The Student Room Group
Reply 1
claire890
Hey Guys,

I've just sent off my application for Secondary Chemistry to Cambridge and was just wondering how long it takes for them to get back to you? Has anyone had any experiences of PGCE interviews at Cambridge?

Thanks alot

Claire x

I sent off my application on the 14th Oct and I was invited for interview (via track) on the 19th (so two weekend days there, too!) but I'm not sure if applications have gotten any busier? I have my interview in 2 weeks time, so I'll let you know how it is! (I've applied for Secondary Biology).
Reply 2
thanks, woah! that was very quick! I can't imagine they are over-run with secondary chemistry applicants though? do you know how competitive secondary science is at cambridge? Thanks, I'd be really interested to know how it goes!
Reply 3
claire890
thanks, woah! that was very quick! I can't imagine they are over-run with secondary chemistry applicants though? do you know how competitive secondary science is at cambridge? Thanks, I'd be really interested to know how it goes!

I'm not really sure, to be honest - I know that their PGCE courses aren't as competitive as their undergrad courses but that's about it - Science has gotten more popular in the last couple of years, though (yet they are still crying out for Phys, Chem and Bio teachers).
I sent the application in at the end of September, and had an interview last week.

Just waiting for the results now....
Reply 5
FadeToBlackout
I sent the application in at the end of September, and had an interview last week.

Just waiting for the results now....

What was your interview like? It's the one-2-one I'm most nervous about - did they ask lots of difficult questions? How did you feel it went?
hannahradford
What was your interview like? It's the one-2-one I'm most nervous about - did they ask lots of difficult questions? How did you feel it went?

The actual interview itself was only part of the day of assessments- arrived at 8:30, finished by 4:30, with almost continual tasks in between. BUT this was for History, which is currently hugely popular, other subjects might have it differently.

I'm a bit loathe to give specific questions, because this was the first of three interview days that the History part of the faculty run, and they might wish to use the same questions- but all the stuff I was asked was relevant to the experience I had and my motivations; it was a bit of a grilling, but it was relaxed.

Again, I'd say that as you're doing a different subject, you might well be asked to do a lot of different stuff, so I'm afraid I'm not sure how useful my experiences will be for you.
Reply 7
FadeToBlackout
The actual interview itself was only part of the day of assessments- arrived at 8:30, finished by 4:30, with almost continual tasks in between. BUT this was for History, which is currently hugely popular, other subjects might have it differently.

I'm a bit loathe to give specific questions, because this was the first of three interview days that the History part of the faculty run, and they might wish to use the same questions- but all the stuff I was asked was relevant to the experience I had and my motivations; it was a bit of a grilling, but it was relaxed.

Again, I'd say that as you're doing a different subject, you might well be asked to do a lot of different stuff, so I'm afraid I'm not sure how useful my experiences will be for you.

I just wanted a general feel for the interview - I am aware that I will have to complete a written task and a presentation, possibly followed by a group discussion and a one to one interview.

I've had a mock interview at my university, so I have some idea as to what I might be asked - I was just wondering what types of questions you were asked, rather than any specific questions per se :smile:
I just got an interview from cambridge today! Ah I can't believe it but don't want to get too excited because the hardest is probably to come lol. I sent mine off exactly two weeks ago but its for general primary.
Reply 9
That's exciting, do you know what you have to do? how did they let you know that you had an interview? was it through track or email or letter in the post?
claire890
That's exciting, do you know what you have to do? how did they let you know that you had an interview? was it through track or email or letter in the post?

Track updated today but I haven't had an email or a letter yet. I've heard from others it says on the letter all what you have to do on the interview day! My interview isn't until January 18th though! A little worried because if I get rejected from there my second choice (roehampton) will probably have no spaces left!
Ah well same for most people I guess.
Good luck on you app! :smile:
Reply 11
You get a letter in the post about 10 days to 2 weeks before your interview date (I know these numbers because I phoned the department). It basically says what you need to bring with you to the interview and the structure of the interview. There are also a couple more information sheets and a college application form that you have to fill in and send back asap.

Latest

Trending

Trending