The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
did my ee in computer science... takled about MP3 data compression algorithms... prolly failed it anyway! hehe
Reply 61
mine, in physics was: the design, construction and calibration of an apparatus for measuring lipid concentration in milk [sic.] :eek:
Reply 62
Chemistry HL - Kinetics of enzymatic reactions. I investigated action of pharmaceutical and natural amylase. :cool:
Reply 63
My extended essay was in economics, as it was round about the time of the congetsion charge in london i wrote about that and analysed it, i know its a boring topic, but i had to do one!!!!!!!

Thats the problem, couldnt find anything else...but it was okay i guess
Reply 64
mine was "Impact of the social context on Holden Caufield and Huckleberry Finn"
I'm just starting 1st year IB, and I'm in the second group/year of students at my school doing IB (they just got it) and so nobody has given us even close to the info we need since they don't know what we need or how to tell us. Therefore I ask you: what are the rules for EE topics? I've so far gathered that it has to do with a specific class. I like english, history and music best, but is music allowed?
Reply 66
Hi!
I'm Carlos. I'm in my 1st year of IB. I think that I will domy EEt in Bio or in Chem because I want to study genetics. But I think that its unware that the IBO have never considered that the EE in sciences or in Maths are thougher to get an A rather than laguages EE or humanities EE. With this I'm no saying that the people who works their EE in those subjects don't make effort, But the IB should take into consideration that the efford to do an EE should be the same in all sibjects of the IB.

PD: do you know that is possible to do your extended essay in CAS or in TOK. Crazy ,isn't it ?
Reply 67
Sister Carlotta
I like english, history and music best, but is music allowed?
It can be in any IB subject, even one you are not studying. Basically you can write on anything you are interested in, as the IB subjects can over almost all areas (some people decide on subject then topic, while others do it the other way around).
Reply 68
brij
did my ee in computer science... takled about MP3 data compression algorithms... prolly failed it anyway! hehe

Physics - Investigating the electromagnetic levitation of an aluminium ring.
ASNaC
Basically you can write on anything you are interested in, as the IB subjects can over almost all areas.

Okay, how about biblical/historical figures. How would they fit in?
Reply 70
It's best if you choose a topic that the examiner 100% won't have a clue about. I did mine comparing Chinese and Japanese textbooks and I knew the chances of an examiner knowing both languages were slim. I got an A :smile:

On the other hand..

My very smart friend did her's on the Watergate scandal. The chances of an examiner knowing her subject were high. She got a C.

Btw, can I mention everyone's topics on the IB Website?
Reply 71
I'm doing mine on the extent to which the British parliamentary reform act of 1832 deserves its popular title 'the great reform act.' It does indeed sound extremely boring (and, unless you know the topic somewhat, utterly pointless!), but I find it very interesting.
Reply 72
Anyone have any advice on the extended essay? It can be on absolutely anything. I've done quite a lot.
Reply 73
vavavoom
It's best if you choose a topic that the examiner 100% won't have a clue about. I did mine comparing Chinese and Japanese textbooks and I knew the chances of an examiner knowing both languages were slim. I got an A :smile:

On the other hand..

My very smart friend did her's on the Watergate scandal. The chances of an examiner knowing her subject were high. She got a C.

Btw, can I mention everyone's topics on the IB Website?

I completely agree. I did mine on the scale of the adventus Saxonum in England - a topic no examiner is going to know well - and ended up losing only one mark. However, in my year other people who also got 7s in history in the end, did history EEs but got Bs, partly at least because their topics weren't obscure enough.

My advice in history, and this very much is restricted to history, is that your bibliography is etremely important (especially if you are doing a popular topic, as you need to prove that you know more than the other candidates writing on it). Many examiners look at your bibliography first, and if you have one with say 30 or more texts it is bound to have a good first impression.

Beyond that I would say that consistency is of the utmost importance. It is easy for minor contradictions to appear when you are writing a long essay over and extended period of time. It is important to minimise these, and examiners will look for them, along with general logical weaknesses (most importantly never rely on an even vaguely circular argument).

Finally one thing which often impresses examiners but it not a prerequisite to do well, is dealiing with primary sources, particularly in their original language. I dealt with my mediaeval Latin texts in the original, and I know of others who have dealt with Chinese texts in the original, and this almost always impresses an examiner. If you don't have any languages that allow you to do this don't worry, but if you can do so it looks good.
Reply 74
ASNaC
I completely agree. I did mine on the scale of the adventus Saxonum in England - a topic no examiner is going to know well - and ended up losing only one mark. However, in my year other people who also got 7s in history in the end, did history EEs but got Bs, partly at least because their topics weren't obscure enough.

My advice in history, and this very much is restricted to history, is that your bibliography is etremely important (especially if you are doing a popular topic, as you need to prove that you know more than the other candidates writing on it). Many examiners look at your bibliography first, and if you have one with say 30 or more texts it is bound to have a good first impression.

Beyond that I would say that consistency is of the utmost importance. It is easy for minor contradictions to appear when you are writing a long essay over and extended period of time. It is important to minimise these, and examiners will look for them, along with general logical weaknesses (most importantly never rely on an even vaguely circular argument).

Finally one thing which often impresses examiners but it not a prerequisite to do well, is dealiing with primary sources, particularly in their original language. I dealt with my mediaeval Latin texts in the original, and I know of others who have dealt with Chinese texts in the original, and this almost always impresses an examiner. If you don't have any languages that allow you to do this don't worry, but if you can do so it looks good.

Hey great info!! Do you mind if I quote you?
Reply 75
"The design, construction and calibration of an apparatus for measuring lipid concentration in milk."

Subject: Physics
grade: A
Reply 76
vavavoom
Hey great info!! Do you mind if I quote you?

Sure, feel free - I'm always happy to help.
Reply 77
“The Pen’s view of the Sword”: An examination of Seamus Heaney’s response “The Troubles” in Northern Ireland in Wintering Out and North?” for English A1

Grade:A

Of course you can use the title for your site vavavoom. You can even have a copy of the essay if you really want! :P
Ok...................

I am planning to do mine in physics.....

I want to find the relationship between angle of attack and lift generated by an airfoil, and also find relationship between lifting area and lift.......

EE is running into a lot of logistical problems though :mad:
Reply 79
Mine was in geography: sphere of influence of two neighbour towns.. I was gathering data for two months and writing the essay for about a week and.. i got C :frown:(((

Latest

Trending

Trending