The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

James77
Hey Guys, Im thinking about enrolling to do a Access course, how are you all finding it? What is the workload like?
Is there anyone here doing one at Derby Uni??
Im hoping to eventually get to Uni to study dental hygiene/theapy and from looking on derbys website access courses are Maths, Study skills and English are studied at level 2 and gsce equivalent, then choose 3 subjects to study at a higher level.
Does this mean level 3?
Im hoping to do Biology,Psychology and Health studies.

I have a appointment to go see a tutor for some advice early feb, but be nice to have abit of prior knowledge on how those of you doing one of these courses find it. Im 28 by the way and have been out of education for about 12 years!

The Access course is a level 3 basically A-level equivalent study program you would probably enrol on a science based access course that includes biology etc not the pathway im on so someone studying this could give you more an insight as im doing the Business and IT pathway in my Access course :smile:
Reply 61
James77
Hey Guys, Im thinking about enrolling to do a Access course, how are you all finding it? What is the workload like?
Is there anyone here doing one at Derby Uni??
Im hoping to eventually get to Uni to study dental hygiene/theapy and from looking on derbys website access courses are Maths, Study skills and English are studied at level 2 and gsce equivalent, then choose 3 subjects to study at a higher level.
Does this mean level 3?
Im hoping to do Biology,Psychology and Health studies.

I have a appointment to go see a tutor for some advice early feb, but be nice to have abit of prior knowledge on how those of you doing one of these courses find it. Im 28 by the way and have been out of education for about 12 years!

Hi :smile:

I'm half way through my access course now. I'm finding the workload manageable, I certainly wouldn't want any extra though! A lot of people have dropped down from full to part time because it was too much, but they're mostly people with jobs to contend with as well.
Yep, every subject is either level 2 (GCSE equivalent) or level 3 (A level equivalent).
I'm doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology at level 3, with Science and IT at level 2.

You'll probably find you're one of the youngest on your course. I'm 22 and I feel like the odd one out. The majority of students are 30+, don't worry about getting used to being back in the classroom again as everyone feels the same way and the teachers are very understanding and try to make it all as casual as possible, it doesn't feel like school at all... though I have to admit it's quite funny seeing a couple of women in their mid-40's being shushed for talking in class :biggrin:

I'm loving it all so far, it's hard work but totally worth it and is preparing me well for uni (at least I hope!)
Summer241
Hi :smile:

. though I have to admit it's quite funny seeing a couple of women in their mid-40's being shushed for talking in class :biggrin:

I'm loving it all so far, it's hard work but totally worth it and is preparing me well for uni (at least I hope!)

That bit made me giggle as we have one on our course that is told in every class to pipe down for being loud by other students and the tutors :yes:

But definitely prepares you for University :smile:
Reply 63
Great, this definetely looks the way to go, I read somewhere else on this forum about alot who do drop out, this is quite understandable with people who have jobs and family.
Are you doing it full or part time?
Ive looked into all sorts of avenues like going to night school to do gcse's, and night school for A levels, but when adding up the cost of doing them this way a few subjects clash (as in being taught the same evening) so would take me a extra year, also they're pay per subject so works out quite abit more expensive.
Also home study and apply as a external student to take exams, but I think you do learn more having a tutor and easier to ask questions on things your unsure about.
Im quite looking forward to speaking to a tutor at my local uni, but will have to wait until september till the course starts! I just missed out for Jan applications :frown: so in the meantime, Im just going to continue working and try to get in some work experience aswell before I start. :smile:
Reply 64
I got all distinctions on my HNC higher education assignments, doing the top up degree at university and got my first assignment back with only a score of 58%, i was so disheartened and now my confidence is knocked I am bricking the exams in 2 weeks! (im a part time student doing business management)
Reply 65
I got all distinctions on my HNC higher education assignments, doing the top up degree at university and got my first assignment back with only a score of 58%, i was so disheartened and now my confidence is knocked I am bricking the exams in 2 weeks! (im a part time student doing business management)

Latest

Trending

Trending