The Student Room Group

Right of Appeal Over Uni Results?

I've just found of today that, at my university at least, there can be no appeal against the 'academic judgement of examiners'. Therefore, you can appeal against a result only so far as to ensure that the component marks were added up correctly, but not to actually have the paper re-marked by someone else to ensure that the original mark was fair or even correct. This seems absurd, and offers little in the way of accountability. I'm aware that papers are checked by an external examiner, however the external examiner only ever checks a sample of papers from each classification brackett.

As you may have guessed I'm very disappointed with one of my marks and really can't understand how I managed to do so badly...

I'm also disappointed with the appeal services offered by my uni... Has anyone else found themselves in a similar position?
Reply 1
I have no grievances about my marks, but I'm pretty sure that the appeal procedure is the same at UCL, i.e. there isn't really one. Was your mark borderline? If so it will have been marked externally and I'm not really sure there's a lot you can do about it unfortunately.
I asked for my Land Law exam to be cancelled because I had a parent go in for surgery two nights before the exam. My mark in the paper was 60 and the Board of Examiners at Ulster decided that I should be happy with that mark because the majority of the year got under 50. I investigated the appeal procedures and found that I cannot argue with their decision. If I want to resit the exam, it will show up on my transcript as a second attempt so that obviously isn't an option. The common position of universities seems to be that unless you can prove procedural irregularity, you're screwed.

Having said that, I bitched about it by e-mail and phone and how the low mark was going to ruin my chances for postgraduate study. They offered me a 'glowing reference' from the head of the Law School in exchange for shutting up about it. Clearly, the solution is to commence complaining as soon as they open on Monday. Meeting a student half-way is usually a lot easier than playing hard ball when the student in question will not put a sock in it.

This might annoy a few people but you're not there to get a Most Agreeable Student degree.
Reply 3
My mark wasn't borderline, and it was just above the average mark, but it was the lowest mark I've ever attained and it pulled my average down to below a first. I was somewhat surprised as I felt the paper went well.

I've asked for a clerical check which involves someone adding up all the marks to make sure there wasn't a mistake there.

Not a lawyer: Given that your head of law at that stage was Brice Dickson, a glowing reference from him is worth a lot - he's an impressive character!

Latest

Trending

Trending