The Student Room Group

How much does race matter to you?

Seriously?
I've gotten slightly paranoid since seeing all the race related posts on TSR and I am becoming conscious of being black these days when I'm around people who aren't. But surely this isnt an issue for most people..I mean...skin colour is just that right? And race is a social construct?
( Applies both ways, this isn't directed at any specific race)
( If there are threads on this already, well, sorry.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Race isn't a social construct, nor does it just boil down to skin colour. But, If I was working with someone who was black I wouldn't treat them any differently than someone who was white. People from different races are different, they are different in many ways both visible and invisible, but this shouldn't make a difference to how you are accepted socially among people of other races. I wouldn't worry about things if I were you.
Race doesn't matter to me personally on so many levels. Only when it comes to relationships then I make choices, even then... nobody is ruled out.
Reply 3
In general or in attraction? No problem with other races in general as I'd imagine is the same for most people, but when it comes to attraction, I can't say I've ever fancied anyone outside of my own. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Race never ever matters to me.
Race is no biggie for me...I pretty much find any race attractive.
Reply 6
Race doesn't bother me but I do take into account the differences between us all, and sometimes make decisions based on that. NOT in a racist way at all- the complete opposite, in fact :smile: Just, some races might be better/more useful for some things than other races. OP, you shouldn't feel conscious of your skin colour though!
missbrowneyes
Seriously?
I've gotten slightly paranoid since seeing all the race related posts on TSR and I am becoming conscious of being black these days when I'm around people who aren't. But surely this isnt an issue for most people..I mean...skin colour is just that right? And race is a social construct?
( Applies both ways, this isn't directed at any specific race)
( If there are threads on this already, well, sorry.)

If you are a decent person, I couldn't give a flying hoot about your race. :hugs:
Bothers me to be honest, I know it isn't particularly rational or correct but it's just from the pit of my stomach. Probably because I have grown up in a very white town and my parents are fairly racist.
Race doesn't make a difference to me in any respect, including physical attraction.
No difference at all.
Reply 11
Xenopus
Race isn't a social construct, nor does it just boil down to skin colour. But, If I was working with someone who was black I wouldn't treat them any differently than someone who was white. People from different races are different, they are different in many ways both visible and invisible, but this shouldn't make a difference to how you are accepted socially among people of other races. I wouldn't worry about things if I were you.

Hmm. I've always thought it was....I have been reading some books about human genetics ( for ucas) and they keep talking about how people in different "races" often share genes supposedly only associated with one race or the other. But you are right, it shouldnt make a difference, but then there is James Watson saying Britains foreign policy should be changed to allow for the lower IQ of African nations.
Reply 12
As long as she's socially conservative I'm happy. I don't care about race.
Reply 13
jj.
Race never ever matters to me.

:grin:
Reply 14
Personally, I'm attracted to all races :smile: So it doesn't matter to me
Reply 15
Race is a fact. That it makes you any better or worse of a person is not. The vast majority of people don't really care what colour you are, or what your race is. Attractiveness, with regards to race, is subjective. Personally, I don't really have a 'type'. Worry not.
Not at all.
Reply 17
missbrowneyes
Hmm. I've always thought it was....I have been reading some books about human genetics ( for ucas) and they keep talking about how people in different "races" often share genes supposedly only associated with one race or the other. But you are right, it shouldnt make a difference, but then there is James Watson saying Britains foreign policy should be changed to allow for the lower IQ of African nations.

Whether the Africans, on average, have a lower IQ than the average white person has not been shown, but if you accept and understand evolution then differences such as these among the races are only to be expected. No one has a problem accepting that black people are often more naturally athletic than white people.
But, as we're talking of averages, it isn't something that bears on the individual. I hadn't heard about Watson recommending a change to foreign policy, but most of what he says about racial differences is true, even if it is controversial.
Whether or not the differences are real, and I am inclined to think they are, any given african man should be judged on his own merits, in the same way any given white man should be. In a social situation, or at work, it isn't logical to discriminate against someone of a different race because of the general properties of his race. No one, or virtually no one, conforms precisely to the average of any group they belong in, the average is useful for judging groups, but next to useless for judging an individual. So for this reason it isn't fair to presume that a man is less intelligent, or less anything, because he is black.
Of course, genetically we are predisposed more to be attracted to people of our own race, or those who are more physiologically similar, or at least the average person is, and this is a type of discrimination we cannot avoid or do anything about.
secretmessages
Race doesn't make a difference to me in any respect, including physical attraction.

This.
Reply 19
Only imbeciles believe that the human race is separated by race.

Latest

Trending

Trending