The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ok, thats cool, coz buses run all night down that road dont they so its quite easy 2 get around.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 21
tigger1430
I stayed at DB last year, social life a lil crap..the one social event the halls organised was cancelled. I don't know if its the same for other halls but you have to sit through a three hour fire seminar in your first week that seriously cuts into your evening...starts around 7pm if you don't go you have to pay a fine and then still go to another one. I know it's safety but THREE HOURS AT THAT TIME?!

The rooms are nice, if your in a corner flat you could end up with a tiny room (i did) an average standard room or the absolutely massive room(with a huge bathroom)! Other flats all have standard rooms with standard bathrooms (can't rlly fit a bath mat in) You get loadsa storage, 2 massive under bed draws, chest of draws under your desk, bedside cabinet, wall shelves above your desk and a split wardrobe with shelving and hanging space. Beds are quite comfy too, curtains make you think its middle of the night even in the middle of the day...industrial strength lol.

The communal rooms are quite big, with a TV socket, full size fridge and freezer, but a rather manky cooker that you will NEVER get clean no matter how hard you try! And beware of the white goods have a habit of exploding....

The outside is rlly nice in the summer, lotsa grass, picnic benches, bbq's and a football/basketball court.

Security very tight, Have to go through 4 doors to get to your flat, and another one to your room, can be a pain when your moving in! But still very safe. Security guards stay next to the front gate 24/7. It's all swipecard and anti-copy key entry. (Costs a lot to replace if you lose them)

Flats are arrange either 4x males, 4x females, 2x male + 2x female, OR 3x female 1x male. You will NEVER have a 3x male 1x female flat. I was in a 3 female 1 male.

Daisy bank is around 35 mins walk away from Hollings campus, or about 10 mins walk to oxford road and a 5 min busride if your lazy. Its a 5 mins walk from Varsity bar which is cheap as long as you have your v-card. This is under Wilmslow park halls. Also under there is 2 shops including tesco, a blockbusters, a coffee shop, subways and a post office. There is another tesco petrol station just up dickinson road.

It is about 50 mins walk from the main campuses, or a busride again. Central halls are better for the all-saints campuses.

Hope that helps if you have any q's drop us a line

alright, ive never lived in a dorm or on my own for that matter, so please bare with me. i have been accepted to stay at daisy bank, but i still havent received any information about it...having to travel to canada and all may take a few more days to get
here. anyways here are my questions.
1. are the bathrooms in daisy bank in each bedroom, or are they shared by the entire room.
2.what (if any) kitchen supplies are in the rooms? will i need to bring pots/pans.
3.what are my chances of being in a room with all girls?

alright thanks for your time
1. you get YOUR OWN bathroom in YOUR OWN bedroom, so you can't blame any hair in the plug hole on anyone else but you! :smile: In your bathroom you get toilet, shower with curtain pole and curtain, sink, mirror, vanity light, towel rail (in some flats you got little shelves for toiletries but mine didn't dammit!)

2. In your kitchen you get: kettle, toaster, cooker, fridge, freezer, iron, ironing board, hoover, bin, dining table, 4 dining chairs, 4 "comfy" chairs, coffee table, bread bin. Be careful of all electrical appliances, a man does come around to PAT test them but that means nothing, as I said in a PM to "B2086" after pat testing, the iron burnt our clothes, the kettle leads are well dodgy we needed 4 replacements, the toaster blew up in my hands (nice!) and the cooker will NEVER get clean so don't dissillusion yourself! Other than that it's lovely lol, don't leave your hoover near the radiator either, they melt....slip up on my flat mates part hahah. QUIK ONE - Get a microwave, DB does not supply them unlike other Opal halls but you can get one for about £20 at Asda at Sports City (Man City FC). There are no utensils or pots and pans supplied you need to supply them yourself (same as bedding etc)

3. I was initially put in a flat with 3 other girls but then 2 moved out because they couldn't handle the concept of living with people different from them but oh well! You get that type sometimes. Then another girl and a guy moved in which left the flat as 3 girls and 1 guy but that was his choice. I don't think it is very common that one guy will be in with 3 girls but there is no rule against it and it can happen. The only rule is you can't have 3 guys and 1 girl. I think your chances are small and if you are that worried about it, ring them up at he accommodation office and state that you would prefer to be in an equal sex share or an all guy flat, they're really good :smile:

E.g my friend who stayed at DB last year is staying again this year but her boyf is moving to DB this year as well, so she rang the accommodation office and asked them to make sure they WERE NOT in the same flat coz she couldn't handle it and they agreed although were slightly confused lol.
Reply 23
Hey Drake, which course are you doing? what campus u at?
Reply 24
B2086
Hey Drake, which course are you doing? what campus u at?

im doing the physiotherapy course at elizabeth gaskell yourself?
Reply 25
I'm doing 3D Design at All Saints, i'm trying 2 find some other ppl who r staying at DB but studying at All Saints, found no1 yet!
Reply 26
B2086
I'm doing 3D Design at All Saints, i'm trying 2 find some other ppl who r staying at DB but studying at All Saints, found no1 yet!

wouldnt worry about it too much. im sure there will be plenty of ppl in your situation :smile:
Reply 27
yeh im hoping. really looking forward 2 going now. cant wait 2 meet new ppl. but then slightly nervous 2!
Reply 28
5 days till move in! woohoo