The Student Room Group
I don't think it's particularly important. They wouldn't not give you an offer on the basis of previous employment so I really wouldn't worry :smile: Plenty of people apply without even had a job before.
Reply 2
Fill it in if you want to tell the universities about what you've been doing work-wise. If its not relevant, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 3
I personally would fill it in regardless of whether it is related to your area of study or not. Shows you have been doing something for the last 7 years for a start. The different jobs shows that you have worked in range of areas which is all good experience, and some of this may have some relevance for parts of your course that you are not aware of. Also the skills you picked up in your jobs will be useful. I would have thought that for mature students the uni would defiantly pay at least some attention to this section.
Reply 4
I've done mostly administration and retail jobs in the past and I'm applying for nursing. They're not relevant, but I added them anyway, it shows you have plenty of experience working/communicating with all sorts of people in a professional capacity, which are useful skills to take with you to uni.
I've been a full time lay trade union official (that is, my employer pays me to work for the union, not the union itself) for the past two years and prior to that, worked in Local Government HR, and I got an unconditional offer for Creative & Professional Writing.

Being a union communications officer did help with that, but also I have to do a lot of writing in preparing for cases (as casework is the majority of my workload) and making submissions to consultations, which I made a point of.

If anything, having a work history shows that you can stick something out and have a track record of being disciplined enough to do what you're asked to do - hardly a bad thing!

Latest

Trending

Trending