The Student Room Group
Be youreself, smile, be confident...
Antimatter
Be youreself, smile, be confident...

Yup. And don't worry too much - you may want this to happen, but they also want it to happen. Good luck! SP :smile:
Some tips from The PhD Application Handbook by Peter J. Bentley:

- avoid rambling

- listen carefully to the question being asked

- don't be dishonest/hide information from the interviewer

- don't be cocky

Some questions typically asked during a PhD interview:

Why do you think you'd like to do a PhD?

What do you think it entails?

Why do you think you are suited to do a PhD?

You're interested in X. Tell me what research you've done in the area and what you'd like to do for your PhD.

You haven't qualified for our studentship. How are you going to pay tuition fees and living costs?
Reply 4
Nonohull
Hello dears!

I'm having my PhD interview next week. Please if any one has any good advice help me:confused: . I'm kinda nervous. I appreicate your help!! Thanks:p: !

What degree program?? Arts? Science?
Think of questions they might ask and be prepared to answer them.

"How long is a PhD dissertation usually?"

"What are you planning to do after your PhD?"

Try to come up with some of the worst questions they could give you...

"Why did you do so badly in [this module or A-level]?"

"Can you explain [area you understand poorly]?"

"You were previously working as a [job], what made you decide to leave this?"

Also, make sure there are some questions you have for them too. You'll feel a lot better about it if you treat it a little bit like you're interviewing them to decide if you want to go there. See if you can get a tour around the labs and meet some current PhD students or postdocs. Ask their opinions, they'll often give you background information on the position that the supervisor wouldn't tell you. Also, if you make a good impression on the rest of the "team" there it will help you as they may (informally) be asked their opinion of you.
Reply 6
arod
What degree program?? Arts? Science?

Biological Science:smile:
Reply 7
That was really helpfull!!! Thanks a lot for you all!!
Reply 8
To add to what others have said:

- Make sure you've gone through your undergraduate / Masters thesis and can talk about it. Make sure you remember all the nitty gritty like why you used particular stats tests and that you're prepared to answer criticisms on the subject
- If you can, make sure you have a good idea of the wider applicability of your degree. I didn't realise at the time but I got major brownie points for going on about how I didn't want to do science for science's sake - I wanted to do something that was applicable and useful to the real world
- Prepare to get your throat torn out. Some PhD interviews are very nice, but it's not uncommon at all to have a panel of 6 people seeing how hard they can push you before you snap.
- Don't be afraid to talk through your thought process aloud if you don't know an answer to a question.
- Have ready examples of transferable skills you'd like to develop, and things you'd like to achieve (e.g. you can ask questions about their development programme - whether you'll have the opportunity to attend seminars / training courses - and also about the possibilities for undergraduate teaching.
Reply 9
Nonohull

Wow, well done. I haven't even sent in my applications yet, and you've already got an interview! Way to go!
Reply 10
Nonohull

Ooo I didn't even read that bit - where have you applied?????
There are a few tips in the most recent New Scientist Careers magazine - it includes some unusual ones such as have a cup of tea shortly before the interview so you give a warm handshake to the people on the panel, and also try to make yourself look more attractive, lol! I think dressing well is definitely a good idea but if you're already very nervous, drinking more caffeine might make you shakier/sweaty/in need of the toilet during the interview! I didn't drink any tea but I ate well from the free buffet which calmed me down a bit!

My actual interview was quite scary at there was a panel of 6 people who I had to explain my previous work to in detail, but one of them was really smiley and encouraging and he made me feel more at ease!

Latest

Trending

Trending