The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Psychology New Specification

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Im so screwed for this exam.

Firstly: i hardly know any more than 20 of the 72 studies
secondly: It is physically impossible for me to write fast enough to answer 2 questions for health and 2 questions for crime
Reply 41
I'm seriously terrified for our exam on Monday. Our school does Health and Forensic but there's so much to remember! I'm tempted to leave out sections but it's risky I think.

Also, has anyone got an example answer for Question B? I'm finding it difficult to give advantage/disadvantages of different theories.

Forgot to mention, 1st post :smile:
Me three :frown:
retake for me in jan me thinks
Reply 43
oceanic815
Me three :frown:
retake for me in jan me thinks

Everyone at my college (its a very large sixth form) feels like they are screwed for this exam, and it seems like most people on here feel the same way. My teachers have been saying that the syllabus is very bad and unclear as to how much knowledge we need etc etc. The length of time we have in the exam is a joke as well. Im hoping that grade boundaries go down if everyone messes up, as it seems like everyone is very worried about this exam. The silly thing is its really just a memory test, even with the part B questions, you need to have the knowledge of the studies to evaluate. :mad:
I have only just started revising for this today. I'm so screwed! I did this exam in January and got an E so this is a retake for me. Tbh it;s not like i'm even stupid at psychology for my AS I got 91%. I do have a worse teacher this year, but also this exam was just awful. I went into the exam room and forgot loads of studies and knowing how to answer the part B's in anyones guess, everyone seems to say different things about it! I'm majorly stressing now as I need a B in it so I get an A overall for Uni.
Reply 45
jasmine90
Hey guys, Just have a question.
When you have a part B question that reads:
"Discuss the problems psychologists have when trying to study juries." (15)

Do you have to just write about the weaknesses/problems OR do you have to give a 2 sided arguement (2 strengths 2 weaknesses at least)? Cos Ive heard that you need to have a balanced arguement for part B's to get a good mark?
Please could someone help asap!!!

My teacher told me to always, always give both sides of the argument in any question like this, because it shows you have a broader knowledge, can consider both good and bad points and shows your skills in evaluation :smile: x
Reply 46
amazingmatty
Heres my revision cards, colour coding seems to help :biggrin: Can anyone remember every study yet?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I haven't made any flash cards but I did write a short summary of every study, plus revised them with a friend.

The thing is, I feel that my weakest section is definitely Section B, so I'm trying to make sure I have a basic understanding of each study and then hopefully, when I see the Section A questions in the exam, they will jog my memory. I know it's a risk to take but I don't know what else to do!
Reply 47
Hi,

I'm sooo nervous for this exam, i have never felt this bad for any exam :s-smilie:

We've been told to do 2 paragraphs for section B, following this format
Point
evidence, evidence
comment
counter argument
conclusion

i read some earlier posts that said they were doing 4 paragraphs for section B... how is this possible??? i strugle in the time limit just with 2..... What is everyone else doing?? could really do with any advice....
Reply 48
I have been told to make 3 points with evidence, comment counter agument and evaluation. This is three/four paragraphs. 4 is for A* students
Reply 49
mrk12a
I have been told to make 3 points with evidence, comment counter agument and evaluation. This is three/four paragraphs. 4 is for A* students

how do you do that in the time limit? are they long paragraphs?

:frown: :s-smilie:
Reply 50
I am doing this exam on Monday as well. I find the timings absolutely ridiculous and the depth of knowledge that someone has to learn is insane. However, I am dreading G544 even more, timing is even tighter in that one than this one.

I think I may remember about 30 studies, however, I am having a lot of difficulty with the names of the Psychologist.

I'm not going to revise what came up in January, as OCR have a whole selection of studies and topics to pick, surely they cannot be that cruel and pick the same stuff over again?!!?!?!

Not revising this btw...
Forensic
Turning to crime - Biology
Making a case - Interviewing Suspects
Making a case - Creating a profile
I am not sure of the last one, i think imprisonment and suicide (we didn't learn this) however, I'm leaving out making a case all together.

Biology
Healthy Living - Adherence to medical regimes
Stress- Causes of stress
Stress Management techniques
Disorders - Characteristics

I'd love if there was an MSN convo doing revision!
Reply 51
I'm doing Health: Stress and Health living
And the Education handouts!

We've been told to do it like this: for 15 mark
Point
Evidence
Comment
However
Evidence
Comment x2

One mark for each sentence, and then at the end do a 3 mark THIS MEANS! Or just do a Point, Evidence, Comment!

Whats annoying me the 15 mark questions! I hate Discuss!!! And I don't understand Discuss the applications! OMG :/

Anyone else really scared for this exam? 1st year was so much better!
lawrien
Everyone at my college (its a very large sixth form) feels like they are screwed for this exam, and it seems like most people on here feel the same way. My teachers have been saying that the syllabus is very bad and unclear as to how much knowledge we need etc etc. The length of time we have in the exam is a joke as well. Im hoping that grade boundaries go down if everyone messes up, as it seems like everyone is very worried about this exam. The silly thing is its really just a memory test, even with the part B questions, you need to have the knowledge of the studies to evaluate. :mad:

that makes me feel better that people are in the same boat as me.. but yeah it is ridiculous the amount of detail that we are supposed to know, and the technique and evaluation issues argh it's too much :/

elixir37
I haven't made any flash cards but I did write a short summary of every study, plus revised them with a friend.

The thing is, I feel that my weakest section is definitely Section B, so I'm trying to make sure I have a basic understanding of each study and then hopefully, when I see the Section A questions in the exam, they will jog my memory. I know it's a risk to take but I don't know what else to do!

That's exactly what I'm doing, I don't think there's much more we can do to be honest :/

BTW how do we evaluate theories, for example sutherland??
You need just over half raw marks for a B! It was like 54 out of 100 for a B in Jan. So that's good. And as someone else said i'm missing out the sections that were in the January exam and extra revising topics that didn't come up as it's likely there will be two questions on them. I'm hoping that won't be a bad risk to take but I don't think I can learn all the studies between now and monday!
Reply 54
Hey

i dont know if this will help you guys or if you think its too risky but I took this exam in jan (we did crime and health) and my teacher told us all that if we cant remember the exact name/details of the study then just make up a name and study but try and keep as close to the real study as you can because the examiners wont bother checking if its a real study or not and to make it look real just put a date by the name. I did it throughout my exam and i got one mark away from an A and was really happy with that considering i didnt have time to finish the last question. But yeah i dont know if that helps or if u want to risk it but its just an idea.

Good luck with it anyway, i know how much it sucks!
Ahh that's interesting. I'd be worried to do it too much expecially as there are Key Studies - implying they are the ones we want to write about. But if you really have a blank and need to write something that sounds like a good plan. Tbh they arn't gonna know all the experiments done ever!
Reply 56
hmm i may have to do that, as for the first time ever with an exam, i really do feel like i will open the exam paper and wont know how to answer ANY of the questions! Ithink i may be able to blag it for part B. But what my teachers have told me to do is completely different to what alot of people on here are saying!

I have a feeling that OCR are gonna get in the s**t for this course as it really is crap! Its really just a memory test! The part B's at leats test our knowledge and understanding to some extent, but no one knows how to answer them as the spec is so badly designed!

Maybe we should get every OCR psychology student to boycott the exam :P
Haha
for part b i was told to do 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages and conclusion using PEE... that's abit much isnt it? :/
Reply 58
For part B i was told to have 3 points i could make ( such as reductionism, validity and generalisability) describe what they meant and link them to a study from the section we had the part a on. Then summarise and conclude. Its stupid, no one seems to know what exactly they should do for the part B. Most people from my college are to busy revising all 72 studies to even care about the part B atm :/
lawrien
hmm i may have to do that, as for the first time ever with an exam, i really do feel like i will open the exam paper and wont know how to answer ANY of the questions! Ithink i may be able to blag it for part B. But what my teachers have told me to do is completely different to what alot of people on here are saying!

I have a feeling that OCR are gonna get in the s**t for this course as it really is crap! Its really just a memory test! The part B's at leats test our knowledge and understanding to some extent, but no one knows how to answer them as the spec is so badly designed!

Maybe we should get every OCR psychology student to boycott the exam :P

"I have a feeling that OCR are gonna get in the s**t for this course" - could not agree more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending