Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The bumper thread of University League Tables discussion - includes an info post

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    That's what I meant
    Ah okay, yeah, most abroad just know it as London, Oxford, Cambridge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onewingedangel)
    I'm a Brit who's lived abroad all my life, and in the US, nobody has ever heard of UCL. Ever. Most think I'm talking about UCLA. They have heard about Imperial college and LSE though.
    UCL just doesn't stand out in any way. It has a boring name and it's a general university similar to oxbridge, but its reputation is miles below. Hence it has no distinguishing aspects. Imperial and LSE can compete with oxbridge in their respective areas of expertise. UCL cannot compete with oxbridge or lse or imperial.
    Do you think one would rather do economics at UCL than LSE?
    That one would do mech engineering at UCL than Imperial?
    UCL is just an average university.
    You have no idea about UCL do you? It's world class in pretty much every area, especially in humanities, social sciences and medical sciences.

With regards to economics and engineering as you mentioned them: UCL's economics departments is one of the best in the world. If you don't believe me, look at its staff. In the 2008 RAE it scored joint first with LSE above Oxford and Cambridge. For engineering granted it's relatively weaker, but it's improving rapidly and is still top quality.

Basically you're talking a load of garbage. UCL may not have the same 'brand name' as LSE/Imperial, but the gap is small and closing rapidly. Amongst academic and employer circles it's highly regarded and that's all that matters ultimately, not what your average Joe on the street thinks.

QS ranked it 4th in the world last year and 7th this year. The Times ranked it 21st in the world last year and it's moved up to 17th this year. Hardly 'average' :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should say a degree from Engineering from Imperial, Cambridge or Southampton in India is regarded ridiculously highly. The countries graduates from IIT (best uni in India for engineering) cannot compete with graduates from these institutions. Source: My Indian uni friends doing engineering.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like_A_G6)
    Should say a degree from Engineering from Imperial, Cambridge or Southampton in India is regarded ridiculously highly. The countries graduates from IIT (best uni in India for engineering) cannot compete with graduates from these institutions. Source: My Indian uni friends doing engineering.
    That's funny because Soton really sucks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    That's funny because Soton really sucks
    Not for engineering and computer science.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone give me the top 20 universities for English Literatures from The Times? Thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desertanium)
    Hi, can anyone give me the top 20 universities for English Literatures from The Times? Thanks
    2 University College London 4.4 486 2.85 81.0 100.0
    2 1 Oxford 4.3 504 3.00 78.0 99.8
    3 3 Durham 4.3 497 2.80 76.0 98.8
    4 4 Cambridge 4.2 529 2.95 70.0 98.6
    5 6 York 4.0 490 3.15 74.0 98.5
    6 5 Warwick 4.2 487 2.95 74.0 98.2
    7 8 St Andrews 4.1 480 2.95 69.0 96.7
    8 9 Exeter 4.2 459 3.00 67.0 96.4
    9 7 Bristol 4.0 503 2.85 69.0 96.4
    10 11 Nottingham 4.0 459 3.00 71.0 96.3
    11 18 Sussex 4.4 415 2.70 70.0 95.1
    12 15 Queen Mary 4.3 401 3.05 64.0 94.7
    13 16 Leicester 4.3 416 2.70 68.0 94.5
    14 21 Lancaster 4.1 425 2.70 69.0 94.2
    15 11 Leeds 4.1 449 2.95 61.0 94.2
    16 13 Edinburgh 3.9 438 3.05 62.0 93.9
    17 17 Newcastle 4.1 444 2.90 61.0 93.8
    18 19 Liverpool 4.1 425 2.90 62.0 93.7
    19 25 Loughborough 4.4 398 2.50 68.0 93.7
    20 20 Southampton
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain why Goldsmiths is so low in university league tables? I'm not going there, a friend is, yet i'm really suprised that some have placed them around 50th. They have really good research standards, and it isn't easy to get a place....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    which were the founding members of the russell group?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fields)
    Subject tables are more useful.
    From a maths point of view at least newspaper subject tables are almost entirely useless.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnm)
    which were the founding members of the russell group?
    The Russell Group has an Orwellian view of history so this is very difficult information to find.

The earliest information on THES (Jan 1995) gives 15 members. Although the names aren't mentioned those of the current 20 which weren't in at the beginning were Warwick, LSE and Queen's. I don't know the other two.

However when the group was still secret, I believe it was smaller with, I think, only 11 members.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion these are the top 10 universities in the UK in terms of academics and prestige. The UK 'Ivy league':
    1.)Oxford
    2.)Cambridge
    3.)LSE
    4.)Durham
    5.)Imperial
    6.)Warwick
    7.)UCL
    8.)St Andrews
    9.)Bristol
    10.)Edinburgh
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicatee)
    In my opinion these are the top 10 universities in the UK in terms of academics and prestige. The UK 'Ivy league':
    1.)Oxford
    2.)Cambridge
    3.)LSE
    4.)Durham
    5.)Imperial
    6.)Warwick
    7.)UCL
    8.)St Andrews
    9.)Bristol
    10.)Edinburgh
    Your opinion is noted. Perhaps you would let us know why your opinion should be accorded respect. Are you an Ofsted inspector, a former vice-chancellor or the head of Universities UK; or perhaps you have made a lifetime's study of the subject?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Your opinion is noted. Perhaps you would let us know why your opinion should be accorded respect. Are you an Ofsted inspector, a former vice-chancellor or the head of Universities UK; or perhaps you have made a lifetime's study of the subject?
    You must get awfully bored of the adolescent teens on here who have claims to the accurate list of the UK's top 10 universities.

(Original post by alicatee)
    1.)Oxford
    2.)Cambridge
    3.)LSE
    4.)Durham
    5.)Imperial
    6.)Warwick
    7.)UCL
    8.)St Andrews
    9.)Bristol
    10.)Edinburgh
    Durham seems slightly inflated to me.. and suprise suprise you're a Durham firmer.:rolleyes: To be honest, after Oxford, Cambridge, and possibly LSE and Imperial, I don't think this would really make sense. Consider that in the US, a Princeton degree is generally more prestigious than a Columbia degree to the massess. Princeton would probably be percieved as slightly below Yale and Harvard, and slightly above Columbia. However even if your table is accurate I don't think a Durham degree (4) is generally any more prestigious then a Edinburgh degree, despite a difference in 6 places.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    You must get awfully bored of the adolescent teens on here who have claims to the accurate list of the UK's top 10 universities.

Durham seems slightly inflated to me.. and suprise suprise you're a Durham firmer.:rolleyes: To be honest, after Oxford, Cambridge, and possibly LSE and Imperial, I don't think this would really make sense. Consider that in the US, a Princeton degree is generally more prestigious than a Columbia degree to the massess. Princeton would probably be percieved as slightly below Yale and Harvard, and slightly above Columbia. However even if your table is accurate I don't think a Durham degree (4) is generally any more prestigious then a Edinburgh degree, despite a difference in 6 places.
    Im not going to argue either way here, I will point out that prestige is largelly irrelevant if you are looking at the top 10, research quality, teaching quality e.t.c these tangible quantities matter far more. I think people should treat universities less like a game of football with winners, loosers and rankings and more like academic power houses.

Of course I would never argue all universities are equal, oxbridge is obviously the best in the country. However this is not due to their prestige (though undoubtadely they have that), but due to their fantastic teaching and resarch quality and thus their ability to attract applicants of a higher standard.

Now I understand durham does alot better than edinburough in the terrestial legue tables, and worse on the international ones. It is intelectually lazy and very biased to dismiss one or the other out of hand, as so many people do. All university league tables will have some validity, and should be discussed in terms of their methology NOT in terms of a vague phantom comparison to perceived prestige which I fear is the trap we all fall into far too often.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)

TSR and university insecurities again
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE overtakes Oxford in latest university league table http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

The end is nigh :gasp:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...bles/rankings?

Top 10 are

1) Cambridge
    2) LSE
    3) Oxford
    4) Imperial
    5) Durham
    6)Warwick
    6) St Andrews
    8) UCL
    9) Lancaster
    10) Bath.

Anybody else suprised by the large difference betwen the graduate prospects of LSE and Oxford?

UCL also seems strangely lower then usual..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    surely all the russels group shud be in the top 10
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.yousef)
    surely all the russels group shud be in the top 10
    Do you even have any clue about what russell group is?

Anyway I think this new 2013 one is the worse I've seen so far from the complete university guide.

I mean who would go that far to rate Oxford economics higher than Cambridge's when Oxford don't even offer straight economics.
    And I don't understand how LSE is ranked above Oxford overall?

Even the top 10 maths table is laughable. Oxford above Cambridge? St Andrews and Durham above Imperial?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.