The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, I'm scared being first as I don't want to look stupid, but I'd guess:

Women individually deeply love themselves but hate all other women and the idea of women.
All women secretly wish they were men?
behind their vanity women have an unrelated (for no reason) lack of respect or intense dislike for other women.... i think
Reply 4
It seems so far that we roughly all agree.
miss_p
Would someone care to explain it to me, please? Then I can decide if I'm ignorant or thick, or neither :smile: THEN I can decide if I want to change it or not... TA VERY MUCH.

So do you really not understand the quote? If so why put it in your sig in the first place?

Anyway the quote is:

"Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman." - Friederich Nietzsche

This could mean that beyond the care and personal attention each woman might give to themselves to make themselves look and perhaps smell beautiful, women themselves perhaps are also very aware of other women who do this and perhaps this creates rivalry and jealously amongst other things.
Reply 6
I know this is totally irrelavant but in 6 minutes it will be Friday.
Reply 7
"Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman."

Through all the vanity, women all have contempt for themselves and other women, perhaps? Though the impersonal bit is a bit weird...

Either way, I'm not sure I like the quote for some reason...
Reply 8
Lol well I thought I understood it, like what everyone else has thought it to mean... but SOMEBODY thinks I don't understand it, so I thought I'd check to see if I was right or not.
Reply 9
Louise_x
"Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman."

Through all the vanity, women all have contempt for themselves and other women, perhaps? Though the impersonal bit is a bit weird...

Either way, I'm not sure I like the quote for some reason...

I took the impersonal bit to be a sign of detachment, as in, hating all but themselves.

But no, it definitely isn't a nice quote.
Reply 10
it means a women's place is in the kitchen and don't you forget it
Reply 11
i go for that with all our vanity over our own appearence, we are really really jealous of ANY other women who is attractive, and then hate them for it
I go with what everyone else said, but I took the impersonally bit to mean that the hatred against other women isn't personal (they don't know the specific woman and hate her) but is just an impersonal hatred for any other female.
I think it means we should kill the Jews.
Reply 14
Personally I don't think it's true. I have a good relationship with my mum and generally feel have more empathy with my female friends than my male friends. Though I have lots of male friends, I find that women far more easier to approach and befriend as I have a lot more in common in them.
Also, after centuries of patriarchal dominance, rather than be jealous when a woman achieves something, I say good on her, as long as it was done through hard work and fair means.

However, I don't pretend to like everyone. If someone is clearly a prick, whether male or female, I won't bother.

Latest

Trending

Trending