The Student Room Group

Should we use the 'Death Penalty' for serious crimes?

Poll

Should we use the 'death penalty' for acts of serious crime?

Should the United Kingdom impose the 'death sentence' for those who have committed serious crime?

eg: rape, murder, terrorism etc

Leave a comment if you wish

Scroll to see replies

Why not?? we are paying for the criminals to be in the prison for their food and prison security etc. Why shud we when they comited the crimes. If there is serious punshment surely there will be less crimes
Reply 2
Yes. Some deserve it and do not deserved a paid for holiday by the tax payer
Reply 3
alithegreat
Why not?? we are paying for the criminals to be in the prison for their food and prison security etc. Why shud we when they comited the crimes. If there is serious punshment surely there will be less crimes

Sigh, complete uninformed rubbish.

1. It is very expensive to sentance someone to death. Take a look at comparable costs over in america and you will see it is often just as, if not more expensive then keeping them in prison without appeal.

2. For crimes such as rape and murder, it has been proven that severity of punishment has very little effect. You really think a murder is going to think twice before killing their victim about the possible punishments?
Reply 4
for people like Harold Shipman, Myra Hindley etc... yes.
Reply 5
Nope. The only difference between murder and the death penalty is the fact that the people who are in power decide who lives and who dies. And I personally feel that no one should have that much authority, and if it truly were an eye for an eye then what are you going to do, rape a rapist?

It seems ridiculous and terrorists would see themselves even more so as martyrs.
No and it's never going to happen.
Yes, premeditated murder, treason and terrorism.
Reply 8
I think that death penalty should only be used for violent unspeakable crime that the guilty party would otherwise be in prison for the rest of his life, and that guilt is absolutely assured, like if he confessed or actual video footage of the crime. Because its rare but not unheard of people getting set free after new evidence proves them innocent, wouldn't want to execute them, only to prove them innocent later.
No, we shouldn't kill as punishment. :/

Besides, they would suffer more if the prison life was made unbearable. :wink: Prisons should be made so bad that they actually want to die. Don't kill them, make them suffer.
Reply 10
State Murder of murderers? No thanks, if you want to kill an individual that killed a loved one then by all means be my guest, it is your choice. But don't think you can get away with murder by asking the state to do it for you. I think the worse thing is that advocates of the death penalty are willing to give the state the power to legally take the life of it's citizens. It astounds me.
Reply 11
A couple of comments

1/ The death penalty is not a cheaper option
2/ The death penalty can kill innocent people
3/ The death penalty is not a deterrent
4/ The death penalty is a quick retribution and doesn't make the individual suffer for 20 years!
5. The death penalty doesn't make an income. If you force prisoners to work, they can earn money for the prison!!!

EffieFlowers

Besides, they would suffer more if the prison life was made unbearable. :wink: Prisons should be made so bad that they actually want to die. Don't kill them, make them suffer.

^^ This is a girl after my own heart!
She has nailed it!

Retribution!!!
Aeolus
State Murder of murderers? No thanks, if you want to kill an individual that killed a loved one then by all means be my guest, it is your choice. But don't think you can get away with murder by asking the state to do it for you. I think the worse thing is that advocates of the death penalty are willing to give the state the power to legally take the life of it's citizens. It astounds me.

Dit to the O.
Reply 13
35mm_
Dit to the O.

:zomg: We agree on something!
Aeolus
:zomg: We agree on something!

It does seem, however, that you don't want "The State" involved in anything.
EffieFlowers

Why is it wrong to kill as a punishment but perfectly acceptable to make someone's life hell?
yes! 100% there are some things that cant be forgiven
in fact why not give the death penalty to the murders or rapists family members, that would be a deterrent, and force them to watch
alithegreat

:facepalm: please, please do some proper research before you go spouting rubbish...
Reply 19
No, we should stop locking people up for petty crimes like taking drugs :x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending