The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like an attempt to make yourself feel better about being selfish.
I disagree. Strongly.
Abhead
Sounds like an attempt to make yourself feel better about being selfish.

How so?
Very true.
Except in the case of Children In Need most of the money goes to the poor in Britain I believe.
blinkbelle
I disagree. Strongly.

Why? Terry Wogan - need I say moar?
Reply 6
Dont understand the poor people in rich countries bit tbh, if poor is defined as parents earning combined £30,000 + or whatever the average middle class household is, I hate to think how we classify people on £8,000 salaries
So true.
Deinstituionalisation
My Dad said this to me. Kind of true though, especially with regards to tonight's Children in Need.

I don't understand. Explain please?
Reply 9
How does this work exactly?
black_mamba
I don't understand. Explain please?

:frown:

Edit: If you weren't being sarcastic: most of the money raised from Children in Need comes from working class homes whilst the middle class see themselves as above such a program; the money raised eventually ends up going to the corrupt officials in Africa/Asia.
Reply 11
kind of true, I would never donate to any charity, charity begins at home. I would rather act like a dragon guarding a pot of gold then give a single penny to scroungers.
If it's given as cash to governments then yes but if it's used to buy aid which is then distributed correctly then no. Poor people do generally tend to donate a higher proportion of their income than their middle/upper class counterparts.
black_mamba
Charity is poor people in rich countries giving to rich people in poor countries.

I don't get it.

What don't you get? I think you're being facetious.
Deinstituionalisation
Why? Terry Wogan - need I say moar?

Moar? More.

What has Terry Wogan got to do with anything?

Firstly, I think the majorty of money raised through charity probably comes from massive donations/events which are funded by upper middle classes; e.g. charity auctions, balls, events etc.

Secondly, the charities I donate to do not benefit middle class people in poor countries. I don't see how people who have no clean water source are middle class? I do donate to Amnesty who obviously work for all different kinds of class of people; but I think when your human rights are being violated then the class system goes out of the window.
Deinstituionalisation

Edit: If you weren't being sarcastic: most of the money raised from Children in Need comes from working class homes whilst the middle class see themselves as above such a program; the money raised eventually ends up going to the corrupt officials in Africa/Asia.

Wow is it really that hard to believe some of us needed some explaination. Cynical or what. :rolleyes: Thanks for clarifying though, I agree. :smile:
black_mamba
Charity is poor people in rich countries giving to rich people in poor countries.

I don't get it.

It's kind of wrong because I think stuff like children in need doesn't give it to the corrupt governments and give it to the charities for them to spend correctly.

But stuff like our government giving them billions to the african government is stupid because the government spend it on their stupid agendas and don't give it to the poor.
Reply 17
Where is the evidence that "poor" people give more money to charity?

It may well be true but come on you can't just make unsubstantiated claims!
Reply 18
Deinstituionalisation

I don't understand how the money ends up in the hands of corrupt officials? If you simply hand out cheques, I can understand that this could end up in the wrong place. But, say, making sure people in the third world have access to clean water or distributing food, how would these things benefit the rich in poor countries?
JW92
I don't understand how the money ends up in the hands of corrupt officials? If you simply hand out cheques, I can understand that this could end up in the wrong place. But, say, making sure people in the third world have access to clean water or distributing food, how would these things benefit the rich in poor countries?

Because then they get to spend the country's GDP on their mansions.

Latest

Trending

Trending