The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
"merchistonian" =P I don't think we have such a cool term. I'd definitely go back to stew mel, without hesitation. I've got no regrets but there's quite a lot of stuff I'd do differently. It's been such a big part of my life for 13 years, gonna be sad to leave. It must be even sadder for you guys, seeings as you're saying goodbye to the place you spend most of your teenage years.

I'm not really sure whether I'd send my kids to "the college", but I am sure they're definitely going to school in Edinburgh (but not Herriot's - neds & gay staff). I dunno if single sex education is all the jazz it's cracked up to be - you have to make such an effort to see girls n stuff, rather than them just being there! A lot also depends on how sixth year goes - the school and I don't see eye-to-eye on certain things. If the b4st4rds had made me deputy head boy or something then I'd have sent my kids there fo shizzle. There's also the issue of where I'm living etc. I definitely wouldn't want to move kids around schools. If the school is the same as it is now then I probably would send them, to be fair. I'd just worry about trying to relive my old school days through my kids. Plus there's the whole cliquey thing with parents.

Do you have any brothers or sisters? I can't imagine myself having enough money to pay for, say, 2 children - £14K/year. Man, what if the school loses charitable status?! It'd probably cost more than I'd earn to send them there. Looks like I'll have to marry a rich b1tch....
Reply 61
join the ATC, you can do DOE through there and not only that, you get to fly a plane.
A Stewmellian!!! Haha. Sounds like a Highland dish...

I was pretty sad to leave. I said bye to my friends so many times, got their messages/signatures in my yearbook, but thankfully my best friend is coming over in September to visit bonny Germany!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing him, esp. as I won't see most of the people I knew at school ever again. You know, the familiar faces of friends, not-so-friends, aquaintances, enemies: all GONE, never to be seen again (most of them), except perhaps at a reunion.

Single sex (schooling) does sound awful, I agree, thankfully I started Merchy when I was 10, and didn't have women on the mind. You get majorly used to it, and the effort that you have to go to to see womankind shows wome, incidentally, how much you appreciate them... :smile:

Heriots is sh*t!!! Send 'em to Merchy if it's a he, and send her to Merchy as well :smile:

I have (had) a brother at Merchy with me in 5th form next year (one year below you), a smaller 9 year old bro who is most likely to go too, and a sister who goes to Ampleforth and is Captain of their Lacross team for next year. I was only ever vice-captain of a rugby team - and a crap one at that... I like shouting out directions, though.

I never quite understood how private schools had charitable status. How are they charitable?
Reply 63
=O you're in Germany?!? Can you speak German n stuff? I went on a school trip to Germany 3 years ago, we stayed in Koblenz (if you know it) - highlights included a girl falling through a glass door, bleeding tonnes, and "nearly dying". Weather there is pretty good.

Four kids at boarding school? You're 'rents must be loaded =P I hope I can affoard that when I'm older.

I get the impression that Merchy atl east embraces the fact its single sex, where as Stew Mel try to apologise for the fact by having the stupid "twinning" thing. You maybe see the girls once per term, and even then half the people don't want to see eachother. jeeez.

I don't really understand the whole charitable status thing either. I think it's quite a lot to do with the whole "non profit" factor, though there's definitely other stuff. Tbh I don't think it's all that fair that they get "charitable" status, but I think they do deserve the tax breaks etc...
My dad is pretty high up in KPMG - "Head of Transaction Services for Europe" or something poncy like that. That's why he can afford it all. Incidentally, I realise I am extremely lucky in that I went to such an amazing school, and also speak fluent German, yep. I don't take it for granted. Sounds clichéd, but it's true.

Merchy flaunts it's single sex openly!!! You should look at the brochures: as a pupil there, you read it, think "wtf", and put it down again... "male bonding" and "special relationship" my arse! It is a good way to school a boy, and def. helps the academic side, but otherwise it's just a school with, well, minus girls... just an ordinary private school.

Weather here at the moment is drab everyday. But the weather ain't important.
Reply 65
Craggerz
join the ATC, you can do DOE through there and not only that, you get to fly a plane.

my dad is a pilot lol, i prefer boats
Reply 66
I did D of E and i hated it! :frown: the walking was ok but the camping is terrible; sleeping uncomfortably, eating 'plastic' food, feeling dirty and hurt - it was horrible! I just wanted to go home. The only reason i did it was because it would look good on universities and employers, but i stopped at Bronze and didn't carry on. When they see that you've got that, i don't think it really matters any more. I can't speak for CCF but that doesn't look nice either! Personally, i would go for D of E, even though it's horrid, it's only for 2 days and that's it!

HEAD BOY
Reply 67
I do both ATC and DOE i love ATC and i do DofE through it, so effectively you could do both. I have to disagree with you there HEAD BOY the camping isnt that bad. I have been on mnay camps and i suppose i get used to it, ATC or CCF is a great experience, you meet loads of new people and it looks very good on your CV. During my time at atc i have flown a plane, shot a rifle, done charity work, gained 4 GCSEs (BTEC in aviation) and have been promoted to Corporal. I would suggest CCF if you are going to do one of them but try and do both!
sorry 4 bein stupid but whats CCF lol? :confused:
Reply 69
combined cadet force, its a mixture of air training corps, navy cadets and army cadets!
Nutchopper
combined cadet force, its a mixture of air training corps, navy cadets and army cadets!

thanks 4 that sounds fun i've done d of e silver but that sounds a bit 2 physical 4 me lol
Reply 71
lol it is fun, well i dont do CCF i just do seperate ATC

Latest

Trending

Trending