The Student Room Group

EXCEL HELP PLS! REP! - Excel Solver Add-In

Hi, I'm using solver to minimize a value of chi squared by changing parameters... and it's totally not working for me.
Afaik I'm doing everything correctly, and solver comes up with a value.. only it's absolutely identical to before I used the add in. And I can make chi squared huuuge (so I know there are smaller values) and it still doesn't do anything.
Is anyone able to help me with this?
It's for my lab report, I'd really really appreciate it if you guys could help me!!!

I attached my spreadsheet.

Thanks, TheRandomer
Reply 1
Hi, I'm using solver to minimize a value of chi squared by changing parameters... and it's totally not working for me.
Afaik I'm doing everything correctly, and solver comes up with a value.. only it's absolutely identical to before I used the add in. And I can make chi squared huuuge (so I know there are smaller values) and it still doesn't do anything.
It's for my lab report, I'd really really appreciate it if you guys could help me!!!

Thanks, TheRandomer
Reply 2

Thanks, TheRandomer
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
bummmmp
I don't know sorry, i'm only in first year at durham so haven't had to use the formula yet... but go here and ask http://www.physicsforums.com/, there are some pretty clever people there so I'm sure you'll get an answer!
TheRandomer

Thanks, TheRandomer

See attached.

I think that your problem lies with the range of cells that you've specified for Solver to change. You've included both columns A and H, but the values in H depend upon the values in A, which may well be what's causing the problem.

If you remove column H from this range then run Solver, it finds a Chi squared value of 8.5847E-13 - hopefully this is more like what you wanted. :smile:
Reply 8
Illusionary
See attached.

I think that your problem lies with the range of cells that you've specified for Solver to change. You've included both columns A and H, but the values in H depend upon the values in A, which may well be what's causing the problem.

If you remove column H from this range then run Solver, it finds a Chi squared value of 8.5847E-13 - hopefully this is more like what you wanted. :smile:

Thanks for helping :smile:
I'm trying to get a more accurate estimate on the correct gradient though, so the intercept and gradient need to be my parameters.. Even if I change the H column values so as not to depend on A column values, it still doesn't work. Eek! This is insane!
Silly vista.

Latest