The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

RWDickie
Yeh exactly the same thing has happened to me! I'm in Lee House too. I just need to figure out how exactly I'm going to be able to afford to live there :frown:

Did you accept? I got offered Lee House for £150 a week and why go there when Unite have chalmers street for £130. Add £20 a week for food and its the same except you get the shared flat experience, bigger and better rooms for the same. People said Unite were rubbish but I thought they were great. Expensive but Pollock halls are more of a rip off.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1041
gregs_pcs
Did you accept? I got offered Lee House for £150 a week and why go there when Unite have chalmers street for £130. Add £20 a week for food and its the same except you get the shared flat experience, bigger and better rooms for the same. People said Unite were rubbish but I thought they were great. Expensive but Pollock halls are more of a rip off.

No I only got the offer today so I'm still thinking about it, just been looking at Unite as an option which does look pretty good for a start decent sized beds and a shared flat is likely to be more fun, plus its more central in the city. Not sure what to do at the moment.
What course are you doing?
Reply 1043
Doing Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, what about you?
Economics. I've still not made my own mind up about accommodation but I don't want catered because its so expensive for so little.
claire291091
got my offer!
3 Hermit's Croft
Flat 5, Room 2

:smile:

Room 1, I think I'm your neighbour :smile: What are you studying ? xxx
Reply 1046
maccers91
Room 1, I think I'm your neighbour :smile: What are you studying ? xxx

Hi! I'm in 3 Hermits Croft, Flat 6! Same stair, I guess. :smile:
Lee house :]
lizfairy
what essentials should we bring to self catering accommodation? Moving into Robertsons close soon.

After living at Robertson's Close last year, I'd say I'm sort of qualified to answer. I have to admit that I haven't actually read the other responses because, out of interest, I just googled Robertson's Close to see if anyone had said they were moving into my old flat. Mainly because I wanted to tell them about how squeaky the bed is. Anyway, I'm starting to go on a tangent. What you need are some bullet points.

THEY PROVIDE:

Microwave

Desk Lamp (I bought one before I went and it ended up sitting on my desk, bulbless, for the duration of my stay)

Wifi

An RA team who are really enthusiastic for the first month or two then relax for the rest of the year.

About the wifi: The signal can be pretty rubbish depending on your flat. I think they only implemented the system last year (09-10), but, if memory serves, if you're in flat 1, 4, 7, 10, or 13 it should be pretty good because that's where the routers are physically located. I should mention that that's based solely on block 9. I have to admit to knowing pretty much nothing about the other buildings. I think I was in block 11 once, if that's the one with the ridiculous staircase. I can guarantee that at one point during the year someone will be insane enough to try to climb down that thing from the inside. Most likely during freshers'. This paragraph is officially no longer about wifi.

About the RAs: To be honest, you'll probably get your keys from them when you move in then barely see them for the rest of the year unless you want to. They do change from year to year though, so this paragraph is fairly useless. But they did pick nice people for my year, so I'd assume your year will get similarly nice types.

THEY DON'T PROVIDE:

Bedding

Toaster (as far as I remember)

That's actually all I could think of. Flat-wise, most of it's common sense.

Anyway, I know I would've appreciated a ramble about the accommodation before I moved in, so I'll continue.

Some of the flats are mixed sex, it actually creates quite a nicely balanced living environment. If you have a problem with it, there will usually be someone during freshers' who already hates their flatmates and wants to swap. Accommodation Services wants everyone to be happy, so swapping is rarely a problem (at least from what I've heard, I've known a few people who swapped).

A word about the fire alarms. When the fire alarm goes off, it's for all four blocks. You can tell if the alarm's in your block by looking at the big grey box in the stairwell next to the main door as you leave the building on your way out into a freezing cold Edinburgh winter night with a large crowd of equally displeased students. Robertson's is very much a 24-hour place, and the fire alarm will go off at stupid times in the morning. But they seem to be quite selective about what they go off for. For example, if you come in drunk at 3AM and decide it would be funny (this wasn't me, for the record, it was someone downstairs) to set off your flat's fire extinguisher, the fire alarm will go off because of the concentration of particles created by the cloud of dust that comes out of it. However, you can get away with smoking in any room of the flat as long as you leave the window open. Probably something to do with Robertson's having been listed as having smoking flats up until and including the time I applied. But none of the flats are officially smoking flats. Last thing on the subject, they're less irritating if you're a bit drunk. And always bring a jacket. Anyway, that's enough about fire alarms.

Time for bar talk, I think. Robertson's is above Rush. Block 9 specifically, if you're in flat 5, 8, 11, and maybe 2 and 14, your bedroom window will be above Rush's entrance. To be frank, Rush is an unbelievably terrible bar, and really loud. Within a month you'll get used to it, but the never-ending karaoke covers of 'Your sex is on fire' do begin to grate after a while. 'Don't stop believin'' never gets old though. It's open until 1AM, too. Enjoy. The sole upside of having Rush so close is cheap drinks. Monday-Thursday inclusive, (House)Vodka & Mixer is £1. Don't worry about forgetting, you'll have a constant stream of flyers coming through the door during freshers'. To give you an idea of how bad a bar it is, I lived there for, what, 8 and a bit months? I drink very heavily, and I went there a total of 4 times. They were looking for staff during our first month there though, one of my flatmates actually got hired. So if you're looking for a job give it a shot. That's probably enough about how much I hate Rush. Time for some recommendations. If you cross the street where Robertson's meets Cowgate, turn left, and walk for about 5 seconds you'll hit Bannerman's. Bannerman's isn't fantastic, but it's a definite step up from Rush. The main problem is that most drinks cost the same as a real bar, but if you go for the specials a bottle of Red Stripe or Amstel is something like £2. My only gripe with Bannerman's is that it can get too busy for its size, it's quite a small bar. And pub crawls tend to stop in there, but for some reason it's near the end of the list so they're usually just drunk enough to try to start a fight with the bar staff. The staff are pretty excellent though, credit where it's due. I hate to say it, but, my favourite bar on Cowgate is Opium. It's sort of difficult to describe, but, it's essentially a rock bar. The clientèle are generally into rock/metal, or used to be. But I haven't gotten to the main reason for my frequent visits, (House)Vodka & Mixer/(House)Whiskey & Mixer are £1 Monday-Thursday inclusive (I realise that's the same as Rush, but seriously, Rush is awful). The main thing is, Opium is extremely non-threatening. A strange bar to describe, but I really recommend you try it at least once. That said, Opium is only really the best of it's class of 'sort-of-bars', because they don't charge the usual price and the music is a little too loud to hear your friend speaking over. For real bars, I recommend both The Brass Monkey, and The Jazz Bar. The Brass Monkey's on Drummond St., and The Jazz Bar's near the corner of Chambers St. and South Bridge. The Brass Monkey's a pretty laid back place, they have a room for screening films that's essentially an unusually large bed and a projector. Quick warning about the bathrooms, ensure that the cubicle you're about to enter is actually vacant. Some people don't know how to lock them. The Jazz Bar is actually the classiest bar I've ever been to. At night it's usually £5 to get in, but if you like jazz it's worth it. Drinks are the same as any other average bar, £3 a pop, I recommend a Jameson & Ginger Ale. They do have some rather experimental performances, but late night is awesome. You get a proper glass with a cocktail straw, which is a lot more than most places provide.

Just noticed that my paragraph on bars was considerably longer than any of the other information. Sorry about that. To be honest though, the information will be of use to someone. Anyway, back onto Robertson's.

International student paragraph! Most of the flats end up with an international student or two. Any that I've met have been American, and only stayed for a semester. If they live in your block and you're not certain it will work out well, don't date them. Other than that they're generally sound though.

There should be at least one person who wants to know about the car park, so here goes. I'd assume it fits about 15 or so cars? I can't really remember. The spaces are certainly tight enough though. A permit for the year is £120 if I remember correctly, I had to get mine from an office over at Pollock Halls. For anyone not planning on parking there too often, you will definitively not get a parking ticket. I've seen varying degrees of warnings across a few UoE flat complexes, and the usual is a handwritten note asking you to move your car under your wiperblade, with the worst I've seen being an official looking sticker on your door asking you to move your car. I think the only way they could effectively enforce a fine system is if they clamped you, and they don't clamp. I mentioned that the spaces were tight, I drive a 306, and it barely fits into them. Any time I've gotten in or out of the car at Robertson's was on a par with contortionists.

This is getting a bit long now, so I'll wrap up with some tips:

Don't start a flat kitty, just take turns buying loo roll. A kitty works well at first, but soon enough people will either forget or be too broke to chip in.

Be considerate with your noise. Most people will, at first, go out of their way to be polite about it. After a while your radio will drive them insane. Just remember that the walls are paper-thin.

THE BEDS SQUEAK LOUDLY. BE AWARE. I can, from some good old fashioned Robertson's Close experience, speak on this topic. In my humblest of opinions, the groans and such of sex aren't really that weird or unnerving to hear through the walls. You get used to them, to be honest. The rhythmic squeaking of a bed, which gets distorted into some weird scratching noise through the walls, however, is. One word will help you avoid awkward conversations with your flatmates: padding. I used cardboard, you can use whatever you want. Just don't fill the flat with "rihhhkuh rihhhkuh rihhhkuh". Can't even spell it, but you'll know it when you hear it.

Anyway, enjoy Robertson's.

p.s. My old flat was Block 9 Flat 8, if anyone gets that send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss why one of the kitchen's cupboards is a bit broken but not enough so to warrant a deduction from the deposit.

p.p.s. This is a terrible response to the quoted post, but someone will find it useful.
ceogorman
X

Can you please tell me where is Flat 3 Block 9 located then? :biggrin: if it's not above Rush...

also, is it really that noisy? like... if it's only till 1am I don't really mind, but I'd like to sleep after 1am when I gotta wake up for school...

and thank you for your extremely long post, at least I found it very useful :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 1050
Wow that's brilliant .. Very very long post on RC but still, I'm sure I'll find a use for it later :P

I'm in 13 RC Flat 8...

The fire alarms seem to be the worse thing I've heard about the place though O_O
Reply 1051
OscarSelemba
I am also staying in Grantanamo Bay! Room 7 on the ground floor.

I'm presuming the first number of the room offer relates to the floor you're on, so that'll be the second for me.

Disastron
yay I'm in grant house :P I went to check out the building last week, not as bad as i read but never went inside cause they were being used for holiday accommodation i think.

I thought the inside was the bad bit...
Mbrew
haha I actually noticed that and from what i heard i think we still vacate, but we can talk to the pollocks hall administration thing if we don't want too..honestly its too complicated for the moment hahaha..ill probably sort it once im settled in edinburgh :smile:

I don't understand how that works :s-smilie:
They give very specific dates and stuff and then meh...

However, as you said, there's a lot of time so its all good :biggrin:
ceogorman
x

Jesus that was one of the longest posts I've ever seen - longer than the kind of things I come out with... you should stick around :smile:

------------------

For the people who are concerned about the cost of accommodation they've been offered:

Remember that you do NOT have to accept this, although yes, it might be the easiest option.

Several people are already mentioning Unite although they are also rather expensive, but perhaps a better deal than Pollock given many Pollock houses are aged to say the least.

Your other option is joining together and finding private accommodation. Private flats are around £300-350 per person per month excluding bills, which are normally about £20 a month each... so therefore this offers you a better deal for money than in Pollock. This is fairly easy to do if you've got a few days free to come to Edinburgh to find something as there is ALWAYS accommodation for students available, this isn't the kind of city where its all confirmed in December for the following academic year. On the 2nd post of this thread we've put together some information about finding private accommodation and the current/ex students will be happy to help you out. We helped a number of people last year who chose to go private rather than living in a twin room.

Don't think Pollock is your only option in Edinburgh, it isn't, its one of many :smile:
guardian123
I don't understand how that works :s-smilie:
They give very specific dates and stuff and then meh...

However, as you said, there's a lot of time so its all good :biggrin:

Where are you staying? If you're in Pollock you have to request to stay in your room over Easter and there will be an extra charge for it. This is organised in semester two at some point. If you're in a s/c flat then you will have access to your room over Easter for no extra charge as your contract is until June.
oxymoronic
Where are you staying? If you're in Pollock you have to request to stay in your room over Easter and there will be an extra charge for it. This is organised in semester two at some point. If you're in a s/c flat then you will have access to your room over Easter for no extra charge as your contract is until June.

I'm in John Burnett Pollock halls of Residence.
But my accommodation contract states:

Period of Occupation
Please note that, once accepted, the Contract with the Landlords is legally binding and the Tenant will be held liable for the
full period of this Contract.

Letting Periods

From To
Saturday 11 September 2010 Saturday 18 December 2010
Saturday 18 December 2010 Saturday 08 January 2011
Saturday 08 January 2011 Saturday 26 March 2011
Saturday 26 March 2011 Saturday 16 April 2011
Saturday 16 April 2011 Sunday 29 May 2011

Copied and Pasted from the accommodation Contract :smile:
guardian123

Saturday 26 March 2011 Saturday 16 April 2011

Hmm, normally on Pollock contracts this section should say that you've got to move out during this period as this is the Easter revision period. Semester two finishes on 25th March then exams start on 17th April.

If they ask you for extra money show this contract to them and say you signed with the knowledge that you'd have the room throughout that period, as the fee they ask for those 3 weeks is several hundred pounds.
Reply 1057
Help?
Sciennes 2 Flat 4 Room ! :smile: close haha

Sciennes 2, flat 4, room 2 :smile:
oxymoronic
Hmm, normally on Pollock contracts this section should say that you've got to move out during this period as this is the Easter revision period. Semester two finishes on 25th March then exams start on 17th April.

If they ask you for extra money show this contract to them and say you signed with the knowledge that you'd have the room throughout that period, as the fee they ask for those 3 weeks is several hundred pounds.

Its quite clear right?
Because, it says nothing about easter/moving out etc etc.

If its true, and it should be know?, I at least don't have to book an international ticket/ rent space. Its great :biggrin:

Several Hundred?? :eek:
live&dream
Hey, I'm in Fraser Court too :biggrin:

What flat?

Me too :smile:
in FC 524

Latest

Trending

Trending