Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

**Official** Euro 2012 Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surprised nobody has started a thread about the actual final tournament itself especially considering we are only 12 months away.

Expectations, anyone?

It is obvious that Spain, Germany and Holland will be the overwhelming favourites especially considering the quality of their squads and results in recent years but I am very sure Italy will be resurgent. Yes they failed in SA 2010 but that was because the squad was too old and in transition. I see some good younger players coming through and I believe Gli Azzuri can make it similar to Euro 2000 when few people expected them to do so well.

Surprise packages - I am tempted to name Croatia, Russia and Turkey least not because of how they impressed in 2008 yet embarrassingly all of them failed to qualify for 2010 and so the novelty surprise factor may have worn off. But I still would fancy Croatia to spring a surprise or two and maybe Sweden as well as this will surely be one of Zlatan's last chances to shine in a big tournament.

I would love to see both Poland and Ukraine reach the quarters at least, obviously because it is great to see the home teams do well but does anyone think it can happen?

Do not fancy England, France or Portugal at all thank you (I am hoping Portugal fail to qualify full stop! Without you-know-who they do struggle) and anyone suggesting France are coming back as a force (I have seen many posts on this forum suggesting that) seem way off the mark. They cannot beat Belarus home or away and there seem to be some gaps in quality at the moment. I would wait till Euro 2016 (when they are indeed the home team) to see Les Bleus as a force to be reckoned with.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    we are 12 months away.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    England will fall short..AGAIN.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few months ago I saw someone start a 2014 World Cup thread full of speculation about how's gonna win etc, now THAT is a bit far away! This is much nearer the mark.

Oh, and if not careful England could really get dumped out in the first round and lose against never mind any of the big guns but even against someone people don't expect to like maybe, erm, Scotland.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well lets look at it this way.

Teams (likely): Poland, Ukraine, Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Netherlands, Greece, England, Portugal, Spain, Slovakia, Serbia, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic.

Teams likely to reach semis: Germany, Spain, Netherlands, outsider (probably France or may be one of the hosts).

In my opinion i think Germany will win Euro 2012... That is all.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope England fail to qualify. It will improve the quality of the tournament
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it too hard to look past Germany. Though I may be baised as they are my favorite team. (Ireland haven't quailfied for anything since 2002, so I support Germany in most competitions).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forex)
    Well lets look at it this way.

Teams (likely): Poland, Ukraine, Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Netherlands, Greece, England, Portugal, Spain, Slovakia, Serbia, Sweden, Croatia, Czech Republic.

Teams likely to reach semis: Germany, Spain, Netherlands, outsider (probably France or may be one of the hosts).

In my opinion i think Germany will win Euro 2012... That is all.
    The teams in bold are certainly on a knife-edge to qualify, and do not forget that we have no idea what the play-offs will be like. Even the likes of Montenegro, Belarus, Scotland and the two Irelands have as good a chance as any of being in a play-off.

(Original post by dnumberwang)
    I hope England fail to qualify. It will improve the quality of the tournament
    Considering that most tournaments where England have done really well or made a big impression have been rather ****e (1990, 1996, 2002 and 2004 spring to mind) I don't think that is something that would distress me!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pre-empted this thread by over 18 months :gah:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1099117
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Germany or Holland will probably win this one but France are definitely coming back. Belarus is not a reason to suggests otherwise, we might of draw against them but we're still ahead in the group and haven't got much to worry about.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Italy, this time around, is not a team to overlook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I pre-empted this thread by over 18 months :gah:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1099117
    Faaaaaakin ell mate, the world cup haden't even started then.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmJtr)
    Faaaaaakin ell mate, the world cup haden't even started then.
    I believe it was created on the back of Thierry's wonderful handball to send France crashing through to the world cup party :sogood:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=robocop1andahalf;31940521]The teams in bold are certainly on a knife-edge to qualify, and do not forget that we have no idea what the play-offs will be like. Even the likes of Montenegro, Belarus, Scotland and the two Irelands have as good a chance as any of being in a play-off.

Your right anything can happen in the play-offs (i.e Ireland vs France WC) but i think the likes of Greece, Portugal, Czech etc... will be cabable of doing the job.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Problem, England?
    Switzerland should have won that. Barnetta was amazing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spain will win the Euro 2012 and possibly the next world cup.
    Mark my words.Their youth is just AMAZING.

Likely 2014 squad:

De Gea
    Ramos Pique Muniesa Fontas

Busquests
    Alcantara (Thiago) Alcantara (Rafinha)

Canales

Bojan Pedro

Subs: Iniesta(will still be around),Defoleu,Barta,Llorent,ca rzola
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbf Xavi will probably still be there too unless he retires from international football. At 34 it's not like he'll lose anything other than pace which he more than makes up for in other areas. Iniesta will be 30 whilst Silva and Fabregas will have broken through by then too. Sounds ridiculous even saying that considering how good they are.

What a squad :sogood:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Spain will win the Euro 2012 and possibly the next world cup.
    Mark my words.Their youth is just AMAZING.

Likely 2014 squad:

De Gea
    Ramos Pique Muniesa Fontas

Busquests
    Alcantara (Thiago) Alcantara (Rafinha)

Canales

Bojan Pedro

Subs: Iniesta(will still be around),Defoleu,Barta,Llorent,ca rzola
    Looks weak compared to a possible german squad to be honest. I wonder wether we´ll see a new generation of dutch players soon as well, they´re current big players aren´t getting younger either.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catilina)
    Looks weak compared to a possible german squad to be honest. I wonder wether we´ll see a new generation of dutch players soon as well, they´re current big players aren´t getting younger either.
    Have you seen the Alcantara brothers play?
    Pedro is 23 and firing 20 goals a season.
    Bojan lost confidence this season but let's not forget he scored over 300 goals during his youth career.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.