The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
for the person who said they haddn't studied poverty, yes it is an actual area we didn't study it as if 2 allways come up, u can leave out 1 to learn i.e learn 3, so thats what we did, so don't answer poverty if u havn't done it, u can't get fuill marks
Reply 21
Well, that's not good - the night before the exam and I never knew a topic existed! So what are the other three topics that can come up then? The ones I should learn. I know gender and social class - should I learn ethnicity, too?

Please reply. I'm really worried now!
Reply 22
The topics are:
*Class
*Changes in the workplace
*Ethnicity

I havent done workplace cos it makes no sense 2 me. but u need 2 learn 4. i wud learn ethnicity if u havent its pretty small although its not likely to come up i wudnt take the risk of only knowin 2
Reply 23
Dunno if this helps this is the specification:

This module meets the requirement for synoptic assessment by assessing candidates understanding of the relationship between social inequality, the nature of sociological thought and methods of sociological enquiry. This module also re-visits the knowledge and understanding of social inequality candidates have studied throughout their course.
This module examines the underlying processes which shape the life chances of individuals and groups. The aim is to identify and explain the level and pattern of inequality in contemporary Britain, using sociological concepts, theories and evidence. The emphasis is on class, gender and ethnic inequalities.
The dimensions of workplace inequality.
Contemporary changes in the distribution of income and wealth.
Contemporary workplace inequalities. The impact of changes in the workplace on
class, gender and ethnic inequality, e.g. the flexible workforce, casualisation,
restructuring.
Workplace change and its impact upon class formation and identity.
Poverty as a dimension of inequality.
Concepts and measures of poverty.
Contemporary trends in poverty in terms of class, gender and ethnicity.
The underclass debate; theories of culture and poverty.
Explanations of inequality and difference.
Concepts of class. Material and cultural class-based explanations of inequality; neo-
Marxist and neo-Weberian.
Feminist theories. Economic and cultural theories of gender inequalities. The
restructuring of gender identities.
Definitions of race and ethnicity. Material and cultural theories of ethnic inequalities.
Ethnic identities and the impact on inequality.
Reply 24
I found some information about poverty in my AS revision guide, which is strange, but I'm not complaining! So I think I'm going to learn ethnicity and poverty, and leave out changes in the workplace because I don't have anything on that.

Hm, looks like a long night of revision ahead of me. *Gets out the coffee*

Thanks for all your advice - I appreciate it. ^_^
Reply 25
The specification makes me scared. *Pretends to not have read it.* :P
Reply 26
yeh it scared me actually didnt read it until i had posted it, i think its just worded really weirdly and it looks really short! well good luck with revision!
xxx
Reply 27
i don't think workplace inequalities in itself is a seperate section but its include across the four topics : gender, class, ethnicity and poverty. to be honest i don't have much on ethnicity apart from general knowledge of education and the reserve army of labour stuff but im banking on the fact that i write a lot. hopefully they ask about class structure changing as opposed to class conciousness. hopefully they ask about class!

i know that for poverty you have to know how it's defined...relative, absolute consensus etc and how it's measured. god who am i kidding i want class to come up and i want a class question PLZ

oh also the theory of globalisation is useful on why class might be 'dead' and class conciousness too. you can use post modernist arguments in most of the topics as an argument..they hate everything really!
Reply 28
oh with workplace inequality you could say about the decline in trade unions and so the bosses control more and about how if people ask for a pay rise they can be replaced by ethnic minorities or women
and how women sometimes aren't employed because they might get pregnant..blah blah
Reply 29
I so want class to come up - please please please! Lol - Hopefully, a nice broad question like: outline and asses sociological explanations of social class inequalities...yeah, right, like they'll give us something that easy! If it is class and it's about the changes in structure, I want it to be the middle-class changes because there is more to write about and you can talk about Marxism which I always love to write about. According to Becca boo, changes of working class structure came up last year, so fingers crossed that doesn't come up or else I'm screwed because I haven't revised that topic... >_< More than I hope for social class, I'm hoping for gender more because I have a nice little essay plan I wrote and want to put to some use.

Ah well, this exam just isn't going to plan. My last one and I can't be bothered anymore - I mean, it's an hour before I have to leave and I have ethnicity to look over and I'm sat in here replying to posts. Ugh. Hopefully I'll do better on my research paper or suddendly have an sudden intake of knowledge at the last minute from someplace and know everything...*waits*
Reply 30
Good luck guys, tell me how it went after.
Reply 31
What came up in the ocr one? In the AQA one we got a)criticisms of the Marxist approach b) how ethnicity affects life-chances c) social mobility.

Quite coolios :cool:
Reply 32
class and poverty came up, guess who thought there exam was in the afternoon and was going to have a lie in, and just thought to double check, to realise he had 20 mins to get everything ready to get bus for 9 oclock exam?
Reply 33
The class question was great :biggrin:

What q did eveyone do?
Reply 34
the class question was nasty so i did the poverty one it went okish i guess i dunno really.

just happy all exams are over!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 35
I hated the research paper - it was so horrible. My research proposal was so bad that I had loads to talk and critise about in the last question. The second paper was a bit better, but it could have gone alot better. I wasn't very happy with my essay question, it was only like three and a bit pages, which I really don't think you can get 44 marks for such little quantity. I did the class question by the way - how much did you guys get down down for your essays?

Anyway, that was my last exam, so I don't really care anymore. Wooooooooohoooo! No more exams!
Reply 36
i did the one about middle classes...i dunno i just wrote about convergance and embourgeoisiement and crap, probably spelt it wrong in the exam too, and at the end i was like YEAH YEAH IT'S RIGHT IT SHOULD BE MIDDLE CLASS but im not sure. luckily conclusions aren't as important in sociology than say history but whatever.
so glad the predictions of poverty and class were right though.

Latest

Trending

Trending