The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is completely dependent on course. But, for overall rankings, I'd pick and choose from: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, LSE, maybe St. Andrews or Durham.

That's off the top of my head - I may be completely wrong and will happily stand corrected :smile:
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Southampton
Brighton
Plymouth
Bournemouth
Exeter
Portsmouth

Why? Because they're the universities furthest away from Scotland and lets face it, no one wants to be close to Scotland.

What :frown:
Someone I know asked me this and I can't be biased to him, thus I asked your opinions.

I think my friend was asking about the top 6 UK unis based on prestige and academic quality across all breadths and majors the university offers.
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Someone I know asked me this and I can't be biased to him, thus I asked your opinions.

I think my friend was asking about the top 6 UK unis based on prestige and academic quality across all breadths and majors the university offers.

C'mon there is never going to be agreement on this and you know it!

The ones that will be suggested the most are Oxbridge, London ones, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham.

We are fortunate in the UK to have a lot more than 6 excellent universities. No need to make a list.
Reply 1364
Based on prestige alone , it's probably:

Cambridge / Oxford
Imperial
Edinburgh
St Andrews
UCL

Otherwise, it's entirely dependent on the course. Even when considering all aspects, you probably will never get a definitive answer. The league tables are all so different e.g look at the contrast between the sunday times' and the guardian's subject tables.
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
UCL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1366
Depends on the course and the student. Universities like Durham and St Andrews are excellent and prestigious, but I'd be miserable as hell there because I really am not a small town sort of person (I live in one now and I need to leave!) so they'd not be an excellent choice for me; equally, ICL is an excellent university but no use for a humanities student, and none of the traditional 'top' universities run courses like nursing, and then there are courses like medicine where every medical degree qualifies you to be a doctor, it just depends how you want the course teaching to you. It really, really depends; there is no objective 'best'.
Original post by Manchestergraduate
C'mon there is never going to be agreement on this and you know it!

The ones that will be suggested the most are Oxbridge, London ones, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham.

We are fortunate in the UK to have a lot more than 6 excellent universities. No need to make a list.

I know there has got to be more than 6 UK universities that are said to be great and world-class, but as the thread title asks, my friend was asking the top 6 only.
Oxford
Imperial
Birmingham
Nottingham
Cambridge
LSE
1) UHI (Millenium Institute)
2) Aberdeen
3) Robert Gordon
4) Abertay Dundee
5) Dundee
6) Stirling
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kerily
Depends on the course and the student. Universities like Durham and St Andrews are excellent and prestigious, but I'd be miserable as hell there because I really am not a small town sort of person (I live in one now and I need to leave!) so they'd not be an excellent choice for me; equally, ICL is an excellent university but no use for a humanities student, and none of the traditional 'top' universities run courses like nursing, and then there are courses like medicine where every medical degree qualifies you to be a doctor, it just depends how you want the course teaching to you. It really, really depends; there is no objective 'best'.

My friend didn't say he'll go to one of those universities. He simply was asking what those UK unis that generally are regarded as the top 6.
Original post by politicaljunk
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
UCL

Looks a brilliant list to me. But is this list the general consensus in the UK?
The School of Life
It really depends on your course;
personally, i would put the order as followed;

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) LSE
4) UCL
5) Warwick
In rough order, probably...

Oxbridge
Imperial
UCL
Warwick and Durham
LSE

More than six, I know, but they're pretty much the top band
For physics I say the following unis:

Cambridge
Oxford
Lancaster
RHUL
York
Durham

Overall : Cambridge/Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
LSE
(edited 12 years ago)
Ya'll don't know ****. What the **** is st andrews :rolleyes:
London Met.
Uni of West London
Yorks in the top ten according to its website if that helps anyone...

And no offence to anyone but i think oxford and cambridge may just be a little overrated, i'm pretty sure they wouldnt be so great if they werent the first two universitys in the country... but thats just opinion :smile:... Oh and i saw Exeter mentioned. Yes its a half decent uni, but if you care about the city you're in and the people you surround yourself with... DO NOT GO THERE :smile: xx
Reply 1379
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Looks a brilliant list to me. But is this list the general consensus in the UK?

Original post by Focus08
lol, UCL/Warwick are better than Notts/Brum

What do you think of my list:

1. Liverpool John Moores
2. Leeds Met
3. Nottingham Trent
4. Sheffield Hallam
5. Manchester Met

Original post by goodnightvienna
The School of Life

Latest

Trending