The Student Room Group

Will my crime show up on CRB?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Revd. Mike
A caution isn't a 'criminal' record, it's a police record. There is a distinction.

Yes there is.

On a normal, standard CRB check - only criminal convictions will show up. The OP's fine / caution / 1 night in a cell will not.

On an enhanced CRB check, like that done for teachers - all police records of cautions and fines will show up. So the OP's D&D fine will appear.

Whether this makes you 'screwed' OP, I don't know. Maybe just call and ask in honesty.
Reply 21
You should have thought about your future before you decided to do a very stupid thing when you were 17.
For being arrested you will need a special travelers visa to go to the USA.
On an enhanced disclosure CRB it will come up.

You need to declare it as a Spent conviction.
It may not show up at this stage, but I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that if you're going into teaching, your employer will be made aware of this. Teaching is probably the profession (besides medicine, perhaps) where you'll be most scrutinised and investigated. Whether this means you're 'screwed' or not I can't comment on, but I can say that you won't be able to hide it even if you try.
Reply 25
Anything like this should show up on a CRB check, the one i have says it shows convictions including cautions, mine is an enhanced disclosure, I don't have any convictions and have never had any run ins with the police so i can't comment on what does and doesn't show up from personal experience but i know others who have had cautions for different things that have shown up.

A mate of mine from school got a caution for peeing in the street when he was 18 on a night out - he is now a Dr so it obviously didn't stop him from studying medicine and working for the NHS.

Anther mate of mine got a caution from a policeman for stealing traffic cones in a drunken game - she is now teaching. In her case it was more mischievous than anything else so i suppose the policeman was probably a bit OTT, he could have just told her to put them back, she was caught in the act so to speak.

My point is that yes it should show up on your CRB but it may not cause you a problem. It all depends on the circumstances. They may just put it down to a stupid thing you did when you were younger and forget about it.

I once worked for a company where we did CRB checks on employees. We had a guy on our books who had been tried for manslaughter. Sounds really bad but the circumstances were unusual. It turns out his step dad was abusive and was raping his mother and the guy pulled his step dad off and killed him in the struggle. He pleaded guilty to the crime and was found guilty but didn't do any time because of the circumstances.
Reply 26
TaeKwonDo
applying for BEd, want to know whether to declare this or not-
A year ago, when i was 17, i was arrested for drunk and disorderly. i was taken to a police cell where i spent the night. my finger prints were later taken and i was issued with a fine.

If there's any justice in the world, then yes it will show up - Lemar, 2005
Pedrobear
It may not show up at this stage, but I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that if you're going into teaching, your employer will be made aware of this. Teaching is probably the profession (besides medicine, perhaps) where you'll be most scrutinised and investigated. Whether this means you're 'screwed' or not I can't comment on, but I can say that you won't be able to hide it even if you try.

What about law?
Installation
What about law?

[shrug] it's not like there's a ranking :p:. I was speaking off the top of my head, but of course I'd imagine all the professions will require pretty strict background checks. Simply, of course, because you'll be working with members of the public and in particular vulnerable members of the public (children, criminals/victims and ill patients, going from teaching, law and medicine respectively).
Pedrobear
[shrug] it's not like there's a ranking :p:. I was speaking off the top of my head, but of course I'd imagine all the professions will require pretty strict background checks. Simply, of course, because you'll be working with members of the public and in particular vulnerable members of the public (children, criminals/victims and ill patients, going from teaching, law and medicine respectively).

No no, I was actually just wondering whether law would be so fussed about a minor offence like this as the other two. I thought it was but thought you knew more :P
Installation
No no, I was actually just wondering whether law would be so fussed about a minor offence like this as the other two. I thought it was but thought you knew more :P

Maybe this thread will answer your Q:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=386040
DJkG.1
Yes there is.

On a normal, standard CRB check - only criminal convictions will show up. The OP's fine / caution / 1 night in a cell will not.

On an enhanced CRB check, like that done for teachers - all police records of cautions and fines will show up. So the OP's D&D fine will appear.

Whether this makes you 'screwed' OP, I don't know. Maybe just call and ask in honesty.

I agree.
I dont think it will cause problems but i would ask them to make sure.
Reply 32
Joseph90
You should have thought about your future before you decided to do a very stupid thing when you were 17.

you seem to be forgetting what kind of ****** grandma state we live in. prick
Reply 33
duke5
If there's any justice in the world, then yes it will show up - Lemar, 2005

an outragous thing to say. it angers me intensely that this could have any impact on my future at all. i havnt hurt anyone, but yet a big, intrusive evil now has a tag on me. anyone who says good riddance to that is vile in my opinion
Reply 34
Ring your local police station and ask them. They might be able to pull your records up and tell you if it's counted as spent, which some CRB forms say not to declare. In any case they'll give the most accurate advice.

Honesty is the best policy. What's done is done and it's better to be grilled about it at interview and risk your application being treated slightly less favourably than to be thrown off your course for being dishonest about it later.
Reply 35
Renal
Not true at all, a D&D is unlikely to have any effect but really it could easily be justified that the OP is an inappropriate person to be teaching children.

yeah, just like every single man over 30 is ian huntley amirite

edit:redface:r were you judging me by my posts?
Reply 36
TaeKwonDo
yeah, just like every single man over 30 is ian huntley amirite

edit:redface:r were you judging me by my posts?
Orite. If that's what you'd prefer;

It'll all be fine, nobody will care, it won't show up, miscellaneous reassurance, etc., etc....
Reply 37
my point is that nobody should care and that it should be fine. were i to get 5 rejections all id essentially have been punished for is getting caught, the admission office knows full well that everyone's(most) got drunk and done silly things. ill admit though that the belief that they wont be this unfair and illogical is keeping me somewhat confident

all i did was go for a swim in some apparently dangerous waters and swear at a few dickheads
Reply 38
TaeKwonDo
my point is that nobody should care and that it should be fine. were i to get 5 rejections all id essentially have been punished for is getting caught, the admission office knows full well that everyone's(most) got drunk and done silly things. ill admit though that the belief that they wont be this unfair and illogical is keeping me somewhat confident

all i did was go for a swim in some apparently dangerous waters and swear at a few dickheads
Were those dickheads wearing blue suits?

Frankly, I don't give a flying **** who you think should or shouldn't care, it's irrelevant.

What matters is that you are applying for a career where you can be rejected because of something stupid you did years ago.
Reply 39
TaeKwonDo
an outragous thing to say. it angers me intensely that this could have any impact on my future at all. i havnt hurt anyone, but yet a big, intrusive evil now has a tag on me. anyone who says good riddance to that is vile in my opinion

You ought to be sent to the stocks. Once a crim always a crim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending