The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I will make sure to wear my retainer every day and night as I just had my braces off and retainer fitted today.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
Why do I hear people talking about having on and off treatment (yes NHS) then? I'm still 16 on a low income family so surely? I just regret it so bad, I was always bullied alot at school, depressed so I just couldn't be arsed...

And if I really can't how much would treatment cost on average...

It would literally be in the thousands.

I've done the same but luckily after accidently chipping part of the plastic bit on mine off, it fits and it's mostly as it was after my train tracks were taken off. Just one tooth is about 0.7-1mm back (and they're at different heights but that can't be helped on the NHS).
I had braces from when I was around 10ish till late yr7 high school, I was also on nhs but I wasn't told about the fact my teeth would move, I lost my top retainer and only found it around 3 months later, didn't wear it still thinking my teeth were perfect and that retainers were a waste. I had to have teeth removed to get my braces fitted and now my teeth kinda float around, it's ruining my life. I'm not saying that because I'm a typical teen with self esteem issues, I've been bullied for it, I can't eat properly, I feel paranoid and stressed constantly, I get nagging headaches. I can't even get through one day without seeing my teeth and bursting into tears. It puts me in a foul mood and I've found that I'm falling out with my mum more and more. I'm 14 and I've had issues with depression before but I feel like this issue is controlling my life, help?
When I got my retainers I was told that if I broke them or lost them I'd have to pay roughly £50 per retainer to replace them even though my treatment was through nhs, I think they only pay for one set of retainers
Reply 24
I had the same problem as you, but theres new rules on nhs braces now your teeth have to be a certain level of bad to get them on the nhs. When i went back to my orthodontist they measured my teeth and said i cant get them on the nhs because they didnt reach the mark required on the ruler they used so i ended up going for a private treatment and paying 1800 pounds to have the same treatment again. Im currently in my 6month retainer period and i havent put them in for a while so im getting myself used to wearing them again. Hope i helped
Did you ever get them sorted? Im the same
Original post by james loach
Did you ever get them sorted? Im the same

...they made the thread 8 years ago. I think they've gotten over it.

Latest