, Tasha, Shinhwa, 1TYM, Se7en, Rain, G.O.D, Wheesung, Dynamic Duo, Outsider, MC Sniper, BoA, Clazziquai, F.T Island...
OK maybe that was too many but seriously the list goes on and on and I even like the underground indie stuff as well and the old school stuff like Seo Taiji.

Japanese pop and rock is really good too. Also love Japanese as a langauge and major love for Japanese rappers cos (unlike Korean) it seems really difficult to rap in.
I like Soulhead, Dragon Ash, M-flo, Amuro Namie, Crystal Kay, Abingdon Boys School, B'z, Polysics, Yui, Ayumi Hamasaki, Hikaru Utada, Ami Suzuki, Koda Kumi, Gackt, Arashi, UVERworld, SEAMO, Funky Monkey Babys, Yellow Magic Orchestra! There's also loads of nice Japanese indie stuff.

C-Pop is great too. I have loved Jay Chou for a looong time. Also like Wilber Pan, Fahrenheit, Kelly Chen, David Tao, Super Junior-M, Patrick Tang, Vanness Wu, Jolin Tsai, Evan Yo, A-Mei

Anyways.. long post. I'm up for the society.

Thank you so much for giving out your support for the approval of this society! I believe that everyone should recognize the wonders and talents of amazing Korean, Japanese, and Chinese singers! :smile:

I don't know if people in UK are uninterested in K-Pop, J-Pop, or C-Pop, but it is starting to gain international support in parts of Europe. If there was more promotion within Europe...I think these genres will be among the popular songs that people would listen to. :biggrin:

It's usually not so good in the US...with only the Wonder Girls being able to conquer the US music industry so far. Many other artists have tried going for success in the US, but it has yet reached the point of stardom. I think the next one is Rain...which his appearance in one of the Hollywood movies. I guess we'll see what happens at that time.
Reply 37
Yes! I have been listening to a lot of jpop lately. I'm new to this. The singers/groups I've listened quite a few songs from are Akeboshi, NEWS, Round Table feat. Nino and Ayumi Hamasaki. Love it :smile: Wish I could speak Japanese though :frown: But it's on my to-do list!
Peculiar
Yes! I have been listening to a lot of jpop lately. I'm new to this. The singers/groups I've listened quite a few songs from are Akeboshi, NEWS, Round Table feat. Nino and Ayumi Hamasaki. Love it :smile: Wish I could speak Japanese though :frown: But it's on my to-do list!

It's good that you're listening to J-Pop. You'll eventually listen to a wide range of songs of different genres and I'm sure there will be some of your favourite singers lying somewhere in that list.
Reply 39
zero_Gravity91
I actually recommend "Heartbeat" by 2PM. :smile:

For this hot and sexy performance, click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHd8S97Crvo

This is the one where Taec takes off his shirt right? Love it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest