The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apologies for the rant in advance, but i need to unleash my anger somewhere lol.

I advise anyone thinking of applying, DO NOT DO IT. I swear it is the WORST place i have ever ever worked. The management are absolutely awful. I work in RI in Ireland in a small town. The managers look down on us like we are worthless and talk to us like dirt. My manager has made almost every member of staff cry (and these are women in their 20's, not young teens), i swear i think she gets enjoyment out of making other peoples lives hell. The divide between the management and non management is shocking, they think they are so much better than us and treat us like children. My manager talks to me and shouts at me as if i am a child.
In addition to this, we NEVER get the breaks we are entitled to. I worked 6 and a half hours yesterday and got no break. Today i worked 5 and a half and didn't get a break either, not even 5 minutes. The only time they give you a break is a 1 hour lunch break if you work like 8 or 9 hours. It is the closest thing to slave labour nowadays.
In addition to this, they always make us work an extra half hour and we don't get paid for it. Today for example, my shift was 12-5.30pm. I was put into the back stockroom and made do ****ty jobs all day, and was told that these jobs were to be completed by 5.30pm. My shift ended and i still didnt have the jobs finished and my manager told me i wasn't leaving until they were done, made me stay until i had them finished. I finished just after 6pm and she refused to change my hours on the rota because apparently "i was too slow and there was absolutely no excuse for me not having them done on time". This is not a one off, its a regular occurrence where we have to work an extra half an hour and do not get paid for it.
I want to quit SO badly, but i need the money. I have applied for other jobs but have had no luck so far. My manager is SUCH a bitch and if anyone stands up to her or argues with her, she turns all the members of management against them and picks on them so badly. I've seen it happen numerous times. I've been there nearly a year now, dont know how i have stuck it, i want to cry every day. I have had friends who have worked in other RI stores and have said the exact same things i have. DO NOT work here, honestly it is the closest thing to hell on earth and i have had some pretty ****ty jobs in the past. They all were an absolute dream compared to this daily nightmare i face.
I have worked as an Xmas temp for two weeks now and I just quit, handing in my letter of resignation tomorrow. I got about 30 minutes of training, had been left with numerous tasks in the stockroom
to complete ALONE with no idea what to do. I have completed tasks incorrectly following rushed instructions from the manager who is of no help and is not liked by ANY employee there yet I'm the only one with the balls to take a stand. They expect too much when I'm only their minion for a couple of weeks. Good luck to them. Would absolutely not reccomend working here, even in my short employment there it was awful. No breaks either.
Seriously bad, i'm glad i'm not the only one. Everytime i mention how hard im finding it people just say stop moaning or thats just the world of work. So far i have't been given a single break and have had to stay on my feet for 6 hour shifts without any water, food, loo breaks or sitting down. Some of the people are nice but the managers seem really intolerant to mistakes despite the fact i was given next to no training and working there has made me really tired and constantly feel ill. Im a christmas temp and even on the negligable chance they keep me on i intend to quit.
Reply 103
I'm a manager at a flagship RI and while some of this is true, alot of it is not. Staff are inducted into the store and basically given training that is suitable for their role and will be cross trained for other areas to fit with company needs, while we know that it can be clicky there's nothing we can do about staff being friends with each other but we.dp have a zero tolerance for bullying, i dismissed two employees recently for bullying an xmas temp and making inappropriate comments about her appearance infront of me. Legally you can work 6 hours without a break if you're over 18 if under 18 then it's 5, if you work over 6 hours you are entitled to a 30 min break and over 7 and a half you get an hour.
After the store closes staff are expected to stay for atleast 30 mins to recover the shop to a standard where it is presentable for the next days trade and if the recovery runs over it's usually because staff are too busy talking to each other.
That being said alot of staff don't realise that they are paid to do a job and that you know what the wages where when you took the job on, Also most staff seem to think that it's ok to do whatever they want when on shift ie leaving there sections (which is a Fire, Health and Safety risk and opens the floor up to theft), talking to each other rather then talking to customers which is what they are paid to do. When all is said and done the company isn't that bad of a place to work and most management if you ask them politely and don't ask every 15 minutes will let you go for a drink or a toilet break, it's not a concentration camp and we sell clothes, we're not saving lives, You should all be glad for a job in this enviroment and Staff are rewarded with promotion if they step up to the mark and impress, you all need to ask yourself if you're expecting too much and being too bitchy about what could be a very good job.
Reply 104
It is awful!!! I ended up leaving after 6 weeks. It's really not a nice environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! I was a Christmas temp in 2014, and was treated badly indeed. Mainly by the Main manager. She was rude, stubborn, in your face and just alround horrible to work with. The 2 month period I worked there she had made 8 people cry, me being one of them. She treated her workers so badly that a lot quit after just 1 shift. One time I was sent home for resting my foot on tone of the rails in the fitting rooms (due to have a slight chip in the left side of my left foot, which caused me agornizing pain), and then she was all in my face and cruel. She then later bitched about me to other employees which was out of order. It's a terrible place to work and very stereotypical too. I mean I am a goth, and I don't stick to the high street fashion, and due to that was looked down by many other emplyees, but was also told that was the reason I didn't get a perminent contract with them, because I don't understand the latest fashions....and I wasn't paid first and when I was finally paid I was over £100 down.
So I recomend to others not working there.
Original post by Avicoo
I'm a manager at a flagship RI and while some of this is true, alot of it is not. Staff are inducted into the store and basically given training that is suitable for their role and will be cross trained for other areas to fit with company needs, while we know that it can be clicky there's nothing we can do about staff being friends with each other but we.dp have a zero tolerance for bullying, i dismissed two employees recently for bullying an xmas temp and making inappropriate comments about her appearance infront of me. Legally you can work 6 hours without a break if you're over 18 if under 18 then it's 5, if you work over 6 hours you are entitled to a 30 min break and over 7 and a half you get an hour.
After the store closes staff are expected to stay for atleast 30 mins to recover the shop to a standard where it is presentable for the next days trade and if the recovery runs over it's usually because staff are too busy talking to each other.
That being said alot of staff don't realise that they are paid to do a job and that you know what the wages where when you took the job on, Also most staff seem to think that it's ok to do whatever they want when on shift ie leaving there sections (which is a Fire, Health and Safety risk and opens the floor up to theft), talking to each other rather then talking to customers which is what they are paid to do. When all is said and done the company isn't that bad of a place to work and most management if you ask them politely and don't ask every 15 minutes will let you go for a drink or a toilet break, it's not a concentration camp and we sell clothes, we're not saving lives, You should all be glad for a job in this enviroment and Staff are rewarded with promotion if they step up to the mark and impress, you all need to ask yourself if you're expecting too much and being too bitchy about what could be a very good job.

I was was a Christmas temp and was treated like crap by the store manager and most of the emplyees, I hated my time there. I wasn't paid on time, and when I was I was over £140 down, I worked so hard and tried to please everyone, I got on with my job and was praised by many and yet they still hired people who stood around doing bugger all. Many told me it was probably due to my fashion still (as I am a goth) and that they normally hire people who are the stereotypical river Islands order, which I believe to be very judgemental and hurtful. And I am going ton continue to tell people of my expire ended at river Island is they ask, and make sure they know it isn't a good place to work.
Original post by aoibheannmc
I have worked as an Xmas temp for two weeks now and I just quit, handing in my letter of resignation tomorrow. I got about 30 minutes of training, had been left with numerous tasks in the stockroom
to complete ALONE with no idea what to do. I have completed tasks incorrectly following rushed instructions from the manager who is of no help and is not liked by ANY employee there yet I'm the only one with the balls to take a stand. They expect too much when I'm only their minion for a couple of weeks. Good luck to them. Would absolutely not reccomend working here, even in my short employment there it was awful. No breaks either.

i had that exact same. I was never told what to do (I was in fittin rooms and stockroom) they were no help to me, was also treated like crap by the managers. Was late people paid and then unpaid. Then was kept on afterward despite being a good and hardworking worker, they hired people who looked the part (the stereotypical river island worker) dispite not doing theres on right. Many told me that is why I wasn't hire because I didn't know the high street fashion nor looked the part to work there, due to be a goth. It was a horrible environment and hated every minute of it.
Reply 108
It's absolutely awful; it's crap
Reply 109
Heres a river Island interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOix366bFEU
I've been working at river island for about 1 1/2 years. Just had my last shift this Saturday gone. I was on a 9 hour contract (sat 9am-1:30pm sun 9am-1:30pm) at this I was doing 5 days a week at college. I had to come in on Sundays before the shop opened and do paperwork with/for my manager. I was briefly trained how to do the paperwork and was constantly told off in my first few weeks when I forgot what I had to do. I was on £4.65/hour. Yet was still expected to keep up-to-date with uniform meanin I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe (with a measly 30% off) at least once a fortnight, this wasted around 2/3 of my wages every month. One of my managers even admitted they couldn't afford to work at RI.

My store manager was awful, bitchy and manipulative. He had tried to frame a sales assistant for stealing £100 from a till because he didnt like them. When I first joined he told me that me having dyed-blue hair was against company policy. So, believing I could trust my manager I spent around £70 to get my hair bleached blonde. As it turned out it was just his personal preference and he just didnt like my hair. My manager would sit in his office all day and drink coffe and in the hour max that he'd be on the shop floor during the day he would tell everyone to work harder. One time he accused a woman of shoplifting, ran out of the store after her (which you're not meant to do) and when she complained about being accused he blamed it on the menswear manager (who was a lovely person and had been upstairs the whole time). On Sundays if you were working until the end of the day he would keep you until 5:30pm even though officially everyone had to leave at 5. We weren't paid for the extra half hour. Generally he was just an awful person, who manipulated others to stay in his position safely. He even deleted emails from our area manager to the ladies wear manager to do management courses. Although I was just a sales assistant, my manager kept saying I had to give a months notice because of my
I've been working there for 3 years. It's a great place for young people who love fashion. You get all the experience you need. They pay me for all the extra hours that I do. I don't ever work without getting paid and I always leave on time and get my breaks. So the company has changed ALLOT.
I have an interview at the Croydon RI next week, has anyone worked there before?

& how are the managers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you need to go to the toilet GO, if you need to have a drink HAVE ONE, if you need to sit down, SIT. Yes ask for permission. If they say no to going to the toilet or having a sip of water you should take no notice and do it anyway. It's basic human rights! It's up to you. What can they do? Sack you for needing a wee or a sip of water? I'd love to see them try, bet they'd love that negative publicity and the law suit play out in the press.
River Island is a hell whole. Turned down a Job offer there. I had the worst interview in my life there. It was me, 4 other girls and a guy. 3 other girls were so cliquey, it was literally like a Mean Girls movie. One of the 'lead' girls was so bitchy I could see her giving me dirty looks out of the corner of my eye and her and her vile friend spent 20 minutes answering every question and wouldn't give anyone else a chance to get a ****ing word in. Once I found out that she had also been given a job offer and had accepted, I rejected mine. I would not recommend river island at all, the managers are disgustingly arrogant and the girls there are ****ing bitches who treat people like ****!! Worst shop EVER!!!!!!
Original post by Avicoo

Hello I just wondered if you can help me , I have worked at the company for just over 2 years as just a part time sales assistant I couldn't find out the notice period anywhere in the handbook , do you know what it is?
Reply 116
The place is HORRIBLE! Poor management skills to say the least. I worked there for over 2 months and was not given a locker. They then expect you to find a certain manager every time you come in to hand your valuables to them so they can lock it in a safe. The worst part is sometimes you can't find the manager on the shop floor and you have to frequent the whole shop looking for them JUST to put your stuff away. Not to mention the managers are all bitchy. They expect you to work overtime ALL the time for their crappy pay. I was barely trained when I started and was expected to know everything. The worst times are when the store is understaffed or when the sales are around. They also expect you to buy their merchandise every season so you wear it to work. I worked there for 2 months and then quit that trashy hell hole. As a previous poster stated, the staff discount is NOT worth it!

- Birmingham poster here
Original post by aoibheannmc

hey, ive just left river island after 3 weeks as an xmas temp, it was supposed to be pay day today but theyve given be ex employee access to oracle to i cant see pay slips, did they pay you online or send a cheque in the post when you left?
Reply 118
Worst place ever to work. Managers don't have a clue what they are doing and sometimes you aren't given the breaks you are entitled to because they have "forgot". If you leave early due to being unwell or anything they deduct from your pay for leaving and are very harsh when you phone in sick for genuine, serious reasons.
Working in river island at the age of 16&17-
I was originally an x-mas temp in river island, on my first day at river island , it was meant to be my training however I didn’t get trained at all. They just made me tick a few box’s saying I understood where the fire exits are etc. This lasted about an hour and they straight away made me take my 4 hour shift without even being trained and I was not aware I had to do my shift this day so I was very nervous and felt like I couldn’t say no. my first few weeks I had no locker or thob so had to hide my things in the staff room on the floor and had to ask to be let into any stock room or the staff room every time. I got till trained 3 months into working at river island and managers would constantly ask me to go on till yet when I said I hadn’t been trained they seemed to get angry at me ! None of the managers communicate properly about their staff! All they do is b*tch to one another about us! I found out that I got a 15 minute break in my 5 hour shift 3 1/2 months into working at river island. I had been working 5 hours straight with a dry throat and mouth yet being too afraid to ask to get a drink or go to the toilet. I actually ended up getting a very bad cold at one stage because of the heaters not working. We were all working in freezing temperatures with snow outside the building and it was awful. We weren’t aloud to wear jackets or scarves and no body explained to us that it would be fixed any time soon etc. I once had lost my voice and I was very ill therefore couldn’t phone up sick so my mum offered to do so. Everything seemed fine but then I went into work the next day. I got called down to admin to explain why my mum phoned up for me and told I had breeched the contract therefore I had to sign a piece of paper saying I will never do this again. The speech given by the manager talking to me was written down and read word by word as if I was being questioned by police. It was intimidating. I went back up to the floor and just wanted to go home but of course I couldn’t. I carried on dragging my self to the awful place every weekend Saturday and Sunday when one weekend Saturday, my dad was rushed into hospital due to a known genetic heart disease. I had to look after my young brother that Saturday morning as no one else could due to my mum being in hospital with my dad. We had a river island group chat in which people spoke about their query’s , hours of work as well as shift swapping! I went on the group chat and baring in mind at this point I was devastated so physically had tears rushing down my face for hours on end , I messaged ‘would anyone be able to take my 9-2 shift tomorrow morning’. Straight away a girl said she would take the shift. I was very thankful. I then messaged another staff remember personally and asked whether I have to phone up or if I’ve put it on the group chat it’s fine as id seen the managers had read the messages. He said it’s fine on the group chat as long as managaers had seen the messages in which they had as they soon messaged on the chat after me about another thing. I looked after my brother then dragged myself into work the next day feeling just down and upset but I pulled through. I was usually downstairs in women’s however I got sent straight upstairs to men’s cash desk yet again with no clue what I was doing as I’d literally been taught how to scan an item and that was all. In the end a girl my age actually got asked to train me. Not even a manager! So I spent the day nervously at the tills trying my hardest to get things correct and not mess up anybody’s purchases ! Rest assured I did. Half way through my shift I got called down to admin. I was very confused what it was going to be about because I couldn’t re call what I had done wrong. Everyone knows your going to admin as it’s spoken over the head pieces so therefore everyone knows your in trouble. I got sat down in a room with two managers being questioned why I didn’t call up sick the day before. Whenever I tried to explain myself it was cut of and the next question was asked. The other manager in the room was writting word for word everything that was said. I got told I had severely breeched the code of conduct and they started pulling files out about me from left right and centre. Documents that I’d ticked I understood code of conduct (on my first day of river island... I didn’t even remember anything I got told that day and if I did it was ‘don’t climb up a ladder that’s too tall’ COMMON SENSE!) as well as the document I had previously signed to say I was very sorry for my mum calling up sick for me ! I got sent to a small box room on my own for half an hour staring at the wall whilst the two managers spoke about what they did with me. When I got called back into the room they explained they were sending me to a disciplinary meeting. This is a meeting in which people have to attend when they’ve bloody stole something ! Not when they have been ill twice and nothing’s been explained so they broke ‘rules’ they didn’t even kno existed !!!!! I was disgusted and upset and expected to go back up and work as if nothing had happened. I went and finished my shift, got in the car and decided to resign.

River island was my first job and it has generally scard me. It was an awful work place. Staff were treated like animals. Managers reminded me of a bunch of high school *****’es and it just was a very unfair work place. It was deffinately not worth £5.60 an hour to be going home upset after every shift.

All I can say is DO NOT WORK FOR RIVER ISLAND.
You get treated like SH/T !

Latest

Trending

Trending