Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Can a truly multicultural society ever exist? Without a dominant culture?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe it can.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only if government is so minimal as to be virtually invisible. The institutions of statehood tend to form an identity around themselves - in fact, that is how most nations are probably formed. People, thrown together in one country, will tend towards sharing an identity and cultural orthodoxy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    NO.

Multi-culturalism in this country means the loss of identity and the breaking down of cultures.

We've already had to suppress so much of our identity, our culture so as not to cause offence.
    If it continues there will be no culture left, they will all be absorbed into one. - One language, one currency, one culture - the tool for Globalization.

Multiculturalism is an idealistic dream that is turning in to a nightmare for any country that has introduced it. Instead of intergrating people it has divided them, and is the initiator for violence, hatred and the loss of identity - to the host nation, and to the immigrant communities who settle in it, their culture is diluted as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    NO.

Multi-culturalism in this country means the loss of identity and the breaking down of cultures.

We've already had to suppress so much of our identity, our culture so as not to cause offence.
    If it continues there will be no culture left, they will all be absorbed into one. - One language, one currency, one culture - the tool for Globalization.
    The loss of racial identity, not personal identity. I have a pretty damned good idea about my background and culture (American) and who I am. It's just not based along racial lines.

Oh, and the fear of globalization is really amusing, by the way.

Multiculturalism is an idealistic dream that is turning in to a nightmare for any country that has introduced it. Instead of intergrating people it has divided them, and is the initiator for violence, hatred and the loss of identity - to the host nation, and to the immigrant communities who settle in it, their culture is diluted as well.
    I live in a country that is extremely multicultural (perhaps the most multicultural country in the world? I'm not sure) and there's absolutely no loss of identity "in the host nation." What little ethnic violence there is (and frankly, there is very little of it any more) is mostly left over from a bygone era.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism won't work because differing cultures aren't prepared to sacrifice parts of their build to accomodate new aspects from an outside culture.

Multiculturalism right now in Britain is basically non-existant, it's just a collection of different cultures living together on the same bit of land, isolating themselves from one another.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 11, 2009
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.