The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Physics is also a very popular course to study.
A lot of UCL's courses demand high entry requirements, but not Physics.
This is UCL, one of the most famous and prestigious universities in the UK.
UCL is in London.

It was just an example. There could be a reason other than UCL not being good for Physics that the requirements are low. I know where UCL is.
Important fact for the big "international" rankings - they use a lot of research publications/peer assessment, which are mostly centered around graduate schools.

On the other hand, regional rankings will focus more on the student-aspect of the uni, and hence, the large differences.

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
But surely a good university should be enjoyable to attend. Given how little institution actually matters when it comes to getting a job, I'd advise against putting yourself through 3 years of hell to have a 3% better chance at being in a graduate job after 6 months. In my opinion these rankings to a great job at factoring in all the different factors and crunching the numbers into a great measure of university v university.

imo, student satisfaction should be a really small factor.
a) It varies massively in the uni itself.
b) Ranking associations sample a small number of students (NSS does only final years if I'm not mistaken), and is no way representative of the whole student body.
(edited 11 years ago)
Physics is also a very popular course to study.
A lot of UCL's courses demand high entry requirements, but not Physics.
This is UCL, one of the most famous and prestigious universities in the UK.
UCL is in London.

The research labs for CMMP definitely aren't great (the ones that are based in UCL anyways, in LCN they're much nicer and well equipped). The undergraduate course however, is pretty decent, and is probably what should be focused upon. I wouldn't go back for a PhD, but I would have done my undergrad there.
Employment prospects is the only stat which you need.
I've heard that their lab facilities are poor in comparison to other top Universities. Also their entrance requirements of AAB (for 2011 at least) are pretty low compared to other top Universities (Imperial is A*AA, for example). In the CUG's league table, a pretty reliable league table, its Physics department ranked 19th in 2012 and 13th in 2013.

Yeah, that shocked me! AAA-AAB is what it says now, but that seems ridiculous! Is it really that bad a course?
Look, league table fans, another one! Top 50 unis in the world under 50 years old.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/top-50-under-50

Warwick's the best in Europe, but they wuz robbed - should have been best in the world if you ask me! :biggrin:
Original post by Junaid96
Yes. I'd mostly ignore student satisfaction, as they often have little to do with the academic side of a university. Note how the top unis for satisfaction are almost never the top academic universities (enter Loughborough, Bath etc.).

My main question is how employers see the unis.

Could you say a bit more on that? Cheers :smile:

:rolleyes: oh didn't realise you were already such a great expert...

The questions in the nss are about things like 'did you recieve feedback on your assignment in good time?' 'was it easy to make appointments with teaching staff'... Things that teaching unis might actually do better at than the research unis... It's only the sixth formers on tsr who think it's about giving marks for nightlife, ready availability of drunk chix and drugs etc.
It's stuff you aught to care about really... Just i don't think it's a particularly reliable indicator.
Yeah, that shocked me! AAA-AAB is what it says now, but that seems ridiculous! Is it really that bad a course?

aab... Yeah it's terrible, a travesty!
Are you by any chance trolling? :rolleyes:

Don't be daft. The undergraduate course is pretty good, and it has good facilities at PG level for HEP, astrophysics and nanotech (being part of LCN). Some of its research labs in the old part of the building are a bit dilapidated but as an undergraduate that doesn't mean anything to you. The entry requirements may be AAB-AAA, but last year the average entrant had the equivalent of A*A*Aa.
Original post by rodcarter
Out of curiosity if everyone were to compile their own top 20 - based purely on opinion of prestige, job prospects and academic research what would they be?

I'd go for (and bare in mind this is an extremely rough list not intended to insult anyone's institution)

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) LSE
6) Imperial
7) Edinburgh
8) St Andrews
9) Bristol
10) Warwick
11) Kings
12) Nottingham
13) Manchester
14) Leeds
15) York
16) Sheffield
17) Exeter
18) Newcastle
19) Lancaster
20) Bath

Again many could go up one or two places but what would everyone else's be - purely out of curiosity. Don't get upset by this if your uni isn't mention, just correct me.

Bath 20th? you having a laugh?
Original post by Joinedup
aab... Yeah it's terrible, a travesty!
Are you by any chance trolling? :rolleyes:

Original post by Nichrome
Don't be daft. The undergraduate course is pretty good, and it has good facilities at PG level for HEP, astrophysics and nanotech (being part of LCN). Some of its research labs in the old part of the building are a bit dilapidated but as an undergraduate that doesn't mean anything to you. The entry requirements may be AAB-AAA, but last year the average entrant had the equivalent of A*A*Aa.

Yeah, sorry I guess I thought if Durham are asking for A*AA, surely UCL should be too? Is it easier to get an offer at UCL, and how will it be seen compared to Durham then?
Original post by Norton1
The entry requirement was going past it on the bus a few years ago. May have risen due to grade inflation.

Crap, meant to rep for that (not that I dislike the uni or anything, just reminded me of something) and mis-clicked. Will rep you in 30 days.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
But, the thing is, are they "weak" if you are going to enjoy being there?

'Weak' being in terms of reputation in a subject.

<3 x
Original post by The Lyceum
Crap, meant to rep for that (not that I dislike the uni or anything, just reminded me of something) and mis-clicked. Will rep you in 30 days.

I'm more interested in what it reminded you of to be honest!

I've nothing against Aberdeen either, it's very good. It's all okay now Aberdeeners!
So I've been looking through the Guardian's rankings, and I found that they were often completely different to what I expected, Physics http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-physics being an example.

1Oxford 100.0 93 90 79 9.4 9 621 6 77
2Lancaster 96.5 96 96 91 7.6 9 440 8 66
3St Andrews 92.1 99 96 72 9.8 8 563 3 81
4Manchester 90.0 96 96 74 11.1 9 495 7 70
5Birmingham 89.9 94 89 72 10.0 8 503 6 75
6Liverpool 88.2 96 96 75 8.8 10 401 6 73
7UCL 86.8 91 87 66 8.2 9 509 8 75
8Sussex 84.8 96 95 87 8.9 3 409 9 65
9Edinburgh 83.3 94 89 67 11.6 10 514 7 64
10Durham 82.5 92 87 71 11.2 4 574 6 80
11Leeds 82.3 93 90 77 12.3 4 435 4 89
12Imperial College 81.8 87 82 52 10.2 8 588 7 78
13Royal Holloway 80.0 92 90 77 8.2 6 352 6
14Warwick 75.2 83 83 66 13.3 7 528 6 80

So apparently Lancaster, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sussex and Leeds are all better than Imperial?

I realised that the requirements for a high ranking have *nothing* to do with the quality of the university (as in, how good in terms of difficulty of content you are studying) - it's all rubbish like "satisfied with teaching", "satisfied with course" etc. How on earth can Imperial (a sciences university) be six places further down in the UK than it is worldwide?

Rankings all seem to be completely messed up - looking worldwide, apparently Leeds, KCL and Manchester outdo Durham and Warwick in the Times' reputation rankings.

How much attention do employers pay to rankings?

If, for example, I took Theoretical Physics at UCL, I would have thought that should be considered as one of the top 4-5 in the country, and top 10-20 in the world. A quick peek at rankings, however, tells me otherwise, with what I thought to be 'lesser' universities coming higher up.

If I've said anything stupid, please don't neg, just explain it to me as this is a serious question.

The guardian isn't very good for tables tbh. If you want to look at one look at the complete university guide one. A newspaper is probably going to be biased because of links to universities. Glasgow has the UK head office for the Atlas and the head analysis office for the LHC and is taking part in the building of a worldwide multi-million pound project to build a group of satellites to measure black holes but is like 34rth on the guardians list, somehow I don't think so considering it's like 59th in the world in and in the top ten on most other lists.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have come to the conclusion that the Guardian is biased AGAINST Imperial.

The reason is that Imperial has the highest score of 84 for employment, yet in a subsequent article focsuing on employment, it cites the LSE as the top uni, followed by Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Warwick, with NO mention of Imperial.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/may/22/university-graduates-earlier-job-applications#start-of-comments
Today a new league table is born, the 100 best worldwide universities under 50 years old.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Journals/THE/THE/31_May_2012/attachments/THE_100_Under_50_.pdf

Like all the best league tables, it looks like it is going to be deeply controversial.

The UK entries are:-

8 York
9 Lancaster
10 UEA
13 Warwick
20 Essex
35 Brunel
37=Bath
50= Stirling
56 Surrey
60 Plymouth
61 Keele
62 Hertfordshire
69 Loughborough
71 Strathclyde
72= Heriot Watt
72= LJMU
80 Kent
83 Aston
90 City
92 Bradford

I should add that Sussex is too old. I suspect Newcastle and Dundee which were calved out out other universities in the 1960s have been deliberately omitted.

The pre-92 universities which do not appear in the list are Salford, Cranfield (though it wasn't called a university until 1993 it had university powers since the 1960s), Open, Ulster and Buckingham.

Let battle commence :colone:
Original post by nulli tertius
Today a new league table is born, the 100 best worldwide universities under 50 years old.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Journals/THE/THE/31_May_2012/attachments/THE_100_Under_50_.pdf

Like all the best league tables, it looks like it is going to be deeply controversial.

The UK entries are:-

8 York
9 Lancaster
10 UEA
13 Warwick
20 Essex
35 Brunel
37=Bath
50= Stirling
56 Surrey
60 Plymouth
61 Keele
62 Hertfordshire
69 Loughborough
71 Strathclyde
72= Heriot Watt
72= LJMU
80 Kent
83 Aston
90 City
92 Bradford

I should add that Sussex is too old. I suspect Newcastle and Dundee which were calved out out other universities in the 1960s have been deliberately omitted.

The pre-92 universities which do not appear in the list are Salford, Cranfield (though it wasn't called a university until 1993 it had university powers since the 1960s), Open, Ulster and Buckingham.

Let battle commence :colone:

All the best league tables are controversial? Seemed to me like the controversial ones where the ones that switched things around massively each year (and so are probably the worst league tables).

Also; a very odd category. Who cares whether the university is old or not? Surely just which is best matters...
Original post by hassi94
All the best league tables are controversial? Seemed to me like the controversial ones where the ones that switched things around massively each year (and so are probably the worst league tables).

That was tongue in cheek. Remember the job of a newspaper or magazine is to sell newspapers, magazines and advertising.

Also; a very odd category. Who cares whether the university is old or not? Surely just which is best matters...

Here is the article which accompanied it

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=419908&c=1
Original post by nulli tertius
That was tongue in cheek. Remember the job of a newspaper or magazine is to sell newspapers, magazines and advertising.

Here is the article which accompanied it

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=419908&c=1

Ah sorry - it's hard to tell over TSR :tongue:

Thanks I'll have a read.

Latest

Trending

Trending