The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
marlowe92
Why is it #20 in the world, but #19 in the UK? It seems like a fantastic university, but I'm just wondering why it's not as "prestigious" as some of the other UK unis. St. Andrews, in comparison, is #3 in the UK but #85 in the world. Which should I pay attention to- world or UK rankings?

Different assessment methods....
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
And I think you are going a bit psychotic about rankings.
marlowe92
Why is it #20 in the world, but #19 in the UK? It seems like a fantastic university, but I'm just wondering why it's not as "prestigious" as some of the other UK unis. St. Andrews, in comparison, is #3 in the UK but #85 in the world. Which should I pay attention to- world or UK rankings?

Neither. Choose your university based on:
1) how much you like it, not other people.
2) how good the specific department is.
Reply 4
I've always thought Edinburgh does seem to be pretty unfairly placed on the Times League Table.
Reply 5
cybergrad
And I think you are going a bit psychotic about rankings.

Haha I am not! I was just curious as to how two universities can be ranked so differently- and if either table would be more reliable than the other. If anything, the discrepancy just proves how silly and unreliable rankings really are!
Reply 6
It's like asking why Oxford is number one in the UK but Cambridge is above it in the world rankings, neither list is incredibly useful, unless you're one of those people who lives for prestige and wants to apply to Oxbridge because it's "the best".
That being said I'm applying to Oxford haha
Neither's more 'reliable', they are ranked on different criteria so different results are inevitable. But i must say Edinburgh is a very good university and definately a top one.
Which list are you using? Becaue according to The Times, it's 14th in the UK, and according to The Guardian, it's 7th, just to show how different assessments change the outcome. It also totally depends on the subject, of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending