The Student Room Group

Unsucessful, so want some feedback

I want feedback on why I didn't get into UCL, i.e. more specific than:

"Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your UCAS application was judged to be
not as strong as that of other applicants."

Is this an Ok email to send to them?

UCAS Personal ID: ********

Hello, I'm an unsuccessful applicant and was hoping for some specific feedback on why I was rejected. My application was deemed "not as strong as other applicants" if that helps you.

Thank you,
Name

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, it's prefectly fine to email them, and that structure seems fine, though I'd quote the whole message that was put up.
Reply 2
Champagne Supernova
Yeah, it's prefectly fine to email them, and that structure seems fine, though I'd quote the whole message that was put up.

Ahh, ok thank you.
Pheylan
Seems kinda lame.

What do you suggest? :smile:

(Try and be a little constructive! :wink:)
Reply 4
Mann18
I guess yeah.

on a serious note, they won't give you any feedback. i got rejected by kcl and manchester, both refused to give me feedback (back in 2007).
Reply 5
jakeee
on a serious note, they won't give you any feedback. i got rejected by kcl and manchester, both refused to give me feedback (back in 2007).

Thats BS, they'd better do otherwise I hope I get into KCL and I'll go over and **** **** up, but really, although I was hopeful of a place, I wasn't banking on one, I think I may be the 1st person on TSR to be rejected from UCL for law this year, which is an achievement in itself.
Reply 6
I was rejected by Oxford last year, and upon asking why, they told me that my past grades weren't up to their hoped level of standard. I ended up getting 4 As, so screw them! :p:
Reply 7
Champagne Supernova
What do you suggest? :smile:

(Try and be a little constructive! :wink:)

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am an unsuccessful applicant for [name/code of the course]. I would like to ask whether it would be possible to specify where my weaknesses lied in comparison to other applicants.

The content of the previous feedback is as followed:

[previous feedback]

My UCAS ID is: [ID]

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
[name & surname]

Such a letter sounds a lot more formal + it is more polite. OP's one was more like a letter you can send to a buddy rather than university. And from 'My application was deemed "not as strong as other applicants" if that helps you' I get the impression as though the sender was pissed at the time of writing.

Just my two cents :smile:
Reply 8
goldsilvy
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am an unsuccessful applicant for [name/code of the course]. I would like to ask whether it would be possible to specify where my weaknesses lied in comparison to other applicants.

[previous feedback]

Kind regards,
[name & surname]

Such a letter sounds a lot more formal + it is more polite. OP's one was more like a letter you can send to a buddy rather than university. And from 'My application was deemed "not as strong as other applicants" if that helps you' I get the impression as though the sender was pissed at the time of writing.

oops. I basically sent it with the whole quote this time though. Ahh, **** it, it's not as if I'm going to see them is it? I probably should have waited until I read urs, it's better than mine... :s-smilie:
goldsilvy
Dear Sir or Madam,

[previous feedback]

Kind regards,
[name & surname]

You didn't have to quote me. :wink: :p:

OP, I wouldn't worry, it's ok, and a 'standard email' I suppose. The one which goldsilvy has done, yes, is better, but what's done is done!
Reply 10
Seems like you've already made your mind up as to why anyway.
Reply 11
Skadoosh
Seems like you've already made your mind up as to why anyway.

Thats really a hope rather than an expectation. If it was my GCSEs then I still have a shot at Oxford (albeit now, much less of one) but if it was my LNAT, it's pretty much game over.
Reply 12
What were your GCSEs?
Reply 13
xSkyFire
What were your GCSEs?

They're in my profile, but for the record: 7As (English lang, lit, science, additonal science, P.E, R.E, Modern history) 2Bs (Maths and Spanish) 1.5 Cs (Foundation stats and ICT short course) so a 6.5 GCSE average.

I hope thats what screwed my app up.
You probably just have to accept that they can only offer places to a certain number of people, and they're normally going to try to get the applicants with the highest grades. It's just the way it is, but good luck with everywhere else you're applying!
Reply 15
Gemma :)!
You probably just have to accept that they can only offer places to a certain number of people, and they're normally going to try to get the applicants with the highest grades. It's just the way it is, but good luck with everywhere else you're applying!

Yeah, I'm not angry or anything (anymore...) just wondering if it was my LNAT that messed me up or my GCSEs (or horror of horrors both...)

Thank you, you too. :smile:
Reply 16
Mann18
Thats BS, they'd better do otherwise I hope I get into KCL and I'll go over and **** **** up, but really, although I was hopeful of a place, I wasn't banking on one, I think I may be the 1st person on TSR to be rejected from UCL for law this year, which is an achievement in itself.

Sorry you didnt get in. :frown:

Your GCSEs are slightly better than mine and i was thinking of applying next year but now i think i have no chance...
Reply 17
Jinxy
Sorry you didnt get in. :frown:

Your GCSEs are slightly better than mine and i was thinking of applying next year but now i think i have no chance...

Thanks, erm it might not have been my GCSEs, it may have been my LNAT, if you'd like I'll tell you what they said (if they do reply) and hopefully it may help you with your decision.
goldsilvy
Dear Sir or Madam,

[previous feedback]

Kind regards,
[name & surname]

Ahem. You do know that "lied" is not the past participle of that meaning of "lie", don't you? Let's hope he didn't follow your suggestion.
Reply 19
Mann18
Thanks, erm it might not have been my GCSEs, it may have been my LNAT, if you'd like I'll tell you what they said (if they do reply) and hopefully it may help you with your decision.

Oh i see -
So lnat results haven't come out yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending