The Student Room Group

Does anyone else notice how many aggressive atheists there are?

I mean, seriously, I see quite a few atheists who are extremely antagonistic towards all spiritual beliefs besides their own. Seriously, when did you get so close-minded and arrogant? I'm not religious myself (I am an agnostic deist), but it's still really worrying. I'm really happy that atheists are now WAY more accepted than in the past, but I don't want some role reversal. I don't want to see theists getting persecuted in the future by atheists, which is the way I see it going. I find a lot of theistic beliefs ridiculous too, but we don't have to be cruel about it.

((Disclaimer: I AM NOT GENERALISING. I AM REFERRING TO SPECIFIC ATHEISTS))

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. I think its just you.
Reply 2
By antagonistic, do you mean that they tell religious people that they're wrong?
Yeah, I agree. BTW what's an agnostic deist? SP
Reply 4
Still not as many as aggressive christians, generally.
But yeah, there will always be the odd idiot that tries to convert you, whether to theistic or athesitic beliefs.

Just ignore them.
Reply 5
nexusofsanity
I mean, seriously, I see quite a few atheists who are extremely antagonistic towards all spiritual beliefs besides their own. Seriously, when did you get so close-minded and arrogant? I'm not religious myself (I am an agnostic deist), but it's still really worrying. I'm really happy that atheists are now WAY more accepted than in the past, but I don't want some role reversal. I don't want to see theists getting persecuted in the future by atheists, which is the way I see it going. I find a lot of theistic beliefs ridiculous too, but we don't have to be cruel about it.

((Disclaimer: I AM NOT GENERALISING. I AM REFERRING TO SPECIFIC ATHEISTS))

its a problem i have tbh. Just last week i was going door to door while people were having their dinner and harassing them into changing their beleifs.

it works both ways. and maybe you got a little too into angels and demons?
Well obviously. You won't notice the passive ones because they can't be bothered to put their point across! For every aggressive atheist there are most likely hundreds of passive atheists and agnostics and people who generally don't give a damn.
atheists on here get aggressive because religious people keep asking them questions and then sticking their fingers in their ears so they cant hear the answer.
Reply 8
robbo3045
No. I think its just you.

This.

Get off your high horse OP.
Reply 9
There are theists who are equally as aggressive.
sleekchic
There are theists who are equally as aggressive.

and in greater numbers.
Reply 11
Totally agree with the OP, I mean, all these Atheists killing and bombing in the name of their...oh...wait...nevermind :smile:
morecambebay
atheists on here get aggressive because religious people keep asking them questions and then sticking their fingers in their ears so they cant hear the answer.

in the past week i've seen 1 'why are you an athiest' thread - and several million (exaggeration) - 'why do you believe in God - your wrong - here's why' theads - so i think its the other way around
Don't see your point. There are no more "aggressive atheists" than there are aggressive followers of a faith.
alexterry

:awesome:
Reply 16
There are a lot on here, and those who haven't noticed it obviously haven't been on a single remotely religious thread!

However, in real life I think people tend to keep their religious views to themselves (in England, I mean. Overall in the world there are probably more aggressive religious people).
Reply 17
It's the loud aggressive ones that get all the attention and give them a bad reputation

We religious folk have the same problem and as such shouldn't read anything into it
Forcing atheism down people's throats is just as silly as doing the same with religion.

If you believe in invisible sky wizards, I don't care, stop talking. If you think invisible sky wizards are fundamentally bogus, I don't care, stop talking.
Reply 19
morecambebay

Yes. A quick look at the first page of the Theology section of D&D shows that it is full of people asking atheists questions. Except of course, for the bits where it isn't. And the "Ask an Atheist" thread is far longer than any of the others except of course "Ask a Christian", "Ask a Muslim" and "Ask a Jew".

Latest

Trending

Trending