The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Death
Which Maths A-level did you take knowing that it may help you with a law degree? I have been told that Core and Statistics is good for social sciences. True or False? What do most law students take for Maths?

Very little difference between the maths A levels mate! Certainly not enough to even remotely influence your ability at law. Choose what appeals to you - it'll be a choice between statistics, mechanics and "decision making" maths.

For a start, its likely you'll only get a choice of one or 2 modules MAX.

I took P1, P2, P3, S1, M1 and chose M2. (p is pure btw, the predecessor to the "core" modules)

I'm pretty sure that you'll take C1, C2, C3 and C4 as part of your maths A level. You *might* get a choice as to your 2 applied modules. Don't count on it though.

Tbh, it doesn't matter what you choose ... it doesn't matter greatly. You might find yourself inclined towards statistics or mechanics ... (d1 is stupid, according to some of my friends), depending on how your mind works.

You certainly are far too interested in the impact of subjects onto law ... it doesn't matter really, so long as they are academic! Law requires non specific subjects; and tbh university admissions won't care what you took. You are fine!
Definitely choose whatever interests you most... you'll be more likely to get your A then :smile:
Reply 3
Onearmedbandit
Definitely choose whatever interests you most... you'll be more likely to get your A then :smile:

well, in that case ... you'll grow to hate core (like i hated pure)
try and obtain the solution of x^2 dy/dx=cosec(y)sec(y) :wink:

statistics will be deathly boring (you'll spend long summer days clawing through distribution tables and hoping you haven't made a small mistake on the ridiculously complicated pearson's correlation). Fairly simple ... but easy to make mistakes in.

mechanics is about as fun as maths gets ... certainly, if you think logically it can be moderately enjoyable. (it's surprisingly similar to physics actually)
Reply 4
Yeah it seems that the majority of the people opt for mechanics. Everybody says it's more interesting. But I have heard it can be also very difficult. Therefore wouldn't it be a wiser decision to do S1 and S2 where I will probably stand a higher chance of getting an A?
Reply 5
Death
Yeah it seems that the majority of the people opt for mechanics. Everybody says it's more interesting. But I have heard it can be also very difficult. Therefore wouldn't it be a wiser decision to do S1 and S2 where I will probably stand a higher chance of getting an A?

1. What other people say doesn't matter
2. What the majority of people do doesn't matter
3. Whether it's more interesting doesn't matter
4. Whether it can be difficult doesn't matter
5. Whether doing different modules would be more wise doesn't matter

6. Doing what YOU will do best in (personally and academically) DOES matter.

There's no need for countless threads on 'is Classical Civilisation good for Law?', 'Is Maths good for Law?', 'What A Levels should I take'... I mean please, we've helped you out enough now.

Good luck.
Reply 6
I have trouble counting and I got accepted ok. :smile:
Reply 7
There's no need for countless threads on 'is Classical Civilisation good for Law?', 'Is Maths good for Law?', 'What A Levels should I take'... I mean please, we've helped you out enough now.
Sorry, I didn't realise I was that kind of a nuisance.
Reply 8
Death
Sorry, I didn't realise I was that kind of a nuisance.

No you're not. :smile: I did AS maths and I chose Maths pure with stats (2 pure modules and 1 stats module). Dropped it for a-level, didn't have a problem getting into law school. Loads of my friends who've applied for law didn't do maths because they hated it. Just do whatever subjects you are most likely to get A's in (within reason, do subjects that require work). Just make sure before you decide, that law is what you want to do (don't change your mind at the last minute and decided to do medicine. My friend did that and had to do the whole chemistry a-level in a year). Law applicants do a variety of subjects and they are all on an even field when it comes to getting in. Do what you enjoy and make the most of it while you can! (My last day of exams and school forever today, feeling a bit deflated).
Reply 9
At the risk of being told that what I say doesn't matter :smile: , I would advise you to take at least 1 stats module.

I don't know what syllabus/specification is available to you, and I don't know what your future career plans are, but it is often observed that lawyers/solicitors/barristers would benefit from improved statistical awareness (as would much of the general public, to be honest).

If there's any possibility that you might in the future have to evaluate a legal argument involving probability/stats (or if you ever had to present a case in court that was founded on an argument about the "likelihood" of something happening) then you will find it beneficial.

Of course, if you were doing maths "out of interest", then I would concur with your view about doing Mechanics - it's much more fun.
Reply 10
Don't worry. I won't be changing my mind. I have wanted to be a lawyer ever since I found out what a lawyer is. In actual fact I will definitely not change my mind to do medicine as I have stubbornly argued with my parents and grandparents who have persistently tried their hardest to convince me to become a doctor.
PS. Congrats on your last day :smile:
Reply 11
Death
Don't worry. I won't be changing my mind. I have wanted to be a lawyer ever since I found out what a lawyer is. In actual fact I will definitely not change my mind to do medicine as I have stubbornly argued with my parents and grandparents who have persistently tried their hardest to convince me to become a doctor.
PS. Congrats on your last day :smile:

Thanks!
Fair enough if you're sure. :biggrin: Hope you have fun deciding! I was going to do physics and then changed to maths on the first day of sixth form, thats how indecisive I am, lol!
Reply 12
Thanks davros...that's the kind of replies I was looking for!!

And enough with all this about doing what I like most etc...I told you several million times before I enjoy all subjects equally and will probably get the same grades at IGCSE for all the subjects I want to take at A-level.
Reply 13
Death
Thanks davros...that's the kind of replies I was looking for!!

And enough with all this about doing what I like most etc...I told you several million times before I enjoy all subjects equally and will probably get the same grades at IGCSE for all the subjects I want to take at A-level.

AS's and A2's are in a different league to GCSE's though. It's harder to get down to studying and get the grades you need if you don't enjoy them. I wish I hadn't done most of the subjects I did. I only did them because I thought they were much more beneficial for the future but in the end struggled to do the revision in the first year of sixth form (I'm much more disciplined now).
If you really just want to do what subjects are best, I'd choose maths, definitely stats not mechanics, and also definitely an essay subject (english, economics etc). If you have the opportunity, do critical thinking as an extra, it really helps with the LNAT. They're introducing the A2 now as well as the AS so you can actually carry it through and get a whole a-level.
Sorry about this, but I am going to be blunt.

It does NOT matter which mathematics modules you take. There is NO difference in the abilities gained that will be relevant to a prospective lawyer.

As a student; perhaps, but not as a lawyer. You will find that you will forget what you learned in either module within a matter of months anyway; the abilities will become lost. What davros said was merely speculation; and I think you'll find that the skills gained in a S1 or S2 module are not going to be of any significance to your legal career.

I also believe that you are asking for trouble by attempting to judge the mathematics modules worth. Mathematics is one of the hardest, if not the hardest A level. You only have to look at the number of exceptional students getting appalling marks within individual modules to see that. There is a huge disparity in the marks of modules; and much of what causes this is a lack of ability or understanding of a particular type of mathematics.

My friend managed to gain marks of 91%, 87% and 61% his AS level. He managed to score the 61% in statistics, as he admits, because he is less able at it.

Look. By far the most important thing is that you get the highest grade possible in your mathematics. You might struggle at statistics; many do (people are willing, in further maths, do take up to M5 to avoid doing statistics modules), and by pressurising yourself to take it because you believe it might be more useful may lead you to neglect the possibility of getting high grades in a different module.

Take what you enjoy, NOT what you think is best for your career. It is most advantageous to achieve highly.

Besides; you probably won't get a choice of modules in the first year, so this discussion has probably been a waste of time. Decide after you take an applied module whether you like it or not.

The debate as to whether mathematics is useful for law certainly is a minor issue enough. The debate as to what types of mathematics are useful for law is completely worthless.
Reply 15
Death
Which Maths A-level did you take knowing that it may help you with a law degree? I have been told that Core and Statistics is good for social sciences. True or False? What do most law students take for Maths?

Logical Reasoning

The cores are the last thing you should take for a career based on law.
Math will just fry your brain.
I agree with Lotello.

Stop being such wusses. It doesnt little difference which A levels you take for most unis, let alone which modules! :rofl: :rolleyes:
Reply 17
OK, OK you've convinced me. But it is a little difficult to choose as I have only barely tasted statistics and even less of mechanics in Maths GCSE, therefore I find it difficult to decide which one I will enjoy most. This is why I wanted to know if it made any difference.
Dont choose M2.
C1, C2, C4 and C4 with M1 and S1 sounds really easy. Do that.

i did the pures...so I had to do M2 (AHRGH)
Reply 19
But I have heard it can be also very difficult.

Mechanics really isn't difficult. I always found it easier than statistcis. I have done P1, M1, S1, P2, P3 and M2. The mechanics exams were the easiest of them.

Latest

Trending

Trending