The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mikesgt2
Nice theory... but I have straight A's and applied on 10th October yet I have an offer from Bristol.

My theory's that Bristol may reject amazing candidates who they're 95% sure will get into Oxbridge. If you have A's that doesn't exactly mean you're guaranteed a place these days. Eg someone I know with 7As, DofE Gold etc etc was rejected from Bristol and LSE, cos they'd have been sure he'd have applied to Oxbridge and he'd be accepted.
Tina
i havent heard from LSE yet.....the thing is they take on a lot of international students - 50% so thats y so many people get rejected

I don't think that's a main reason why English students get rejected, the 50% of students from overseas reflects a similar proportion who apply there.
Reply 22
Jools
I don't think that's a main reason why English students get rejected, the 50% of students from overseas reflects a similar proportion who apply there.

oh no i didnt mean thats the main reason....but it must be a factor......dont forget international students = more money!
Reply 23
If you get rejected from Paisley that is when you need to be worried!
Reply 24
Serves you right for being English.
Jools
Increase offers = Increase Offers:Places available ratio = a lot more scope for 'getting it wrong' eg oversubscribed courses, then having to teach say 200 students when you've only been given money for 120.

But surely if they're so convinced that these really good people are going to get into Oxbridge that they actually reject them because of it, then it shouldn't make any difference to give them all offers on the off-chance that a few don't get in....
Tina
oh no i didnt mean thats the main reason....but it must be a factor......dont forget international students = more money!

Blatantly... 1 in 5 freshers at our college are from Oriental countries!
NEXTadamSMITH
I can't believe it, top gcse grades (well almost) and A's at AS and predicted for A's.
And guess what, yep..LSE rejected me today. Those B******s.
oh well, roll on cambridge interview.
Well i should look on bright side, nottingham and warwick have accpeted me and birmingham.

Bastard ( :tongue: ) Warwick rejected me for English Lit without interview and i got 7A* and 3A at GCSE, am predicted 3 As at A level and do all the extra curricular stuff, music, DofE, volunteering etc. I sent in my form on the 3rd Oct so i guess they could have thought i was applying for Oxbridge, even tho i didn't... :mad: Oh well...I know my grades were not a precursor to a place but i did think i'd get an interview. And i know my personal statement and reference weren't that bad, lol.
Reply 28
you are all being rather unfair towards universities. i mean, there are just so many students with straight A predictions (many of whom aren't even that bright to be honest).

if you have good predicted grades and more importantly, a brilliant personal statement, unis will give you offers regardless of whether they think you are applying to oxbridge. And that's the truth.
lyd

if you have good predicted grades and more importantly, a brilliant personal statement, unis will give you offers regardless of whether they think you are applying to oxbridge. And that's the truth.

It would be nice if that were true. Not meaning to blow my own trumpet, the Oxbridge tutor at my school (i didn't even apply to oxbridge) said my personal statement was excellent and one of the best she'd seen for english. Obviously there could have been something about my form the admissions tutor didn't like, but i honestly think uni entrance is a COMPLETE lottery for able candidates applying to oversubscribed courses, such as English Lit, like myself.
lyd
you are all being rather unfair towards universities. i mean, there are just so many students with straight A predictions (many of whom aren't even that bright to be honest).

plus, students don't get straight A predictions if they're not bright. It takes a lot of skill and hard work, so don't knock it.
Reply 31
lottery or not, my point was that the decision is not based on whether someone may or may not have applied to oxbridge (which was what the other posters were saying).

also, i am speaking from experience when i say you don't have to be that bright to get straight As. I got all As and I am not particularly bright, i just happen to have a good short term memory. A levels reward hard work and/or memorising ability, but it is not particularly indicative of intelligence.
Reply 32
Jools
This is a common problem, but see it from Bristol's viewpoint. They only have a limited number of places thus offers they can give out and thousands of people applying. So when they see a candidate with brilliant credentials, they may think 'Well he's probably applied to Oxbridge and will almost definitely get in and not go to Bristol even if he got an offer', and they're probably right 75% of the time.

Does that mean bristol thought i wouldn't have gotten into oxford when they gave me an offer?
elpaw
Does that mean bristol thought i wouldn't have gotten into oxford when they gave me an offer?

I didn't say that - to my knowledge the massive oversubscription problem at Bristol (and elsewhere) is for English, History etc, it doesn't apply to the Sciences. I'll stop talking crap now :biggrin:
Jools
I didn't say that - to my knowledge the massive oversubscription problem at Bristol (and elsewhere) is for English, History etc, it doesn't apply to the Sciences. I'll stop talking crap now :biggrin:

Lol that would help lol :biggrin: :tongue:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 35
quote lyd
"if you have good predicted grades and more importantly, a brilliant personal statement, unis will give you offers regardless of whether they think you are applying to oxbridge. And that's the truth."

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BOLLOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

err straight A's and a personal statement as tight as a nut about as entuasiastic about my subject as possible including as much extra curriculum as is physically possible incorpriating sport, prefect, senior prefect, head of house, music, drama, vounteering and national level sport outside school..............and oooo i got rejected without an interview! soooo..... take that back!
emzie
quote lyd
"if you have good predicted grades and more importantly, a brilliant personal statement, unis will give you offers regardless of whether they think you are applying to oxbridge. And that's the truth."

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BOLLOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

errr not its not, i know lots of people who got offers from oxbridge *and*lse, bristol etc. i agree with lyd, perhaps you came over as arrogant and insincere? too many ec's can also be a bad thing..
rah
errr not its not, i know lots of people who got offers from oxbridge *and*lse, bristol etc. i agree with lyd, perhaps you came over as arrogant and insincere? too many ec's can also be a bad thing..

This supports my view that it's a complete lottery - i have a friend who applied for English Lit. So far she has heard from 4 of the unis she applied to - all top notch unis, including Bristol - and has offers from all 4. Her personal statement was one of the most arrogant i've EVER read, and she does a huge amount of extra curricular activities, which would suggest that your view is incorrect.
I think a lot also depends on your background. I know Bristol have openly admitted that they do this, but I'm sure that certain other unis also weigh up candidates' backgrounds when making offers. Say there are four well-qualified candiates applying for one place. They all have straight A predictions, excellent extra-curricular achievements, etc. Three of them have been to high-achieving independent schools and come from well-off families with a history of higher education, whereas the other candidate comes from an inner city comp and a low income family. Many unis would choose the candidate from the state school background because, even if his or her academic record may at first seem slightly less impressive that that of the others, when this is weighed against their background it is probably more impressive. If someone gets AAA from a school where this is the norm, those kind of grades are still great but not as impressive as someone who gets AAA from a school whose average achievement is DDD. This might account in part for some of the perceived anomolies in university admissions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
emzie
i got rejected from bristol for geog wiv 6A* 4A, AAAA predicted A2 overall ave 97.5% geog as level. skool said they prop rejected me coz they thought i would get an offer from oxford, (they so kno im applying there i mean straight a's b4 15th oct) the annoying thing is i want to go to bristol more than oxford! GRR!

Emzie, why would want Bristol over Oxford, assumingly that you are offered a place. Isn't Oxford supposed to be better?

Mul

Latest

Trending

Trending