Reply 1
Anyone? :emo:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
ArcadiaHouse
Anyone? :emo:

I don't think so.
If you need it for single honours, chances are you'll need it for double honours, and vice versa. It should really say on the website or in the prospectus which subjects you need to do for single if you're not sure.
Reply 4
Rainfaery
I don't think so.

:shock: Thanks. See, at the open day they said I didn't need Higher Classics to study it as an outside subject, so I thought about applying for joint English & Classics, but thought 'If I don't have Higher Classics will they reject me anyway? :lolwut:' I'll call them tomorrow. :ninja:
Reply 5
barefootfiona
If you need it for single honours, chances are you'll need it for double honours, and vice versa. It should really say on the website or in the prospectus which subjects you need to do for single if you're not sure.

Yeah, you need it for single honours :o: Actually, you need Higher Latin and/or Greek, neither of which my school offers, but I want to study Classics at uni. I'm in a pickle :lolwut:
Reply 6
ArcadiaHouse
:shock: Thanks. See, at the open day they said I didn't need Higher Classics to study it as an outside subject, so I thought about applying for joint English & Classics, but thought 'If I don't have Higher Classics will they reject me anyway? :lolwut:' I'll call them tomorrow. :ninja:

You realise tomorrow is Saturday, right? :p:

You shouldn't take my word for certain, as I am a physicist, and not a classics person, but I'd imagine classics is not a widely taught A-level, so it'd be silly to punish those who want to study it at university but haven't had the opportunity to learn it in sixth form.
Reply 7
Rainfaery
You realise tomorrow is Saturday, right? :p:

You shouldn't take my word for certain, as I am a physicist, and not a classics person, but I'd imagine classics is not a widely taught A-level, so it'd be silly to punish those who want to study it at university but haven't had the opportunity to learn it in sixth form.

Because the open day was on a Saturday I thought they'd be open :o: Are they not? :frown:

I do Scottish Highers; very few schools offer Latin, Greek and Classics these days. This is literally a lightbulb moment before sending my UCAS away next week; do you think I'll stand a chance of bullcrapping my way into Classics at this stage, or do you think I should wait and choose when I get to uni?
Reply 8
:reaper:
Reply 9
ArcadiaHouse
Yeah, you need it for single honours :o: Actually, you need Higher Latin and/or Greek, neither of which my school offers, but I want to study Classics at uni. I'm in a pickle :lolwut:

They offer courses for people who have not studied latin&greek, for those who have studied either latin or greek and for those who have done both at Oxford, so I would imagine they are similar in their approach at Cambridge
Mali Singh
:reaper:

Do elaborate. It's not a disaster if it's bad news, I can take it :p:
A-friend99
They offer courses for people who have not studied latin&greek, for those who have studied either latin or greek and for those who have done both at Oxford, so I would imagine they are similar in their approach at Cambridge

... I didn't mention Oxbridge. :p:
Reply 12
ArcadiaHouse
... I didn't mention Oxbridge. :p:

yeah, but most unis seem to follow by Oxford's example as it's widely regarded as the top uni for classics :p:
OK, I've just seen an example Classics PS on here and I will not be able to bullcrap my way onto the course.

Back to the drawing board :work:
Reply 14
English Literature & Classics MA
UCAS code: QQ38
Minimum entry requirements

SQA Highers: BBBB (or more if two sittings). including English Higher at Grade B.

GCE A Levels: BBB. including English Literature or English combined A Level at Grade B.

From here. I can't see anywhere that states you need a Higher in Classics.
Static.
English Literature & Classics MA
UCAS code: QQ38
Minimum entry requirements

SQA Highers: BBBB (or more if two sittings). including English Higher at Grade B.

GCE A Levels: BBB. including English Literature or English combined A Level at Grade B.

From here. I can't see anywhere that states you need a Higher in Classics.

*falls off chair*

Prospectus:

MA Classics
Highers BBBB. Latin and/or Greek at Grade B.

That's single honours. Was I looking at the wrong thing?

God bless you, Static :love:
Reply 16
ArcadiaHouse
Do elaborate. It's not a disaster if it's bad news, I can take it :p:

:bubbles:
Mali Singh
:bubbles:

Do you have anything of value to contribute to this thread? This is serious :frown:
It sounds like Static. has the answer, but I am 100% certain it will not hurt to call, and they will want to help you. It will save you SO much time and trouble.
barefootfiona
It sounds like Static. has the answer, but I am 100% certain it will not hurt to call, and they will want to help you. It will save you SO much time and trouble.

Thank you. I take it they're not open on Sundays? :rolleyes: Bummer. I love how people in the Classics forum have been helping me so much, as if they really want me to do it :p:

Does anyone know how competitive English Literature & Classics is at Edinburgh? English lit has a 12% success rate and Classics is 40%, but I'm not sure how competitive the two combined is, plus its website only has the "English Lit Joint Honours" average success rate, not specific degree combos :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending