The Student Room Group

CRGS/KEGS admissions

Has anyone here joined King Edwards Grammar School or Colchester Royal Grammar School externally for sixth form / know anyone who has.

What gcses did you get?????? I really want to go to either and i don't no how good the results need to be to get in =S

+ any1 who knows anything about the interviews for crgs like what they expect of you because im really scared and don't know anything. >_<

THANKS

Scroll to see replies

i applied for kegs in 2008

i got 6 A*'s (5.5 technically cos RS was short course) and didn't get in, though i know people who got fewer A*'s who did

if you want to do chemistry then you will need for than 6 A*'s

i've heard of someone get in with 3 A*'s but they were doing subjects like politics and languages which aren't as oversubscribed as the sciences.

don't know much about CRG, but have heard its hard get in

that was 2008, things might be different for 2010
Reply 2
vki
Has anyone here joined King Edwards Grammar School or Colchester Royal Grammar School externally for sixth form / know anyone who has.

What gcses did you get?????? I really want to go to either and i don't no how good the results need to be to get in =S

+ any1 who knows anything about the interviews for crgs like what they expect of you because im really scared and don't know anything. >_<

THANKS

I know like 1000000000000 people there, and 20000000 who applied there externally, it's only about 500 metres down my road :P (CRGS)
When I was in year 11 this is what happened:

People in my years mock results, who got in:
a) All A*s-As (she got 11A*s in the end)
b) A*s, As, Bs and a C (Got 10A*s and highest in the country for AS engineering in the end)
c) All A*s-As (got 9A*s 2As in the end)
d) my ex-best friend; 2A*s, 5(?)As, 2(?)Bs, 2Ds (8A*s 3As in the end)

alot of other people i know got in
two girls got offers then pulled out, one had 4A*s then As and Bs, the other had 10A*s

The people who got rejected (like me :p: my interview was AWFUL), some got amazing grades, some got averagey grades, just didn't stand out i guess!

hope that helps a bit :smile: xxx
Reply 3
vki
OP
SiaSiaSia
I know like 1000000000000 people there, and 20000000 who applied there externally, it's only about 500 metres down my road :P (CRGS)
When I was in year 11 this is what happened:

People in my years mock results, who got in:
a) All A*s-As (she got 11A*s in the end)
b) A*s, As, Bs and a C (Got 10A*s and highest in the country for AS engineering in the end)
c) All A*s-As (got 9A*s 2As in the end)
d) my ex-best friend; 2A*s, 5(?)As, 2(?)Bs, 2Ds (8A*s 3As in the end)

alot of other people i know got in
two girls got offers then pulled out, one had 4A*s then As and Bs, the other had 10A*s

The people who got rejected (like me :p: my interview was AWFUL), some got amazing grades, some got averagey grades, just didn't stand out i guess!

hope that helps a bit :smile: xxx

Thanks!!! ^_^

What kind of stuff did they ask you in the interview tho? do you have to prepare for it? 0__0
Reply 4
vki
Thanks!!! ^_^

What kind of stuff did they ask you in the interview tho? do you have to prepare for it? 0__0

my sister has an interview on tuesday!
what are you applying for subjectswise?
Reply 5
vki
OP
SiaSiaSia
my sister has an interview on tuesday!
what are you applying for subjectswise?

Hope your sister does well ^_^

im applying for computing, maths, physics and history.

i heard chemistry and biology are the hardest to get into so i could be alright =s
Im a new guy at CRGS and got average results: 4A*s 4As 4Bs 1C (A good spread :P).
I was helping on Thursday to tour students around the school inbetween their interviews with the Headmaster and Head of Sixth Form.
My interview (last year) was mainly focused around personality and interests with the Headmaster (to see if I would fit in with the lifestyle of the school) whilst the Head of Sixth Form is more focused around academics and your personal statement.
It's really nothing to worry about and is very relaxed.
If you want to send me a PM I will be happy to help/show you around the school on the day of your interview.

Hope this helped.
jamesnewton92
Im a new guy at CRGS and got average results: 4A*s 4As 4Bs 1C (A good spread :P).
I was helping on Thursday to tour students around the school inbetween their interviews with the Headmaster and Head of Sixth Form.
My interview (last year) was mainly focused around personality and interests with the Headmaster (to see if I would fit in with the lifestyle of the school) whilst the Head of Sixth Form is more focused around academics and your personal statement.
It's really nothing to worry about and is very relaxed.
If you want to send me a PM I will be happy to help/show you around the school on the day of your interview.

Hope this helped.

Hey, I know this is an old thread now, but just wanted to ask you something. I got an interview at CRGS but after that got put on the waiting list. Do you think I have a chance of getting in? On the bottom of my letter they told me to call them when I get my GCSE results, and I'm predicted all As and A*s, so do you think if I got those grades I could get in? I really, really want to. It's such a lovely school with such lovely people :smile: What subjects do you do btw? :smile:
Reply 8
LittleMissCurious
Hey, I know this is an old thread now, but just wanted to ask you something. I got an interview at CRGS but after that got put on the waiting list. Do you think I have a chance of getting in? On the bottom of my letter they told me to call them when I get my GCSE results, and I'm predicted all As and A*s, so do you think if I got those grades I could get in? I really, really want to. It's such a lovely school with such lovely people :smile: What subjects do you do btw? :smile:

OHHH me too lol. But I have to arrange my interview with them and i am really nervous :woo: . And did you already have your interview? and my predictions grades are not really that high :frown: i mean they are A* and As but mostly all As lol.
Ulugbek
OHHH me too lol. But I have to arrange my interview with them and i am really nervous :woo: . And did you already have your interview? and my predictions grades are not really that high :frown: i mean they are A* and As but mostly all As lol.

You're on the waiting list, and you've got an interview? I don't understand :s-smilie: Are you from over-seas?
vki

THANKS

I didn't apply myself but some of the girls from my school moved to KEGS; their grades ranged from 5 A*'s - 12A*'s. I think it probably depends on the year group though - the standard of the internal and external students will vary each year.
Reply 11
LittleMissCurious
You're on the waiting list, and you've got an interview? I don't understand :s-smilie: Are you from over-seas?

Ermm... No lol i live in London. What do you mean i am on a waiting list? I had my interview arranged for today. I am going crazy lol going to be so nervous.
Ulugbek
Ermm... No lol i live in London. What do you mean i am on a waiting list? I had my interview arranged for today. I am going crazy lol going to be so nervous.

Are you talking about CRGS? Cos all the interviews for CRGS were done ages ago, and places have already been given out :confused:
Reply 13
LittleMissCurious
Are you talking about CRGS? Cos all the interviews for CRGS were done ages ago, and places have already been given out :confused:

Yess Colchester Royal Grammar School i just had my interview today.
Ulugbek
Yess Colchester Royal Grammar School i just had my interview today.

So you're applying to the sixth form 2010? Cos mine and everyone else's interviews were like in January, and then places were given out in April, and currently they have no spaces? :confused: Maybe it's something to do with the fact that you live outside of Colchester?
Reply 15
LittleMissCurious
So you're applying to the sixth form 2010? Cos mine and everyone else's interviews were like in January, and then places were given out in April, and currently they have no spaces? :confused: Maybe it's something to do with the fact that you live outside of Colchester?

Yer i have applied for sixth form at CRGS for september 2010 lol. And i dont live in colchester i am applying for boarding place. Maybe it has also to do with my brother going there i dnt know lol.
Ulugbek
Yer i have applied for sixth form at CRGS for september 2010 lol. And i dont live in colchester i am applying for boarding place. Maybe it has also to do with my brother going there i dnt know lol.

Yes, I thought it must be something to do with the fact that you live outside of Colchester. So how did it go?
Reply 17
LittleMissCurious
Yes, I thought it must be something to do with the fact that you live outside of Colchester. So how did it go?

I went okay o guess, it was an interview with 3 people and then i had a tour around the school, wbu?
Ulugbek
I went okay o guess, it was an interview with 3 people and then i had a tour around the school, wbu?

Yeah, I had an interview with the Head of Sixth Form and the Headmaster, and a tour inbetween the interviews. It went well :smile: I've got a place on the waiting list, I'll get in if I get good enough GCSE results (5 or more A*s). When do you find out if you've got a place?
Reply 19
LittleMissCurious
Yeah, I had an interview with the Head of Sixth Form and the Headmaster, and a tour inbetween the interviews. It went well :smile: I've got a place on the waiting list, I'll get in if I get good enough GCSE results (5 or more A*s). When do you find out if you've got a place?

yes me too! Lol i had an interview with headmaster for like 10mins and then Dr Jones and then had a tour too. Then 2 days after they sent me an email that i got a place, but they told me the minimum requirment was 3 As and 2 Bs? Lol

Quick Reply

Latest