The Student Room Group

Is my personal statement to long?

Hi, first time poster so be nice :smile:
basically ive just finished my statement for my application to Literature and History courses and its clocked in at 45 line and 3816 characters. I know the limit is 47 lines and 4000 chars but college had recommended I keep it short and sweet. Is a uni tutor likely to just skim read a long statement and does anyone think it will damage my chances?

probably just over worrying really :smile:

josh
x
Reply 1
It's fine as long as you stay under the limit :smile:

I don't think it'll damage your chances at all!
Reply 2
I think pretty much everyone goes up to the limit :smile: or close to it
Go to the limit, it would be foolish not to - your schools advice sounds terrible
Reply 4
i dont think i've ever used a forum where members reply so quickly! thanks for the advice. and yes wilson_smith my colleges advice is generally shabby at the best of times.
Reply 5
HistoryHobbit
i dont think i've ever used a forum where members reply so quickly! thanks for the advice. and yes wilson_smith my colleges advice is generally shabby at the best of times.
There is no point in padding out your PS just to fill up the space. Your college's advice was fine.
Mine hit the character limit on the dot and I have 2 offers so I'm guessing it's not a problem.
Don't just waffle though, If you don't have anything important to talk about then don't say it at all.
Basicly don't listen to your school, they sound poor at life.
if it doesnt fit into the box on UCAS then its too long, just copy and psate it and see it wont do any harm
Reply 8
HistoryHobbit
Hi, first time poster so be nice :smile:
basically ive just finished my statement for my application to Literature and History courses and its clocked in at 45 line and 3816 characters. I know the limit is 47 lines and 4000 chars but college had recommended I keep it short and sweet. Is a uni tutor likely to just skim read a long statement and does anyone think it will damage my chances?

probably just over worrying really :smile:

josh
x

Have you copied and pasted it into the box on UCAS? Mine was 4000 characters and 47 lines on MS Word but it was alot over on the UCAS system.

3800 isn't too long... it's not past the maximum!

Latest

Trending

Trending