The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08rbut
Wow. This table is SO wrong. I think most wouldn't rank Warwick 5th and would probably call it overrated. Saying this, I don't mind going there in the future!:tongue:

So Warwick is overrated, while St Andrew's position is perfectly justified. :lol: out of interest what makes you think it is overrated? In my book all universities are overrated really, especially the London universities.
Reply 2441
Original post by Bubblyminty
St Andrew should not even be so high. It is full of snobs who have the money to get in -_-.

That's overgeneralising, there are plenty of 'normal' people there. I graduated a few years ago, come from a working class family, state school background, received a bursary and had a part-time job while I was there. And that was certainly not unusual.
Original post by Tsunami2011
In my book all universities are overrated really, especially the London universities.

Go on...
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Go on...

Nothing much really, just the way people on here seem to think that there is a MASSIVE distinction between LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick, Durham, St Andrews. People spout the G5 + Golden Triangle as proof of this, or claim that after the top 5(incld the london unis) the next 20 universities are pretty much equal. I would agree that LSE, Imperial and UCL are the next best after Oxbridge, But I don't think the gap between them and other 'leading universities' is really much.
Birmingham 30th??? WHAT A JOKEE!
Original post by razmazterz
Birmingham 30th??? WHAT A JOKEE!

*Checks sig*

'Birmingham- Firm'.

There's no surprise
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
*Checks sig*

'Birmingham- Firm'.

There's no surprise

hahahah Its true tho!!
Has to be in the top 20 at least:smile: Its a lovely university, it impressed me a lot. Lets see if it lives up to its expectations when I go there:smile:
Any idea when the rankings by course are released?
Loughborough at eleven :lolwut:
Original post by JagSan
I see this thread as people bashing the whole table because one university(the one they probably went to) isn't as high as they think it should be, which is biased. I don't really see the point of these league tables, they just convince people that choosing a uni isn't about the course, but about the ranking, which I find silly. I guess that's conformity and social pressure for you.

I'm bashing it because the one I go to (Surrey) is way to high! How the hell is Surrey 12th!?
In my own completely biased opinion ....

Imperial, Nottingham, KCL, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool and probably Bristol are all too low.

UEA, Aston, Loughborough, Surrey, Buckingham, Bath, Lancaster and City University London are all too high.
(Apologies to people studying at the second group, no offence is intended.)

I guess I tend to favour the traditional red brick universities; the Guardian conversely seems to be biased towards encouraging the up and coming universities (which no doubt have a less complacent attitude towards student satisfaction). I also long had a feeling that the Guardian enjoy kicking universities which have a more corporate and business oriented outlook, like Nottingham - but maybe that's just me making excuses. I still can't get over how low Imperial is.
The ****? Robert Gordon rates higher than UoA!

This is an odd league table, but it's like the SPL, Oxford or Cambridge will always come top.
Original post by depiction
Any idea when the rankings by course are released?

Use this link then select your course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-business-management-studies
Kings 31st is just beyond unjustifiable. Nearly spat out my milk. :angry:

That's 2012. I read on a comment on the Guardian that the 2013 subject specific ones are released at midnight, but don't take my word for it
Reply 2455
Heriot-Watt? lol i have never ever heard of it.

how is aston university higher than King's, Newcastle and Manchester?
I see that there is a lot of hype why Surrey is so high. I will share my view as Surrey BSc International Hospitality and Tourism Management 2011 graduate. I think everything will be reflected when they release subject tables. That's for the last year:
1st Tourism, Transport and Travel
3rd Electronic Engineering
4th Sociology
4th Mechanical Engineering
6th Civil Engineering
8th Psychology
8th Chemical Engineering
13th Modern Languages
14th Music
15th Nursing and Paramedic Practice
16th Computer Sciences
17th Economics
17th Drama and Dance
18th Biosciences

Surrey in last couple of years has made a lot of investment, both in facilities and academics. It has acquired Guildford School of Acting and build two new buildings for them: academic building with a lot of facilities to train, as well as new theatre for performance and some other extra stuff to practice. In the summer of 2011 they have also opened new resourcing and language centre, 13mln pounds investment (http://www.building.co.uk/pictures/458xAny/3/6/0/1706360_42news12.jpg - the building on the left). Furthermore year by year, the quality of teaching has been constantly improving, and that's an opinion of people from various courses that I have spoken to. In regards to the satisfaction, they have improved the feedback. There is also one important point that my lecturer has pointed as a comparison (he did PhD at LSE) that you can find hardly any other university when you can approach lecturers so easily. As long as they are in the office, you are free to discuss any issues or problems you have with the subject. Can't agree more, even at late times (i.e. midnight) the lecturers used to reply pretty much straight away (of course not all, and not all the time).

Whenever there were issues - they dealt with them promptly. Year by year the courses have been becoming more and more practical. Great facilities to study... Also for placements it has been the best university in the UK for (or one of the best) in last couple of years.

Sumarising, the improvement has been seen at every step.

PS. I think that student satisfaction is extremely important, at the end, you are going to spend at the university 3 or 4 years of your life, therefore even if there are many good things, but you are dissatisfied with many of them, you might hate your life during your degree.

PS.2 I am very objective and very demanding though, so I am not trying to praise Surrey just because I have studied there, but that it really deserves appraisal.
(edited 11 years ago)
LOL at that whole table, it is wrong in so many ways.

And sorry but what even is Herriot-Watt?
Original post by oHellno
LOL at that whole table, it is wrong in so many ways.

And sorry but what even is Herriot-Watt?

A University in Edinburgh. My dad got his Masters from there, it's a big sciency Uni (named of course, after James Watt)
Original post by zaliack
That's 2012. I read on a comment on the Guardian that the 2013 subject specific ones are released at midnight, but don't take my word for it

oops didn't notice haha :P

Latest

Trending

Trending