The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1
Gexko
I'm gonna try and see if I can make an anonymous poll, but I thought it would be interesting to see what sort of percentage of people who put/ are putting Wills as their first choice hall went to public/state school.

Hopefully we might see whether it really is a 'rah' halls...

I'm private school and wills is my first choice. I'm not applying because its a rah hall or I think more people from private school will go there. I'm applying because of the facilities (gym etc) and the fact that they cater for special diets (i'm wheat and lactose intolerant).
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I'm from a state school...

or at least i was.... my exams are over and i'm free!!

Oh, btw... Is there anyone else here that still hasn't send their accommodation forms off? I'll probably get my done this coming weekend now that the exams are over.
Reply 3
I somehow managed to get mine done a while ago, but I dont think they look at them till after the deadline neway, so its probably not a problem.

I thought the facilities were great when i had a look round, but I do hear a lot of stuff about it being very public school from people there. I suspect its just a reputation thats hard to get rid of, and frankly i dont really care, but it should be interesting to see the demographic (from TSR at least).
Reply 4
yes they wait till everyones is in before processing
Reply 5
hiya guys, i don't know if you've all put in the application form yet but i though i bit of insider info would be helpful. The best blocks in old quad are j,k,l and m. I've been there for 2 years and it has become a home from home and would definately reccommend wills.

tips to get in

mention a feature of hall that isn't available in other halls

eg - sports facilities, formal meals

say why you would contruibute to hall life. The warden does not want a hall full of booring people.

drama's been strong in the last couple of years so if you've been involved and are willing to get involved again put it on the form.

don't go on about accademic stuff on your form.

Don't lie... it will live to haunt you becuase unliek other hall's donald (the warden) actually makes an effort to place people in hall according to what they write about themselves so if you lie and say you've been running for england for 8 years and you end up in a block of really sporty people you only have yourself to blame. Also the warden has lists of people with x talents (eg music/drama) and you will probably be contacted over the year to take part in some sort of hall event.

email th warden and ask for more information and this will get your name recognised.

Tips for life at wills if you do get in

1) buy the hall clothing, you'll regret it if you don't, especially on the pubcrawl when your one of a minority that isn't wearing a "highly attractive" wils hall pub crawl t-shirt. Also on this note, the gowns are compulsory for formal meals and formal meals are the best bit of wills so you would be a fool to miss out (and you can sell them back at the end of the year)

2) work behind the bar. you only have to do a shift evert 2 weeks if you want. the pays ok (4.25 with a complicated sysytem of bonuses depending how much the bar takes) but its a great way of meeting people and earning a bit of extra cash

3) talk to sue smith (the secretary) - she is lovely and is like a serrogate mum for the ones that get to know her (i've been in there with friends discussing relationships and virtually everything under the sun). shes also a fab source of gossip.

4) buy tickets for events. Don't be stingy. no-one likes ticket selling and its really hard work when people are ungrateful/lazy. by the end of the year there will be a core group of peopel that go to all the events the jcr put on and these same people tend to do everything in hall. there will be others that are too concnerned with breaking a nail to go to a fancy dress party.

5) don't be ungrateful to the jcr. last year we worked so hard for freshers week and one night things went a tad wrong and we coudln't get into a certain club that we had advertised so we got priority entry for a different one. This sounds fairly non important but some people (mainly drunken guys) started heavily abusing the ents rep and made her cry. Just because you are pissed doesn't mean you can treat people (especially those that have worked thier bums off for nothing) in a really bad way.

6) when they say no fairy lights they mean you can have them as long as you don't get court. This basically means avoiding cleaners. You wither have to have a scummy room all year or take your lights down every two weeks. I was stupid and left mine up over the xmas holls and when i came back they were gone.

7) get to know the warden and his dog. go and chat to him, he maybe a 60 year old man but he wil happily go out with the students clubbing (if he's invited) and spends a lot of time chatting in the bar to the students and on the odd occasion share a cigarre.

8) this year wills bar is non smoking excpet cigarres on a friday night (random rule yes i know)

9) find the book room... it is the best place to work and every year it doesn't get discovered by the majority of students unitl exam time.

10) fire alarms in the middle of the night will happen. take a few minutes to put on a coat and shoes. Normally we're out there for at least 30 mins to 2h and at 4 am that can get pretty cold.

11) go to the bookroom and read the archives. They are basically a photo collection of the last 75 years (and i did this year's one so have a vested interest) this is useful because if you see an event that looked fun you can nagg the jcr and if they have the money they will proabably run it.

12) the penny game.... at foraml meals technically drinking games are banned. however, a formal meal wouldn't be a formal meal without downing a bottle of wine. How to play...

if you get a penny in someones glass while they are holding it they have to down their drink. If you miss or they wern't touching the glass you have to down it (theres also a version with food but that can get quite nasty). That said, don't do anythign too stupid because they will happily ban people from formals for at least a month and it really isn't worth it.

also for formals make an effort. its nice to have a chance to dress up.

13) get involved in all aspects of hall life. you'll take out what you put in and if you do nothing and only talk to people from a select class/ interest group then you have gained nothing by coming to university and living in halls. If you are prepared to put in a bit of effort then you will have the most amazing time.

good luck guys
Emms xx
Reply 6
Thanks a lot for all that, its really helpful. Makes me wanna get in even more now, wish i'd thought of saying something specifically that Wills has that other halls dont in my letter, tho i might have done, i cant really remember anymore.

:smile:
Reply 7
Oh and its good to see the way the poll is going, seems to back up my cunning theory that the public school halls thing is probably rubbish.
Phil_D
I'm from a state school...

or at least i was.... my exams are over and i'm free!!

Oh, btw... Is there anyone else here that still hasn't send their accommodation forms off? I'll probably get my done this coming weekend now that the exams are over.

I've yet to do mine yet too, don't worry! I've just had absolutely no time what with exams an stuff! x
Reply 9
Tbh, Wills isn't any more 'private school' than Churchill. It is a lot more pretentious (no walking on the quad, no singing in formals...)

It's the best hall, but then I would say that, since I just spent a year there. But watch out for the rah rah attitude, as it does exists.

Seconded on the buying wills clothing - i never did :frown: gutting, eh?
Reply 10
there goes my theory shot down in flames before crashing into the ground then smoldering slowly for a while...

still i like my poll.

its fun.

oh well.

Haz
Reply 11
Gexko
there goes my theory shot down in flames before crashing into the ground then smoldering slowly for a while...

still i like my poll.

its fun.

oh well.

Haz

no i think your theory is right, although it depends on the year group. this year churchill was most definately the rahh hall. just as a quick example there were 29 etonians there and 4 in wills (yes i know im a mountain of useless information)

yes there will be rahhs but at the same time notall of them are to be avoided. in my experience though the super rahhs keep themselves to themsleves and don't participate in events so if you really want to avoid them you can. now when i say rahh i don't necessarily mean private school people i just mean the extremes that think people that went to state schools are drug dealers and spend more money on hair and make up than the average person gets in a year. For example there was a girl in my block that never made any effort with the rest of us, stole food and in general was an anti social pain in the arse
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice, Emms. Very interesting.
Reply 13
emom100
no i think your theory is right, although it depends on the year group. this year churchill was most definately the rahh hall. just as a quick example there were 29 etonians there and 4 in wills (yes i know im a mountain of useless information)

yes there will be rahhs but at the same time notall of them are to be avoided. in my experience though the super rahhs keep themselves to themsleves and don't participate in events so if you really want to avoid them you can. now when i say rahh i don't necessarily mean private school people i just mean the extremes that think people that went to state schools are drug dealers and spend more money on hair and make up than the average person gets in a year. For example there was a girl in my block that never made any effort with the rest of us, stole food and in general was an anti social pain in the arse

Hurray my theory's back in the game (small pleasures make my gap year survivable).

I have to agree that private school people aren't to be avoided as if everyone did then I won't know anyone...

But yes, I detest the sort of insanely over the top sort of 3 million pound house in london and my first car was a porche person who won't associate with anyone who's daddy isnt in the times rich list. Admittedly have only met one or two and their not too bad when they're not drunk.

Give me an all terrain forklift truck any day over a sports car.

I passed my test for one (forklift not the car) just now. How odd am i?

Haz
Reply 14
I sent my form off ages ago, has anyone got the reply splip back yet? i havn't.
Reply 15
Zakatu
I sent my form off ages ago, has anyone got the reply splip back yet? i havn't.

Yeah, got mine about 10 days after I sent it off I think. Took long enough that i forgot about it neway.

Haz
Reply 16
darn, its been about 3 weeks/

I don't suppose you applied really early for it?

now i'm getting worried. :frown:
Reply 17
I'm sending my application off tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll get there in good time. I'm sending it a week before the deadline afterall.
Reply 18
Zakatu
darn, its been about 3 weeks/

I don't suppose you applied really early for it?

now i'm getting worried. :frown:

Actually yes I did. I'm on a gap year, so have too much time on my hands.

Plus a mate of mine was doing his too, so motivated me.

I expect they've got some massive back log now.

Haz

Latest

Trending

Trending