The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

oxymoronic
They're really expensive - £375 each a month for a Marchmont flat... I think not, particularly when flats in Marchmont generally have at least one small single room.

I've been meaning to ask you - you don't know anyone currently living in a nice 2 bed flat who's leaving in the summer do you? Preferably a lovely flat for cheaps within about 300m of Summerhall? *looks hopeful*
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
They're really expensive - £375 each a month for a Marchmont flat... I think not, particularly when flats in Marchmont generally have at least one small single room.

People seem to be buying them though, there's less available now than when I last looked... still cheaper than "Marchmont Flats" who seem to be popular and recommended by EUSA, but their prices start at £95 pppw :s-smilie:
maltiness
People seem to be buying them though, there's less available now than when I last looked... still cheaper than "Marchmont Flats" who seem to be popular and recommended by EUSA, but their prices start at £95 pppw :s-smilie:

Remember that there are people out there who don't mind paying to stay in Chancellor's Court. That makes "Marchmont Flats" a snip!
maltiness

Thats because some people at the University of Edinburgh have far far money than they have sense.... just thought, how many bedrooms are you looking for? I may know of a flat in Marchmont... :smile:
oxymoronic
Thats because some people at the University of Edinburgh have far far money than they have sense.... just thought, how many bedrooms are you looking for? I may know of a flat in Marchmont... :smile:

Thanks for the offer, but we've pretty much decided to go for Newington rather than Marchmont, as it seems a bit cheaper and has more facilities and transport links while being just as close to George Square. There aren't quite so many flats knocking about though as there are in Marchmont.
BexySweets
Hey, was just wondering if anyones applied for accomodation?
I just did but I'v put that i am willing to be in a mixed gender flat.
Now I'm unsure if i've made the wrong decision.
Anyone else applied for accomodation?

I have, I put mixed gender, non smoking,
1st choice robertsons place
2nd nicholson street
3rd wynder

How about you?
maltiness
Thanks for the offer, but we've pretty much decided to go for Newington rather than Marchmont, as it seems a bit cheaper and has more facilities and transport links while being just as close to George Square. There aren't quite so many flats knocking about though as there are in Marchmont.

Yeah Newington area is better... I've prefered being on this side of the Meadows rather than Marchmont side. Its still fairly early for flats atm though, give it a few months and more will be available.
Edinburgh are doing mix gendered flats???

Wow they're moving forward with the times... they might get working washing machines soon!
lizfairy
I have, I put mixed gender, non smoking,
1st choice robertsons place
2nd nicholson street
3rd wynder

How about you?

Kincaids court
Warrender park crescent
Fraser Court
Non smoking mixed gender...but i got told by someone who is in self catering that even though you can choose mixed gender, it's all basically single sex flats
oxymoronic

Even back in my year they asked whether you wanted mix-gender flats. Doesn't mean it's doing them.
artorscience?
Even back in my year they asked whether you wanted mix-gender flats. Doesn't mean it's doing them.

They do exist this year, but only in the bigger flats (6 or more). So it is a bit daft that they ask you the question wherever you apply to when some blocks don't have them...
maltiness
They do exist this year, but only in the bigger flats (6 or more). So it is a bit daft that they ask you the question wherever you apply to when some blocks don't have them...

But it makes sense to ask. Given they don't promise to put you where you ask, your answer to the question could be taken into consideration. If you say you're not prepared to live in a mixed sex flat then they won't put you in one.
nearlyheadlessian
But it makes sense to ask. Given they don't promise to put you where you ask, your answer to the question could be taken into consideration. If you say you're not prepared to live in a mixed sex flat then they won't put you in one.

That's a good point I suppose, considering not everyone gets one of their preferences (though I think this thread has exaggerated how much that happens a bit, everyone I know got either their first or second choice). Robertson's Close, Kincaid's Court and Warrender Park Crescent all have some mixed flats this year, there may be others too.
Reply 173
maltiness
That's a good point I suppose, considering not everyone gets one of their preferences (though I think this thread has exaggerated how much that happens a bit, everyone I know got either their first or second choice). Robertson's Close, Kincaid's Court and Warrender Park Crescent all have some mixed flats this year, there may be others too.

Really? No-one I know got any of their choices, even people in Pollock. I applied for Hermit's Croft, Blackfriars and Darroch and ended up in South Clerk Street (whcih i wouldn't particularly recommend if anyone's interested - it's got ancient fittings and smells really weird on the first floor and I saw a mouse in the kitchen once). What I find stupid is that my friend, who applied for John Burnett, Chancellor's and Holland at Pollock ended up in Ewing in one of the cheapest rooms when she'd applied for the much more expensive John Burnett, and then there are people in JB this year who didn't even ask to be put there but got given a "take it or find your own accom" dilemma!
are you more likely to get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice if applying for self catering?
Reply 175
oxymoronic

Wow they're moving forward with the times... they might get working washing machines soon!

My washing machines (and dryers) work :smile:
lizfairy
are you more likely to get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice if applying for self catering?

That used to be the official line. And if they've cut down the number of offers given to the university in general this year there should be a higher chance all around.
Hi,
i'm looking at accommodation at Edinburgh, but not sure which at the moment - only singled out Darroch Court so far...

Does Edinburgh not have any ensuite rooms? :s-smilie: Is there a map of Edinburgh with all the different self catered residences on? Want to apply to one fairly near the centre...

Thanks in-advance
Reply 178
edmhaslam
Hi,
i'm looking at accommodation at Edinburgh, but not sure which at the moment - only singled out Darroch Court so far...

Does Edinburgh not have any ensuite rooms? :s-smilie: Is there a map of Edinburgh with all the different self catered residences on? Want to apply to one fairly near the centre...

Thanks in-advance

They have en-suites in Pollock, but not in self-catered. Except for Blackfriars, I think.
If you just search on google maps for all of the self-catered accommodation places, you'll get a good idea of where they all are, although honestly, they're all about an equal distance to the centre.
edmhaslam
Hi,Does Edinburgh not have any ensuite rooms? :s-smilie: Is there a map of Edinburgh with all the different self catered residences on? Want to apply to one fairly near the centre...

The OP has all the information you need - take a look at it. In terms of ensuite, static is correct, the only self-catered accommodation with ensuite is Blackfriars Street, which isn't officially available this year. Given it's a bit pricey probably better to steer clear.

Latest

Trending

Trending