The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
RockyRoad
Hi

Sorry, this is a bit of a long shot but I was just wondering if anyone knows...

Can non-students get in to the unions at night? Do you have to sign them in and do they need ID?

Yes. They have to be accompanied by a member though. Each EUSA member can sign in up to two non-members. In order for the non-member to sign in, they will need a valid form of ID and will have to provide the address that they are staying at that night. You will also have to provide your matriculation number.

The licensing rules around non-members buying drinks are a bit tricky, so the best way to avoid any problems is if the person buying at the bar is the member. I was once asked for my matric card at the Library Bar so it's not totally impossible that they would ask a non-member.

Bear in mind that if union staff don't like the look of the non-members they can refuse them entry.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I went to Potterow with a student (I don't go to Edinburgh) and it was absolutely fine, nobody asked any questions at the bar. I was slightly confused when the guy at the door asked me where I was staying that night but hey...

However I was there again more recently with a student and another friend who unlike us wasn't over 18. Despite him being there before we were told you could only get in if you were a student OR over 18 being signed in. This seems to be a policy that isn't always enforced.

Got to say I had an awesome night at Big Cheese!
hollo
I went to Potterow with a student (I don't go to Edinburgh) and it was absolutely fine, nobody asked any questions at the bar. I was slightly confused when the guy at the door asked me where I was staying that night but hey...

However I was there again more recently with a student and another friend who unlike us wasn't over 18. Despite him being there before we were told you could only get in if you were a student OR over 18 being signed in. This seems to be a policy that isn't always enforced.

Got to say I had an awesome night at Big Cheese!

:rofl:
hollo

They want to know where you're staying so that if you trash the place and get identified they know who you are and where you live. It's also, once again, to do with it actually being a "club". Like I said, people generally won't ask questions at the bar, but they're entitled to - and the rules around non-members buying alcohol are very complicated. You're more likely to be queried outside of Potterrow, in places like the Library Bar, Loft Bar etc. The being a member of 18 and signed in is in the association bylaws. Can't have minors coming in.
nearlyheadlessian
Each EUSA member can sign in up to two non-members.

I've never been sure as to whether it was two or three people we were allowed, so always end up borrowing flatmates uni cards to get other people in... thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks very much! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending