The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to the page where you select the level of your SPB, then click on the 'Walk-through' link. It's going to be your bible for IT. To get your A*, make sure you've hit every one of the points listed in the walk-through. I didn't realise I had to do that until near the end of the project, so I lost a couple of marks, but not too many. Try to do the same for every unit.
Not very relevant but i spent a two years doing the DiDa course which involed 4 units. I spent months and months on it and was really stressed out, only to find that most colleges dont even accept it. So my advice to you is dont spend drastic amount of time on any of the units
and the A* in DiDa wont get you very far :smile: x
Reply 4
Maxine_johson
Not very relevant but i spent a two years doing the DiDa course which involed 4 units. I spent months and months on it and was really stressed out, only to find that most colleges dont even accept it. So my advice to you is dont spend drastic amount of time on any of the units

No way? :eek: Don't tell me I've wasted two of my options for nothing...
Evanesyne
No way? :eek: Don't tell me I've wasted two of my options for nothing...

Well basically i applied to City and Islington college which is an average one nothing special and they didnt even accept it. Its seen as courswork and not a real exam
But then again overall it might look good on job cv's to have ict im just saying dont say i want an A* and spend so much time on it. When it aint worth it. Spend time on your other Gcse's that actually count
I did the first unit of DiDA (AiDA) in 2 years. I spent 18 months being taught wrongly by a variety of different teachers in a huge, badly-behaved class before figuring out that all I had to do was go on the website, find the checklist of things to do and make sure that I did them all. There is so little actual ICT in the unit that I only had to ask for help for a couple of things; mostly what is being assessed is your planning and organisation of a huge pointless project (which I obviously didn't do - what I did was cover two years worth of work in two months of lunchtimes and then write my "plan" and my "adapted plan" to make it look like I was really well organised over two years).

I don't mean to mock your qualification - it was important to me while I was doing it, and I understand that you want to do well in it, so good for you. To get a high grade, literally go through the spec and make sure absolutely everything that is on it is done - it is one of the easiest types of qualification in that they just give you all the answers and you just have to go away and put them in a large e-portfolio.

Some tips:
Have some secondary sources and make sure they are acknowledged - if they are copyrighted, email the company asking for permission to use the info/images, then take a screenshot of the (hopefully positive) email you get back (the DiDA peeps seriously love this) - if they are free images, make sure you state that they are free images
Don't worry too much about your planning - get the work done and make up the plan at the end if you have to
Keep the colour schemes in each unit consistent :smile:
Take some of your own photos
Obvious stuff like make sure spelling and grammar etc. are good, and that you have a good layout - no curly text, no tiny text, make sure that if you have a specific layout on your page it is the same whether your page is medium size or maximised
Check all links on any e-portfolios
The first time you do a piece of work, don't do it as well as you could - then you will be able to improve it and write about what you have improved and why

Hope this helps, good luck :ymca:
Reply 8
I got a grade A on Units 1&4, and am currently doing Unit 3. The colleges I'm applying to do actually accept it, so I think it varies. You could have a look in the prospectus/website and see if they accept it.
Hmm, well I guess it must be significant somewhere or no one would do it :s-smilie:
its all about SoAP :wink:
MathsHamster
There is so little actual ICT in the unit that I only had to ask for help for a couple of things; mostly what is being assessed is your planning and organisation of a huge pointless project (which I obviously didn't do - what I did was cover two years worth of work in two months of lunchtimes and then write my "plan" and my "adapted plan" to make it look like I was really well organised over two years).
:

Whoa, thanks! Yeah, I had a meeting type thing with my teacher last week as my project hadn't been marked yet :eek3:. It's obvious that you can't keep to the 30 hour time limit, so my plan isn't exactly what I did. He mentioned the "adapted plan", what exactly do you have to do for it and where can you gain marks from plan related stuffs?
Out of curiosity...what grade did you get? :smile:
When i went to my college they said that it wasnt a real gcse
procrastination...
Whoa, thanks! Yeah, I had a meeting type thing with my teacher last week as my project hadn't been marked yet :eek3:. It's obvious that you can't keep to the 30 hour time limit, so my plan isn't exactly what I did. He mentioned the "adapted plan", what exactly do you have to do for it and where can you gain marks from plan related stuffs?
Out of curiosity...what grade did you get? :smile:

I got distinction :wink:

Basically you make your original plan eg:

5th September: Research project
7th September: Research stuff about project
15th September: Construct basic e-portfolio
19th September: Decide on and implement layout for e-portfolio

And so on (but with slightly more detail)...

Then next to it you can make another column (or use annotations, or make another spreadsheet or document, or however you want to lay it out) saying stuff like:

7th September: Goals met
15th September: Took longer than expected to make e-portfolio - plan adapted. Then show how you adapted your plan.

This shows how you can adapt to unforseen circumstances and still complete the project effectively. (They also like it if every month or so you plan for one hour's homework as "contingency time" where you can catch up on any outstanding work)

My plan was based on the truth of my original plan but obviously I didn't stick to it, so I just made up my "adapted plan".
MathsHamster
I got distinction :wink:

Basically you make your original plan eg:

5th September: Research project
7th September: Research stuff about project
15th September: Construct basic e-portfolio
19th September: Decide on and implement layout for e-portfolio

And so on (but with slightly more detail)...

Then next to it you can make another column (or use annotations, or make another spreadsheet or document, or however you want to lay it out) saying stuff like:

7th September: Goals met
15th September: Took longer than expected to make e-portfolio - plan adapted. Then show how you adapted your plan.

This shows how you can adapt to unforseen circumstances and still complete the project effectively. (They also like it if every month or so you plan for one hour's homework as "contingency time" where you can catch up on any outstanding work)

My plan was based on the truth of my original plan but obviously I didn't stick to it, so I just made up my "adapted plan".

So did you make sure it fitted into the 30 hour time limit, or is the whole "adapted plan" to show that you didn't work to it?
procrastination...
So did you make sure it fitted into the 30 hour time limit, or is the whole "adapted plan" to show that you didn't work to it?

There was no time limit for us. I guess you just make it a 25 hour plan then end up using the extra five hours in your adapted plan.
Reply 17
MathsHamster
I did the first unit of DiDA (AiDA) in 2 years. I spent 18 months being taught wrongly by a variety of different teachers in a huge, badly-behaved class before figuring out that all I had to do was go on the website, find the checklist of things to do and make sure that I did them all. There is so little actual ICT in the unit that I only had to ask for help for a couple of things; mostly what is being assessed is your planning and organisation of a huge pointless project (which I obviously didn't do - what I did was cover two years worth of work in two months of lunchtimes and then write my "plan" and my "adapted plan" to make it look like I was really well organised over two years).

I don't mean to mock your qualification - it was important to me while I was doing it, and I understand that you want to do well in it, so good for you. To get a high grade, literally go through the spec and make sure absolutely everything that is on it is done - it is one of the easiest types of qualification in that they just give you all the answers and you just have to go away and put them in a large e-portfolio.

Some tips:
Have some secondary sources and make sure they are acknowledged - if they are copyrighted, email the company asking for permission to use the info/images, then take a screenshot of the (hopefully positive) email you get back (the DiDA peeps seriously love this) - if they are free images, make sure you state that they are free images
Don't worry too much about your planning - get the work done and make up the plan at the end if you have to
Keep the colour schemes in each unit consistent :smile:
Take some of your own photos
Obvious stuff like make sure spelling and grammar etc. are good, and that you have a good layout - no curly text, no tiny text, make sure that if you have a specific layout on your page it is the same whether your page is medium size or maximised
Check all links on any e-portfolios
The first time you do a piece of work, don't do it as well as you could - then you will be able to improve it and write about what you have improved and why

Hope this helps, good luck :ymca:

Wow... precisely like my class. I managed to get thru 3 eportfolios, and one of my friends got thru 10. lucily around christmas of my year 11, my school hired a science technician who taught DiDA b4, as a pilot and as an actual project b4 he retired, and he took us (the guys who bothered to work and not mess around) thru the whole thing.

just make sure there is a theme if you can, not that important if not, but consider SOAP - Sense of Audience and Purpose - if your publications has this, and you have a detailed plan + project log - you're sorted. apparently - i got full marks :smile:

i mean overall - this unit 1 should take 30hrs me and my friends calculated that we've actually spent 250hrs + some wasted Quake 3 LAN games in class :P
Dark-Myth
Wow... precisely like my class. I managed to get thru 3 eportfolios, and one of my friends got thru 10. lucily around christmas of my year 11, my school hired a science technician who taught DiDA b4, as a pilot and as an actual project b4 he retired, and he took us (the guys who bothered to work and not mess around) thru the whole thing.

just make sure there is a theme if you can, not that important if not, but consider SOAP - Sense of Audience and Purpose - if your publications has this, and you have a detailed plan + project log - you're sorted. apparently - i got full marks :smile:

i mean overall - this unit 1 should take 30hrs me and my friends calculated that we've actually spent 250hrs + some wasted Quake 3 LAN games in class :P

Yeah, I'm doing unit 1, as we're only doing 2 gcse's then another unit once we've finally finished this one! D':
Reply 19
DiDA is fun to do. They're all fun, just put in the work and constantly update your plan and project log (writing it all at the end is an absolute pain!) also get ur teacher to mark it as well.

if you really want, i can upload a version of my submitted eportfolio for you to have a look at.
The unit i did was D201 - Dance O'Clock

Latest

Trending

Trending