The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I wouldn't say you're behind. I don't talk to many people, but those who I have spoke to (about 3 or 4) haven't really done much beyond consider a topic as far as I know. If the library is open over Christmas then there's no reason you couldn't leave it till then, since most importantly you need 1 or 2 good/easy books on what you want to write about. However it's probably best to get into the habit of using your free time to work towards your essay, I procrastinated on actually choosing a topic by learning a bit more about LaTeX, particularly how to reference my sources.

Have you been to see your tutor? All I did was check through the list that was on MathStuff for a few that sounded interesting to me, checked what my tutor's advice was, then spent a good few hours in the library trying to find out which had the best balance of easy to find sources and easy material.

My tutor's advice was to pick a topic based on mainly 2 things, how easy you find the material/content, and how easy it is to find a range of sources. I'd say once you've chosen a topic it all gets a lot easier, you can have a brief read of the titles of further chapters in a book to see where it's going and pick a direction that sounds interesting, or just follow that of the book.

I wouldn't mind seeing some general advice too from those who've survived the essay before, it's a while since I've had to write anything as long as an essay (excluding Algebra I assignments).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
benwellsday
I wouldn't say you're behind. I don't talk to many people, but those who I have spoke to (about 3 or 4) haven't really done much beyond consider a topic as far as I know. If the library is open over Christmas then there's no reason you couldn't leave it till then, since most importantly you need 1 or 2 good/easy books on what you want to write about. However it's probably best to get into the habit of using your free time to work towards your essay, I procrastinated on actually choosing a topic by learning a bit more about LaTeX, particularly how to reference my sources.

Have you been to see your tutor? All I did was check through the list that was on MathStuff for a few that sounded interesting to me, checked what my tutor's advice was, then spent a good few hours in the library trying to find out which had the best balance of easy to find sources and easy material.

My tutor's advice was to pick a topic based on mainly 2 things, how easy you find the material/content, and how easy it is to find a range of sources. I'd say once you've chosen a topic it all gets a lot easier, you can have a brief read of the titles of further chapters in a book to see where it's going and pick a direction that sounds interesting, or just follow that of the book.

I wouldn't mind seeing some general advice too from those who've survived the essay before, it's a while since I've had to write anything as long as an essay (excluding Algebra I assignments).

And when people talk to you...you ignore them. BAD.
Reply 3
hiddengem
Ok, hopefully some older years can help here. i haven't thought about a topic nevermind started, am i really behind? Do you think i am leaving it too late to start christmas break?

No, I would say that is fine.

benwellsday
The essay is the only thing I did well in my second-year. (I only passed the year but got a first on the essay...) All I would say is that structure and clarity are all-important. The worse presentations I saw felt like aimless wanderings around topics (and often the more complex topics chosen, which only added to the confusion), rather than being systematic expositions with well-defined goals.

Just my 2p.
coffeym
And when people talk to you...you ignore them. BAD.

tru fax. he's very rude to most people imo.
Totally Tom
tru fax. he's very rude to most people imo.

Face? Bothered? :p:

Latest