The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swbp
I have offers from these 5 institutions. I just wondered how they would rank in terms of overall prestige (league tables etc). I'm not a snob, but i do think that if it ranks well in league tables, it may aid my employment afterwards.

Leicester
Queen Mary
Royal Holloway
Sheffield
Sussex

Thanks in advance :smile:

what subject
I think the differences between each is negligible. But if you insist...

1)Sheffield
2)QMUL
3)Leicester
4)Royal Holloway
5)Sussex
Original post by TheUbermensche

Sussex in particular gets their graduates into the top companies. Queen Mary is only good for architecture.

QMUL doesn't even offer an architecture degree, what are you on? :confused:
Reply 2143
I've applied for BA Geography (Human geography basically) but i'm looking more at overall rank.
Original post by Democracy
QMUL doesn't even offer an architecture degree, what are you on? :confused:

Sorry, I must have been thinking about UCL!
Sorry, I must have been thinking about UCL!

So you think UCL is only good for architecture? Very odd :eyeball:
Original post by Democracy
So you think UCL is only good for architecture? Very odd :eyeball:

Ahaahaha you know what, I retract the initial QM comment.
Reply 2147
Sheffield
Leicester
Sussex
RH
QM
Sussex
Sheffield
QM
RH
Leicester

But really, that is simply my own personal preference and I don't think you are going to gain too much valuable information from this thread other than that lots of people like different universities to each other.
It won't matter.

Go to the one you like.

A degree from any of them won't be significantly favoured over another.
Reply 2150
Honest truth? Employers really dont care where youve got your degree from (baring certain fields such as Law, accountancy). They will care about your overall degree standard (2:1 first).

They care much more about experience, recommendations, and generally things that show youre capable or have transferable skills for the job (such as being a project team leader in a volunteering rally. At an office job for example, thisd show you cab head project teams. ).

Besides those unis are all in a similar class. They all generally hit the 10-30 rankings. Excellent uni's.
Original post by swbp
I have offers from these 5 institutions. I just wondered how they would rank in terms of overall prestige (league tables etc). I'm not a snob, but i do think that if it ranks well in league tables, it may aid my employment afterwards.

Leicester
Queen Mary
Royal Holloway
Sheffield
Sussex

Thanks in advance :smile:

Employers don't use League tables, if that's what you're thinking. Graduates have been employer for many, many, many more years than league tables have been in existence. There's no significant difference between them in terms of ranking. All are comparable, ranking in the top 20 - 30.

Besides, league tables fluctuate every year. You might go and pick, say Leicester now to find that, in two years time, Sussex is ranked highest. Then two years after that it's Queen Mary. This is particularly likely given the fact that those universities are broadly comparable and rank close to each other.

Concentrate on chosing the right course for you, getting extra-curriculars, achieving at least a 2:1, attending careers events and workships to improve your chances of performing well in selection tests and interviews. This is what will make the difference. Not whether you've got Sheffield or Leicester on your CV.

I rank universities as per their jobmarket reputation and their 'prestige'.
I would rank the following as such :

1)Sussex
2)Leicester
3)Sheffield
4)Royal Holloway
5)Queen Mary

Sussex in particular gets their graduates into the top companies. Queen Mary is only good for architecture.

Where on earth did you pull this from? How are you measuring jobmarket reputation and "prestige"? Sheffield was ranked in the top 20 of the world in the THES Employer Review a couple of years ago (now idea of this year's position) and ranks higher than some, if not all, of the others in numerous surveys of top employers (ie. Times top 100). I'm not saying it's more favoured amongst employers than the others, but I've seen nothing to suggest your ranking conforms to "employers" pereceptions, especially when you consider the huge number and variety of employers many of whom either don't care for university name at all, might place some importance on whether it's a Russell or 1994 Group university (all of those are), or will have their own perceptions not reflected in league tables, your ranking, or the ranking of anyone else in this thread.

Ahaahaha you know what, I retract the initial QM comment.

Better yet, can you retract the entire post? Or at least justify the perverse ranking?
Reply 2152
How would you rate the following universities for studying sport science/coaching, playing hockey and the 'uni experience' eg having fun/night life!

Bath
Birmingham
Brighton
Gloucestershire
UWIC

Thanks
Reply 2153
Original post by Lexi123
How would you rate the following universities for studying sport science/coaching, playing hockey and the 'uni experience' eg having fun/night life!

Bath
Birmingham
Brighton
Gloucestershire
UWIC

Thanks

In all honesty, with a popular degree like sports science, graduates who go to 'more prestigious', 'better unis' overall tend to have a better chance at employment, than a young one like Glos, even though the departments aren't that bad...I honestly would only go for Bath or B'ham, especially when paying today's fees...

Uni Quality Overall
1.Bath
B'ham (not much difference, two top unis)
<big gap>
Brighton
UWIC
Glos

Night Life
1.UWIC
Brighton
B'ham (all big cities with good nightlife. i loved cardiff and didn't think much of b'ham, but bath and glos are pretty quiet (lived near both)
(gap)
Glos
Bath

obviously my opinion....probably not that helpful but ah well!
Reply 2154
Thanks, you were very helpful.

My heart says UWIC for the nightlife, but my head says Bath.
Reply 2155
Original post by Lexi123
Thanks, you were very helpful.

My heart says UWIC for the nightlife, but my head says Bath.

It's just my opinion based off my experiences, but league tables wise, Bath and Birmingham are quality unis. I'd go for Bath-there's still plenty to do there! I mean there may not be as many clubs as say Cardiff, but the town is beautiful, and there's so many opportunities with societies like most unis. I have friends there too who still have had an amazingly fun time! Plus if you're really desperate for a massive night out going to many different places (I can't see why but hey), Bristol isn't too far at all.
Reply 2157
I went to Edinburgh and IMO it is a great all rounder uni.

My departments (languages) were very good and I had some brilliant tutors. My friends doing other subjects were also generally pretty satisfied with their courses. There are loads of societies and it's easy to get involved with lots. It is an amazing, beautiful city with good nightlife, plenty of gigs, theatre, good indie cinema, decent shopping etc and really close to Glasgow for more stuff, the beach is on your doorstep and there are lots of green areas. Wish my time there hadn't gone so fast.

I also agree with Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc.
Original post by kbountra
I would put Sheffield uni as one of the best all round- excellent teaching and student satisfaction, top student union, good nightlife, relatively low crime rate, town gown relations are good, surrounded by greenery with the peak district on your doorstep.

Hills, hills, hills :angry:
I'd say Bristol. I can't think of anything wrong with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending