The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer - certificates?

I got an unconditional offer yesterday, and expected to be asked under the "conditions" or wherever to show my certificates? Or I would at least be contacted about it, but I haven't been. Obviously I can prove I've got the grades required if necessary, but I just wondered why this is - or if some unis/departments just don't have this policy. Could it be something to do with the fact that I've already been to uni, therefore was accepted based on my grades, so it's not as if I've just had a gap year/am a mature student... Thanks for any clarification, bit confused.

ALSO, while I'm at it, maybe some of my unis will ask for certificates - in which case, how is this generally done? Do you post copies, or show someone on the first day of uni or what? Or should I ask the uni because it depends? Thanks again.

Scroll to see replies

I think UCAS get told your grades anyway. When I met my offer on exam results day a few months ago, UCAS knew about it before I did. I've never had to show anyone my exam certificates.
When I had an unconditional offer they emailed me to ask for the certificates once I'd firmed them. They allowed me to send either copies as long as I showed them my actual certificates once I got there. I sent my originals anyway to just get it done with.
Reply 3
Even if your offer doesn't specify that they want to see certificates (or other proof), you may still be asked to. The offer is only valid as long as the in formation on your UCAS form is correct. You may find that you get an email/letter later asking for confirmation. Unis will differ with how they want to see your certificates, so either wait until they ask you or phone and ask them.

UCAS only receive details of pending qualifications from the exam boards (and only certain qualifications - the full list is on the UCAS site or on the wiki).
Stressworthy
I got an unconditional offer yesterday, and expected to be asked under the "conditions" or wherever to show my certificates? Or I would at least be contacted about it, but I haven't been. Obviously I can prove I've got the grades required if necessary, but I just wondered why this is - or if some unis/departments just don't have this policy. Could it be something to do with the fact that I've already been to uni, therefore was accepted based on my grades, so it's not as if I've just had a gap year/am a mature student... Thanks for any clarification, bit confused.

ALSO, while I'm at it, maybe some of my unis will ask for certificates - in which case, how is this generally done? Do you post copies, or show someone on the first day of uni or what? Or should I ask the uni because it depends? Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat, I got an unconditional offer(having sat A-levels last year), but this was my first time applying to UCAS. I found it quite weird, and am still wondering when they'll ask me, simply because you could easily lie your way through...

One of my other choices gave me a conditional offer, under the condition that I gave them evidence of my A-level grades, etc.

:s-smilie:
Stalin
I'm in the same boat, I got an unconditional offer(having sat A-levels last year), but this was my first time applying to UCAS. I found it quite weird, and am still wondering when they'll ask me, simply because you could easily lie your way through...

One of my other choices gave me a conditional offer, under the condition that I gave them evidence of my A-level grades, etc.

:s-smilie:

If they don't ask now, they'll ask to see unconditional's certificates once you get there. It saves on paperwork by not seeing every potential students certificates and just seeing those that are actually there.
Reply 6
Right, thanks for all the answers.

Yeah, I know I've met the conditions, but they don't - and was just wondering whether they'll contact my previous uni to ask if I met them or anything? :s-smilie: I'll just make sure I have proof or whatever if I go next year in case they do ask... but they've mentioned nothing at all.
Reply 7
Stressworthy

UCAS get your grades directly from the exam bodies. I don't even have certificates for my A levels, i don't think i have any for my GCSEs either come to think of it, all i had at the time was the pieces of paper that are given out on results day. My GCSE certificates had to be sent back because my name was spelt incorrectly on all of them and i never received the new copies. Don't know whatever happened to my A Level ones.
Reply 8
pipsi
UCAS get your grades directly from the exam bodies. I don't even have certificates for my A levels, i don't think i have any for my GCSEs either come to think of it, all i had at the time was the pieces of paper that are given out on results day. My GCSE certificates had to be sent back because my name was spelt incorrectly on all of them and i never received the new copies. Don't know whatever happened to my A Level ones.

No. UCAS only receive grades of exams you are yet to receive the results for. If you've already completed A Levels, they do not receive or verify the grades.
Reply 9
pipsi

The problem is that UCAS get your grades and send them to the unis only if they're pending - I have no pending qualifications as I already have my results, and have already achieved what they require :frown: So that's why I'm confused and dunno what to do. Guess I'll just keep proof anyways in case it's needed when I go to uni, but other than that all they can do is go off the fact that I've already been to Uni...?
Reply 10
Juno
No. UCAS only receive grades of exams you are yet to receive the results for. If you've already completed A Levels, they do not receive or verify the grades.

They did in my case, I applied to uni the second time round after i had my A levels. These were the old style A levels so it might have changed now.
Reply 11
pipsi
They did in my case, I applied to uni the second time round after i had my A levels. These were the old style A levels so it might have changed now.

No, it's been like that for a long time.

They may have verified your grades with your referee, especially if you applied through school/college and not as an individual.
Reply 12
Juno
No, it's been like that for a long time.

They may have verified your grades with your referee, especially if you applied through school/college and not as an individual.

I applied as an individual. My referee was my boss from work, they wouldn't have any idea what my grades were let alone be able to verify them. I'm 100% convinced they confirmed my grades from UCAS, either that or they didn't bother checking which i find extremely hard to believe!
Reply 13
pipsi
I applied as an individual. My referee was my boss from work, they wouldn't have any idea what my grades were let alone be able to verify them. I'm 100% convinced they confirmed my grades from UCAS, either that or they didn't bother checking which i find extremely hard to believe!

hey (: did the uni verify your reference? if so how? (: thanks xx
Reply 14
ripeboss
hey (: did the uni verify your reference? if so how? (: thanks xx

No idea, i don't think so because if they did my boss would have probably told me. I was also interviewed by the uni before i even submitted my UCAS form because i decided to apply so late in the day. They were having their last lot of interviews so i had to go before i had time to send my form off, apparently they aren't really allowed to do that. A couple of days after the interview i got a postcard from the lecturer who had interviewed me, thanking me for coming and saying that he looked forward to hopefully seeing me in September. So i pretty much had the place before i even submitted my UCAS form. I did bring a copy of it along to the interview so they saw the info on it.
Reply 15
pipsi
No idea, i don't think so because if they did my boss would have probably told me. I was also interviewed by the uni before i even submitted my UCAS form because i decided to apply so late in the day. They were having their last lot of interviews so i had to go before i had time to send my form off, apparently they aren't really allowed to do that. A couple of days after the interview i got a postcard from the lecturer who had interviewed me, thanking me for coming and saying that he looked forward to hopefully seeing me in September. So i pretty much had the place before i even submitted my UCAS form. I did bring a copy of it along to the interview so they saw the info on it.

So, since you got your place before you submitted your UCAS form, what makes you think they were concerned about verifying your grades? You were clearly a special case.

It is not possible for UCAS/unis to obtain grades of previously taken examinations
Reply 16
Juno
So, since you got your place before you submitted your UCAS form, what makes you think they were concerned about verifying your grades? You were clearly a special case.

It is not possible for UCAS/unis to obtain grades of previously taken examinations

If they didn't verify them i could have made up any grades just to get in, I'm still convinced they were verified through UCAS as I thought so at the time.
Reply 17
pipsi
If they didn't verify them i could have made up any grades just to get in, I'm still convinced they were verified through UCAS as I thought so at the time.
No, because unis can and do ask to see certificates at enrolment, and some expect you to send in scanned copies etc. UCAS only deals with pending qualifications when they process the results in August (results from January resits are held over until then too, which is why people who meet their offers at that point need to tell their unis separately). If a uni doesn't check certificates on entry but subsequently finds out that an applicant had not been honest, it has been known for someone to be thrown out, or even for a degree awarded to be rescinded. So it's just not worth the risk.
Minerva
No, because unis can and do ask to see certificates at enrolment, and some expect you to send in scanned copies etc. UCAS only deals with pending qualifications when they process the results in August (results from January resits are held over until then too, which is why people who meet their offers at that point need to tell their unis separately). If a uni doesn't check certificates on entry but subsequently finds out that an applicant had not been honest, it has been known for someone to be thrown out, or even for a degree awarded to be rescinded. So it's just not worth the risk.

How would they find out someone hasn't been honest, out of interest?

For me personally, I'm asking if it's possible for them to find out my grades and whether or not I've met the requirements without me personally showing them proof. And since they've not asked to see anything yet and have just given me an unconditional offer (on the basis that I have the grades), I'm assuming I may need to do so at enrolment? The only reason I can think of them not wanting to see anything now is because I've already been to uni, so presumably met their grades. Furthermore, it's pretty shocking that someone would put down false grades to get into uni so they're taking my previous ones at face value?
Reply 19
Stressworthy
How would they find out someone hasn't been honest, out of interest?

For me personally, I'm asking if it's possible for them to find out my grades and whether or not I've met the requirements without me personally showing them proof. And since they've not asked to see anything yet and have just given me an unconditional offer (on the basis that I have the grades), I'm assuming I may need to do so at enrolment? The only reason I can think of them not wanting to see anything now is because I've already been to uni, so presumably met their grades. Furthermore, it's pretty shocking that someone would put down false grades to get into uni so they're taking my previous ones at face value?
Things come to light in unexpected ways, and exactly how a uni checks is something I would expect them to keep to themselves (otherwise people would find ways round it). Most applicants are going through a school or college so that is a check in itself (usually :smile: ). In your case, you will be expected to produce your certificates at enrolment, including, I would assume, the certificates for any GCSE or equivalent qualification which is listed as essential (eg English at Grade C). If they want evidence earlier they will ask for it, so don't worry.

Latest

Trending

Trending