The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
There is no league table that can be reliable.
I used to think that league tables were everything,
then I saw the guardian, the times and the complete university guides and they all varied significantly.
Some "poor" unis were in the middle and some "good" unis were lower down
They don't make sense and theyre not very accurate
It's down to each students perception of the uni
There should be ONE univeral university guide for everyone to follow because league tables are confusing and misleading...
London uni's are not that fricking great.. FFs, stfu.
Reply 342
metallica nutter
noticed you applied to kcl twice...is that because its not a top uni :rolleyes:

I applied cause I liked it. I appled twice because I didn't know what I wanted to do and both courses at King's appealed to me. If I was going on league tables, I would've applied to Oxbridge.
metallica nutter
yep its better, but kings is definitely better than warwick durham york bath and southampton :o:

Bath and Southampton for most subjects yes, the other 2 no.

The guardian is crap though Lancaster ahead of Imp! What a joke!
Reply 344
It's not a reputation table. The Guardian chooses some variables that it thinks are important and then ranks the universities based on these variables. What do you want them to do? Manipulate the variables that they select to make Kings appear higher in the league table?
Reply 345
These league tables are so confusing. What happened to Manchester?! I've seen places like Kent, Sussex and Essex ranked anywhere from 50th to 30th. I think basically the big difference is between the ex-Polytechnics, which only require C's and D's in your A-Levels, and the Universities which were built as Universities. Roughly, any University ranked 50th or higher is ok, once you get to 55th-60th and below they are not really proper Universities. That doesn't mean they are worthless though.
wickes
These league tables are so confusing. What happened to Manchester?! I've seen places like Kent, Sussex and Essex ranked anywhere from 50th to 30th. I think basically the big difference is between the ex-Polytechnics, which only require C's and D's in your A-Levels, and the Universities which were built as Universities. Roughly, any University ranked 50th or higher is ok, once you get to 55th-60th and below they are not really proper Universities. That doesn't mean they are worthless though.

:yep: manchester is a good uni...it should be at least top 20 on any league table
Reply 347
metallica nutter
not really focus :confused:

just a bit miffed that unis with good reputations are so low in the rankings...i also mentioned some others as well :smile:

Oh BTW doesn't Kings issue University of London degrees? In which case, on completion of your degree, you will be issued a degree that is indistinguishable from one earned at lowly Birbeck college lol.

I bet that'll drive you round the bend :biggrin:
Tefhel
Utter rubbish. :no: Do you truly believe that Durham or LSE is "pretty much the same prestige" as London South Bank or Middlesex? :confused:

OP: Yes the Guardian guide is a load of BS. You can still access the Times one fortunately.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php

Durham and LSE are both top 5 aren't they?

Ok, maybe I should have said top 10 and bottom 10, but anyone like the OP who thinks Kings is far superior to Kent just because it's a couple of places higher up the Guardian rankings is deluding themselves.
Phasma
Oh BTW doesn't Kings issue University of London degrees? In which case, on completion of your degree, you will be issued a degree that is indistinguishable from one earned at lowly Birbeck college lol.

(Actually, King's successfully applied to award it's own degrees whilst remaining a part of UoL, around the time Gimperial left :holmes: )

... OP is still a bit of a tool though :awesome:
Phasma

where did you hear that... completely untrue mate :mmm:
Reply 351
Focus08
I repeat what I wrote before:

All these threads you're making lately show me that you are very insecure about King's and you seek validation from the rest of us... i.e. you're not convinced that it is a good uni, otherwise you wouldn't have made like 10 threads about it...

Honestly I think this guy's a troll. He effing good at it too.
metallica nutter
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table

now that the times university league table has become less accessible since they have started charging to use their website...people seem to be referencing the guardian one quite alot...but imho the list is not very reliable

im going to kcl in september which is one of the top 25 universities in the world, however the following universities are above it: lancaster, york, leicester, exeter, sussex, durham, uea, surrey,city

i doubt very much if a student was offered a place kcl they would turn it down to go to one of these lesser unis

they also have good unis very low down in the league ie nottingham 21st birmingham 30th bristol in 33rd leeds 35th newcastle 37th manchester 51st (kings 25th) :confused:

reputation > league table

I'm totally cool with people championing their uni but kcl is not top 25 in the world unless you swap the 'k' for a 'u'......and they really aren't as good at biochem as durham/york
metallica nutter
sorry it didnt work out for you...what uni are you at now and how are you getting along?

I only dropped out this academic year, so I'll be starting this September. Somewhere that isn't London or KCL (and most importantly not my previous course)

Like I said KCL is still a good uni and maybe it was just my department that was a bit crap. Don't fret. And as long as you're happy with the decision you made, stop comparing it to other similarly good unis and worrying about stupid things like prestige and leagues tables. The most important thing is that you truly enjoy your subject :top:
Reply 354
That league table, like all league tables, is *****. Just look at Maths.

Oxford is not better than Cambridge for Maths.
Lancaster is not better than Warwick and Imperial for Maths (LOL)
Greenwich ahead of St. Andrews and Durham? Get to ****.

Moral of the story: League tables suck. Don't use them.
metallica nutter

im going to kcl in september which is one of the top 25 universities in the world, however the following universities are above it: lancaster, york, leicester, exeter, sussex, durham, uea, surrey,city

i doubt very much if a student was offered a place kcl they would turn it down to go to one of these lesser unis

Not entirely sure how you have come to the conclusion that the above are 'lesser' unis than kcl but I assume you have attained a degree from each to back up that claim?
connorbrown
Not entirely sure how you have come to the conclusion that the above are 'lesser' unis than kcl but I assume you have attained a degree from each to back up that claim?

Durham is better than kings for many of the subjects. But then that's my view. How and what criteria do we use to define better? Entry requirements well then if that's true Cambridge and Imperial are both better than Oxford in every subject that requires A*AA or higher. RAE well then how do we know whether one subject research is better than the other. One Uni may do more tests and research that are less significant than other acheivements with other unis who find a few important achievements. UCAS points average. Well maybe a bunch of geniuses went to south bank uni and a few people who scrape AAA in A level go to Oxford. Graduate prospects can depend on whether the employers is affiliated with the Uni or not. Finally theres degree classification. Well try and get a first in Cambridge. Pretty hard in comparison to lower.
Point is well unless there is a clear line with the Universities, saying two similar unis that have different reputations and student satisfaction will distinguish universities in terms of how good the universities are. Reputation is also biased.
jam277
Durham is better than kings for many of the subjects. But then that's my view. How and what criteria do we use to define better? Entry requirements well then if that's true Cambridge and Imperial are both better than Oxford in every subject that requires A*AA or higher. RAE well then how do we know whether one subject research is better than the other. One Uni may do more tests and research that are less significant than other acheivements with other unis who find a few important achievements. UCAS points average. Well maybe a bunch of geniuses went to south bank uni and a few people who scrape AAA in A level go to Oxford. Graduate prospects can depend on whether the employers is affiliated with the Uni or not. Finally theres degree classification. Well try and get a first in Cambridge. Pretty hard in comparison to lower.
Point is well unless there is a clear line with the Universities, saying two similar unis that have different reputations and student satisfaction will distinguish universities in terms of how good the universities are. Reputation is also biased.

I agree, my point is that it is impossible to claim, for instance, that KCL is a university 'better' than York. Naturally some universities have an academic prowess superior to others, that is indisputable. But it is the same argument that many of my friends had when going through UCAS - Manchester's better than Liverpool, no its not, Nottingham is. The course, choice of accomodation, quality of teaching and what you make out of it are the key factors.
Every village has an idiot; OP will be KCL's.
connorbrown
I agree, my point is that it is impossible to claim, for instance, that KCL is a university 'better' than York. Naturally some universities have an academic prowess superior to others, that is indisputable. But it is the same argument that many of my friends had when going through UCAS - Manchester's better than Liverpool, no its not, Nottingham is. The course, choice of accomodation, quality of teaching and what you make out of it are the key factors.

Thank you. My friend was telling me that league tables show leicester as 7th for medicine. I checked other ones and it varies between 7 and 25th place when there are 31 medical schools. Also it's hard to measure these factors as well. Not everyone will be truthful in satisfaction etc. My other comment about the geniuses applies to quality of teaching.

Latest

Trending

Trending